eMTB Options For 2024

What CrankBrothers pedals did you choose?

Stamp 1. They're the composit ones, get better reviews. If/when you strike something they don't clang you as bad as alloy, and the finish doesn't get scratched off them like tinted alloy ones do.
I really wanted the 2 or 3, the spendy ones are too rich for me, but further research showed too many riders that have sworn off the alloy pedals. Besides, they're half the price and I like cheap. I even shop at walmart. 🤣

Ordered and dispatched and should be here shortly, getting shipped from Amazon UK, but RRP makes mud guards and have a model for the front that gets bolted to the front fork bridge and eliminates the zip ties. It's designed to be bolted to certain forks, Fox 34 and 36 are in that list.

:) My Tannus order is on it's way.

View attachment 46339

Those are really cool. Like! 👍
I haven't pull the trigger yet, so I'll check those out.
One thing I don't like is the close clearance to the tire. We used to get mud and rocks packed in between on the motorbikes, and litterly stop the tire from spinning. The MuckyNutz thing can't do that.
Those do look pretty good though.
I may wait - it rains here so seldom, I'm liable to not see mud again for a year. LOL

The tannus thing is brilliant. I have them in my cart at Performance Bikes - that's the other retail site for AMain Hobbies. Super company, outstanding retailer. At $100 shipping is free.

I looked up the Salomon shoes too. I think really, any hiking shoe with a firm/rigid sole for walking on rocks, would make a good mtb shoe. I'm afraid my leather boots are going to be way too hot.

UK based with US specific web site to purchase. I know very little about them myself never seeing one but know they have a following. I mentioned them because they are using Bosch 4th gen motor.
Thanks for clarifying BillH. Finally had a chance to look at their website and their bikes look like they are up there with higher end models. Very nice with that much smaller Gen4 motor.

Whyte - never heard of them either. Nice looking eMTB for sure.

Aww, you're too kind. 😊
We are having a lot of fun over here, looking at and analyzing all the cool bikes out there. Oh man, they're a bunch of cash!

On Commencal - the reviewers, and surely Rob the UK vid guy, loves them. I did look them up briefly. But really, for that kind of money there are plenty of local options, and then I've got someone local to back up any failures. Very cool bikes.

Tonight on the way home from work I went to another local shop where I looked at bikes when we bought new ones three years ago. I couldn't remember if we got wife's Roll there, or at the other shop. Anyway, she blew up her conversion so while we're waiting for parts I'm seriously consider buying her another bike.

So yeah, they're a Specialized and Norco dealer, Pivot as well. I eye-balled the Turbo Como, it's a electrified version of her Roll, for three grand. Ouch. Very nice bike though, would be perfect for her.

Since I was there anyway, how could I resist delving into Turbo Levo? I got to try out the new SL in alloy, and a Carbon-frame Levo Comp. Oh dear, I did not realize the SL was so special - a brand new proprietary motor, 39lb full suspension mountain bike.

Both of these bikes are pretty amazing. The SL just didn't have enough assist for me. It integrates seamlessly, and is super nice, but I liked the regular Comp better. Turns out for 2020 it comes with the 700w battery pack, so it's a really nice package over their base Levo model. Basically, for a grand, the cost of the upgraded battery, you get better suspension, brakes, shifter, a whole host of stuff.

The Turbo Levo Comp is an amazing bike. It is SO comfortable, works SO well. The power is way more than anything else I've tried - much like the Bulls with MAG S I tried, but even more refined. They really build a nice bike. A 2019 is virtually the same bike, but with 500w battery, for $5300. The new 2020 with 700w pack is right at $6000. WOW! It really is their best deal all around though.

I have now determined that a size large is what I want. I have really long arms, so the extra room over a medium size bike is just perfect.

I really don't have ten grand to drop on a couple of bicycles, but these are some of the nicest bikes I've seen so far.

Hitting a few more shops tomorrow - there's a really nice shop in Newport Beach, they had a Lynx on the floor the last time I was down there, and they have Specialized too - so we'll see what else is out there. There's a very nice Trek dealer close where I bought 3 new bikes about 14 years ago. Maybe they'll have a new Rail I can try.

