eMTB Options For 2024

Take a look at a set of five ten freerider pros - mine feel like a reasonable compromise between function and protection. Impact absorbing foam in the footbox , grippy soles with almost enough flexibility to allow pedal feel / control. They're a bit hot and not even close to being waterproof , but the best compromise I could find . If you want even more protection, look at the impact pro .

I should probably clarify, though, that my feet aren't normal - the left copped 5 brocken bones under my motoguzzi , the right got crushed under a tree brach motorbike riding in the snow...both ankles were sacrificed at various times during my ultimate motorbike boot research phase....right foot has been speared by a branch.....I actually got back into mtb riding because I couldn't walk further than 1.5 km....it's been fantastic rehab for my feet!

I've tried riding in old style leather bushwalking boots and low cut adv motorbike boots - there wasn't enough pedal feel and I was smashing my foot everyride, plus they were horribly inefficient to pedal in.

Next I tried the x country runner thing ( soloman xa pro goretex lined beasts ) - they were functional but the chunky tread was limited in options for foot placement - ie they would lock into the pedal pins. I need to move my foot around during rides as it fatigues / starts complaining, plus I have a few habits carried over from the bmx era so move my foot for jumps / berms etc.

I dabbled in skate and sailing shoes but felt naked. Sprogette wears five ten districts which look like skate shoes but provide better soles / a very small amount of protection - I don't have anything resembling fashion sense so went for better protection.

Big Five Ten fan for years. I have the Freerider Contacts now but for years rode, and still do, wearing the original Camp Four or Tennie Canvas. C4 rubber, hard friction sole, but they work. I prefer the overall fit of the old vs the new. Still not convinced quality hasn't taken a hit since Adidas acquisition.

I completely agree to that, having the same on my Vado (only I have got the SLX 11 cassette).

EDIT: Your opinion on Giant Stance E+ 2, friends? Any good? Just casually looking for an FS e-bike for a beginner, MSRP <= US$3600

Here is a nice deal for a used 2018 Large Giant Full-E +1 Pro @$3,300 and a 2019 Medium Giant Trance E+2 @$2,600 :

1582517560439.png

marketListingPTP_31680_3e8dfa.jpg

Last edited:
Killer bike for $3299.

Riding today made me feel like when I was 16 and I got my first real dirtbike, a Penton Six Days, 1973
I was thinking earlier today, the Cerriani forks on those old bikes were 32-35mm as well. And those were 2-stroke dirtbikes. Now we can get them on a 'lectric-bike. 😄

Dead link on the blue one, but yeah, that is my bike!

I haven't put a bottle cage on mine - I think I'll put a pump and kit there - I used a hydration back left over from my dirtbike days today, and it was perfect for tools and a tube, an apple, 2 liters of ice-water. It was mid-60's today and rained yesterday, so mud was flying. LOL. It needs one of those mud guard thingys, it flies everywhere.

I did get a flat, looks like a thorn or some kind of sliver. Turned the front inside out and found it, put a microscopic pin-prick in the tube. I had to submerge it in the kitchen sink to find it.
If this continues to be a problem I'll have to look for thicker tire.

Last edited:
I found a hill today, it looked like the ultimate hillclimb. About a 20% grade, I doubt you could walk up it, so I put it in first and the pas on 5 and it climbed right up it. The front was coming up from time to time, but the rear gripped and it went all the way up without stopping. At the top there was a big sign for coming the other way, 'WARNING STEEP HILL - BICYCLES USE LOWER TRAIL'.
Yeah, great...but I made it!
This bike flat out climbs. 👍

There were quite a few hills, but most were not too steep. We've lived here for 30 years and I didn't know this area was near us, maybe 5 miles from our home.
We usually have brighter weather, but like I say, it rained yesterday, and it was partly cloudy today, kind of unusual for southern-ca.

I did get a flat, looks like a thorn or some kind of sliver. Turned the front inside out and found it, put a microscopic pin-prick in the tube. I had to submerge it in the kitchen sink to find it.
If this continues to be a problem I'll have to look for thicker tire.