I'm gathering information and learning what's available. When I've shopped myself to death and out of options, I just might be ready to choose one. This is just too much fun!
I think we are all greatly enjoying the ride you are taking with your demos and report. If you are not hard pressed, why not continue with it. You are leaving a wealth of information through your journey for all of us here, however, I think when it comes to an end, we will all be standing by. Really like the Commencal Bikes, also. They look like a solid company. I believe LimboJim rides one if I am not mistaken.

Well, the deed has been done. More details later.
2019 Trance E+2 w/Fox $3750
Yup, 27.5’s. 😁

Congrats to you it is! I hope you don't stop shopping for us in your neck of the woods! LOL ;) Sounds like you saved a few bucks, that's for sure.

I don't think any of these bikes would ship to Poland :( Otherwise I would order a BH MTB from Crazy Lenny's.
I feel ya! Lenny's here in the US is a hidden gem. I am only about a 3 1/2 hour car ride away from his dealership. Truly awesome with his selection of bikes he has on the showroom floor. A nice trail out back for test rides. He sold appliances back in the day, and sometimes gave a free bike (non-electric) with purchase. The guy knows how to make a sale on just about anything he has ever sold. Kudos to him and his business success.

I was ready to plunk down my money for the Commencal. I was doing some last minute shopping to see what else was out there.

We went to three different shops, one used to be our Trek dealer but they gave them up a few years ago when Trek made their dealers exclusively Trek and so they parted ways. They had one ebike - a Aventon Pace350. I think I'll pick one up for the wife, but we want the turquoise Pace500 step-thru. We got her controller today and it's still dead - motor is fried. :( She was disappointed I didn't buy her a bike Saturday, I got one instead. LOL Maybe this week - I'm waiting to hear of they're shipping parts from China or if they're all shut down. A RadCity would work well for her too.

Another shop had a bunch of ebike folders and fat-tire bikes, lots of beach cruisers - they like those down by the beach strand.

Then I couldn't find a shop I had been to years ago, google searched but no luck, drove around in the traffic for an hour, then finally found this other little shop I hadn't heard of and they were a Giant dealer. Low and behold they had that blue one sitting there and I wasn't even sure what I was looking at. So you never know.

You can't get a Trek dealer to bring in a Rail5, you can get a Levo Comp for pretty close to six grand and up. It all made that Commencal and YT Decoy look pretty good. For $4500 that Decoy is a killer bike. And the Commencals I liked were $500 less.

As I did this whole search and research, the more I learned the more I liked the Yamaha drive. There are lots of proponents for everything, but one thing universal for the Yamaha was lack of mechanical failures, and good torque at lower cadence. That really struck home with me, and since I already had one and really liked it, it became a foregone conclusion.

I probly would have called and ordered out that BH Rebel, but they only had a medium left. In looking at all the bikes it became clear the large frames fit me better. Ergos are perfect on the Trance, just a little more leaned over than I might want. We'll see how my back and wrists do - it's a different kind of riding than the bike path, lots of up and down, standing for downhills, sitting for up. It's much more active riding. I surely got my heart rate up without even trying.

If I hadn't found this blue Trance then it would have been between the Trance E+1 and the Commencal, the latter looking better and better. Four thousand is easier to stomach than six thousand. I started out thinking less than that, but you have to adjust your sights to reality. That Haibike All Mountain is kind of a sleeper for $2500, I'm actually surprised there's any of those left at that price. If I could have got a turbo-levo for under five grand I probly would have bit. The new 2020 with the 700w battery is the shiznit, but it's six grand plus tax. The SL is even more. They really are nice bikes at any price.

They had one ebike - a Aventon Pace350. I think I'll pick one up for the wife, but we want the turquoise Pace500 step-thru. We got her controller today and it's still dead - motor is fried. :( She was disappointed I didn't buy her a bike Saturday, I got one instead. LOL Maybe this week - I'm waiting to hear of they're shipping parts from China or if they're all shut down. A RadCity would work well for her too.
No Turbo Como for your wife?

I looked up the Salomon shoes too. I think really, any hiking shoe with a firm/rigid sole for walking on rocks, would make a good mtb shoe. I'm afraid my leather boots are going to be way too hot.

I have the solomons as my limping around shoe. They're great walking shoes but NOT good mtb shoes - no where near as grippy as the 510's , much less ability to move your foot around on the pedals because the tread sticks against the pins. Most importantly, no padding / armour.

Adequate, but not outstanding on the bike.

As I did this whole search and research, the more I learned the more I liked the Yamaha drive. There are lots of proponents for everything, but one thing universal for the Yamaha was lack of mechanical failures, and good torque at lower cadence. That really struck home with me, and since I already had one and really liked it, it became a foregone conclusion.

Well....guess this would be a good time for the 2020 Yamaha pwx2 ride report ?

My 2018 syncdrive pro ( mk 1 pwx) started playing up a few weeks back - an intermittent torque sensor error that would have power randomly dropping . It only had about 2800 km on it, but those were HARD km . Lets just say the error started after a series of creek crossings and I was surprised that giant agreed to replace it .

Anyway, today I got a brand new 2020 model giant syncdrive pro installed (mk 2 pwx yamaha.) - WOW !!!!!

Whoever is responsible for advertising at giant / yamaha deserves a massive kick in the butt . This thing rewrites the yamaha book - pretty much every criticism in every magazine about the yamaha is now obsolete, except we still get that lovely instant engagement that scares the journalists ( but now we get an auto mode if we want shimano slow engagement ). Why hasn't this been front page news?

Quiet - the low speed growl us gone , now it sounds like the old motor did around 90 cadence but right across the range. Over 15 k I couldn't hear the motor over the tyres ( dh maxis on gravel) . I think I'll muss the growl, but I definitely like the peace.

High cadence support - yup, you read that right. I used to be a pedal plodder, 60-70 felt natural to me so the old yamaha made sense. But over the past year my natural cadence had crept up to about 80 and I tended to ride over the top of the torque curve - very efficient , but whenever I needed a surge for obstacles the bike would wheeze out " nah...not today" . Well, the mk 2 is happy to spin! I kept seeing 100 on the cadence screen - and that was punching uphill! Still the same grunt down low , but now the power band us twice as wide.

It also seems tighter. My old motor had this unnerving hesitation then clunk for a fraction of a rotation when starting to pedal. There was an every so slight wobble in the crank, almost like some free play. It'd been there since new and never got worse, so I figured it was normal. This new motor feels like a conventional set of cranks!

Sooo...the big question....how mych more is this worth? Do you buy a 2019 or 2020 giant?

I was perfectly happy with the old motor and would have no reservation buying a 2019 Giant.

If I had a choice between a 19 and 20 , it's hard to say how much more I'd pay for the upgraded motor. I guess it makes more difference to ride quality than, say, a fancy set of pedals or bars - so perhaps $3-400 ? ( oz) . I don't think I'd accept a lower spec bike for the newer motor, so I'd definitely get a 19 trance 2 instead of a 20 trance 3 . But more importantly, I'm sooooo glad my old motor started playing up!!!

Stamp 1. They're the composit ones, get better reviews. If/when you strike something they don't clang you as bad as alloy, and the finish doesn't get scratched off them like tinted alloy ones do.
I really wanted the 2 or 3, the spendy ones are too rich for me, but further research showed too many riders that have sworn off the alloy pedals. Besides, they're half the price and I like cheap. I even shop at walmart. 🤣

Those are really cool. Like! 👍
I haven't pull the trigger yet, so I'll check those out.
One thing I don't like is the close clearance to the tire. We used to get mud and rocks packed in between on the motorbikes, and litterly stop the tire from spinning. The MuckyNutz thing can't do that.
Those do look pretty good though.
I may wait - it rains here so seldom, I'm liable to not see mud again for a year. LOL

The tannus thing is brilliant. I have them in my cart at Performance Bikes - that's the other retail site for AMain Hobbies. Super company, outstanding retailer. At $100 shipping is free.