Take a look in the box that came with the bike, there should be tubeless stems and sealant?

Now time to do some thinking

plan A - do what everyone else does, convert to tubeless and carry the original tubes + a pump + a set of plugs as a 100% guarantee you will never get another flat. Or discover the bloody things never really seal properly and you're forever pumping up tyres before rides / looking for leaks et al

plan B - invest in something like tannus armour ( https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/tannus-armour-tyre-insert ) , perhaps squirt the tubeless sealant into the tubes as an extra precaution, and then let ys know hiw awesome it is....

Would a maximum protected tyre such as the Schwalbe Marathon e-Plus withstand the thorn, @PDoz? What do you think?

Take a look in the box that came with the bike, there should be tubeless stems and sealant?

Now time to do some thinking

plan A - do what everyone else does, convert to tubeless and carry the original tubes + a pump + a set of plugs as a 100% guarantee you will never get another flat. Or discover the bloody things never really seal properly and you're forever pumping up tyres before rides / looking for leaks et al

plan B - invest in something like tannus armour ( https://www.mtbdirect.com.au/tannus-armour-tyre-insert ) , perhaps squirt the tubeless sealant into the tubes as an extra precaution, and then let ys know hiw awesome it is....

Well, one learns something new every day.

At the moment I'm fully vested in Plan A. I have the 27.5+ higher volume tires and like to be able to run at lower psi when I want. Tubeless was a given. Everything you say one needs to bring on rides is spot on.

As for Plan B, I just researched the Tannus Armour, you can run lower psi and it mitigates pinch flats. I priced them out, including the insert and new smaller tubes required I can go all in for under $100 US. That's pretty fair I think. No need to by any tubeless sealant, have plenty.

Thank you for this @PDoz

Ever since I learned the difference between Schwalbe's Snakeskin vs Liteskin and Maxxis' Double Down vs EXO casings, I stopped getting flats and never saw the value of going tubeless for my purposes. I change tires too often for various conditions to be constantly cleaning up sealant etc. I do understand why people love tubeless riding, though...

I don't mind tubes - they're easy to manage, easy to patch, easy to carry a spare. I think I gave away my Co2 inflater when I sold my motorcycles. 😒
I have never liked sealant. Even on the big bikes. Tubeless was fine on them but a PITA to get the tires off, and especially without marring the rims, even more especially if they were black. The biggest issue was breaking the bead. We would put the bike up on the centerstand, then place the wheel and tire under the sidestand, and pull the bike over 'till it pushed the sidewall down to break the bead. Quite the balance technique.

I had the bike tire apart in minutes, found the leak, oh my it was tiny - a pinhole. Since I was at home it was easy to spend some time finding what caused the puncture. If I had been in the field putting a new tube in it probly would have punctured that one too. No outward sign on the tire. It was some kind of thorn, nearly hard as steel, and a piece of it was still in the tire, just poking into the inside.

We always carried a spare tube or two, if you got a flat you put a new tube in, patched the old one whence back at camp.

I'll look at the armour thing, probly the way I'll go. I have a loathing for that sealant stuff. LOL

BTW, I've never seen an indexing axle nut like this one has. Found a 'how-to' online from FOX. That's a pretty cool quick-disconnect setup on those forks! Also found the rebound damper adjust down at the bottom of the leg as well. I REALLY like these forks.

EDIT: Nice article from states-side on the Tannus Armour inserts: https://blisterreview.com/gear-reviews/tannus-armour-tire-inserts
It's a really detailed analysis and review of all aspects. They're heavier than regular tubes or tubeless, but for a e-bike I like the concept. 👍

Last edited:
Talking about shoes, I have found these work very well. You can wear them everyday. Notice the lacing system, you either hate or love it. You can also get waterproof for riding in wet conditions. Salomon XA Pro 3D trail running shoes. Look for them on sale at REI or Moosejaw.

Oh, and an updated bike review...