Some mud is usually a given near me pretty much any of the four seasons. I like the bolt on idea mostly because a) I need some kind of protection and b) if I want to ride any decent trails I have to transport bike and finally c) my hitch mounted bike rack grips by front wheel. Constantly removing and replacing zip ties is a no-go, and besides that they always seem to mar the paint finish enough to remind you they were there.

If your just looking to keep mud out of your face and eyes maybe just get something like the NeoGuard. Any crud that accumulates on it will shed as soon as the fork compresses. Easy on and off.

1582638650437.png

I f you haven't bought already, I bought a GIYO high pressure shock pump. Reasonable and good ratings.

I bought my Tannus inserts direct from Tannus usa. I could have saved shipping fees I see by going your route through Performance Bicycle.

That is one nice bike you bought, speaking as another Giant owner. That thing has a 36 or 38/50 drivetrain, right? No wonder it climbs!

Have you looked at the Liv stuff? Owned by Giant, women's specific brand. Their Amiti might be something your wife would like a lot. Won't climb like yours, though!

@PDoz - now you tell me. :rolleyes: 🤣
Lucky you get a new motor!

No Turbo Como for your wife?

Another three grand? Maybe the Amiti - might get that for around $2200.

That is one nice bike you bought, speaking as another Giant owner. That thing has a 36 or 38/50 drivetrain, right? No wonder it climbs!

Have you looked at the Liv stuff? Owned by Giant, women's specific brand. Their Amiti might be something your wife would like a lot. Won't climb like yours, though!

Thanks! I like it a lot. I think I got a lot of bike for a grand or two less than I could have easily spent on one.

And yes, was looking for bikes for her, the Amiti looks good. I think it's a better bike than the Trek Verve+, similar to the Turbo Vado, but Class1. The specialized are quite a bit more $$, even for the base Como with 27.5 wheels. I think she would be ok for any wheel size, but bigger wheels do roll nicer. There are a few '19 Amiti's left. We tried the fit on my Explore, but it's just a bit too big - she can barely stand over the top bar. I just think it would be too much to handle. She really needs a step-thru.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a Aventon Pace500, or a RadCity. I like the 650b wheels on the Pace, but the City is pretty solid, and they are the same price.

On her Roll conversion - at least I am getting response from Greenergy - the hub-drive kit company in China. I uploaded a vid today of what it's doing, and everything we've done to troubleshoot it. Frankly I think it's a failed hall sensor in the motor. The cheap bike kit project has bit me in the azz. LOL It's liable to take weeks or months to get parts out of China. 😒

Last edited:
Won't? With 70 Nm torque? :D

I think he meant that based on gearing comparison. ;)

I've ridden both hub models and they ride well. I'm weighing options... I am loathing to spend a couple of grand and then get a quick resolve on the failed hub. I guess having two bikes for her wouldn't be the end of the world.

I've considered trying to trade in my nearly new Explore, but the Trance isn't a very good road bike. LOL With some smooth tires it would probly be just okay. I imagine a spare wheel set would cost nearly half as much as a new bike.

Last edited:
I've considered trying to trade in my nearly new Explore, but the Trance isn't a very good road bike. LOL With some smooth tires it would probly be just okay. I imagine a spare wheel set would cost nearly half as much as a new bike.

I was thinking this also as I road yesterday and the eMTB rear suspension floated over all the pavement irregularities that I'm usually dodging on my no rear suspension Evelo Aurora despite seat post shock thingy. The difference is jarring, literally. :)

Keeping the Evelo Aurora if just for the NuVinci Harmony CVT hub. Perfect for a lot stop and go biking. No shifting required.

Your wife deserves the best of best, @Browneye ! Why shouldn't she ride a good mid-motor e-bike made by women for women? And it is Giant. All stays in the family!

@PDoz - now you tell me. :rolleyes: 🤣

tried the fit on my Explore, but it's just a bit too big - she can barely stand over the top bar. I just think it would be too much to handle. She really needs a step-thru.

Have you tried her on your trance ? Between the dropper post and lower frame she might be comfortable?

Back