Sunday morning I got out for a trailride on the new bike. Set tire pressure as a guess - about 25psi, seemed squishy enough. The trail is an easy to intermediate, gentle grades, some side-shoots of narrow trails, some mud from the previous rains. When the tires pickup mud they fling it everywhere. I haven't been that dirty in a number of years. LOL

As in the YT Decoy I tried out, the suspension just isn't noticeable. In other words, it works so well you don't even pay attention to it. As a new offroad rider I'm focused on the terrain ahead, avoiding obstacles, and keeping a mind on where I'm going. Suspension just flat works fantastic. And I definitely got lost, over and over, couldn't find the trail, missed the turns, rode it backwards - a complete idiot out there on the loop. It's a 11.2 mile loop, but it crosses main arterials in several places, and the connecting trail isn't always directly across. So I got a very round-about tour of the whole area. LOTS of parks and trails there. Very scenic, plenty of pedestrians, kids, and dogs, and lots of bikes, but it's so big it never felt crowded. I imagine it will be more so when the weather warms up.

Since there weren't any really hardcore downhills I didn't use the dropper-seat much. It sure is slick though. I wore bike-shorts, so the seat was fine, it's kind of hard. The bars are 800mm wide, and although the stance seems kind of head-low to me, I may well get used to it. I'll run with it stock for awhile, see how I do.

That the Sync-Drive assist works exactly like my Giant Explore, it was easy to dial it in for what I wanted it to do. As with my Explore, I rode it mostly in level 3. For the big hill - 5. When I got tired near the end - 4. Each step is quite a noticeable bump in assist. Seamless, flawless, are the descriptions that come to mind.

The PW-X has a buzz to it, some describe it as a 'growl', but it just sounds like straight-cut reduction gears to me. And it has already quieted down a bit. It's not much louder than the rear hub coasting pawl-tick, which is pretty noticeable on the Shimano cassette. Nothing offensive, just different than my other setups. But yeah, the 'X' motor is noticeably louder than my SE. And yes, it does come on stronger at full assist. When you need it it's there. I'm going to get good range - over two hours of riding, up and down, fast and slow, all on dirt, 3-bars of charge left, or about 60%. Maybe 30 miles plus?

EDIT: Just hooked up the RideControl app and the battery shows 43%. It was at 96 when I started. So just over half. Range looks more like 25. I'll get a better feel in a couple more rides.

Shifting is flawless, brakes flawless, handling is great - it's very lively. I noticed it was easier to turn and was quicker handling compared to the Decoy - which had 29 wheels and slacker geometry.

It has been mentioned elsewhere that the bottom of the bike is rather low and some thought the 170mm crank arms were too long, but I didn't have any problems with pedal strike like I did on the Decoy, but then I wasn't doing anything technical either. Will keep an eye on that. Going to order some CrankBrothers pedals. The shop gave me a cheap pair of 'SHADOW' composite pedals - when they got muddy they were a little slick. They're nicer than cage-pedals so I'll likely put them on my Explore. Heck, I may even sell my Explore - the Trance will work well enough for the road. I would look at getting another set of wheels and mount smooth tires on them. In fact, if anyone can recommend an inexpensive way to do that, I'm all ears.

I felt comfortable nearly right away on it at some good speed. All of those years of dirtbike riding gave me a very similar skillset, and the bike soon felt really natural, very comfortable. Not a single 'oh-$hit' moment, always composed and it went where I pointed it, stopped when I wanted.

So now I am even more excited about it than I was before getting the bike. I got really worried there would be no place to ride it, but I could spend a few months just riding this loop - it is really fun and very scenic. It also turns out the e-bikes are becoming more and more accepted, and they're pretty much riding them everywhere here where regular bikes are allowed - no one is enforcing ebike bans. So there are several networks of trails around here, enough for several years of entertainment.

I haven't had that much fun since I sold my motorbikes. I can see it opening up a whole new realm of activity for me. As I like to say, about the most fun you can have with your clothes on. 🤣

I'm not a 'selfie' guy, but got one with the bike yesterday. LOL Yes, these are $375 prescription Eye-7 glasses with foamie wind guards. I can't see across the room without glasses.

Last edited:
Geez, I've got $350 worth of goodies in my online carts - pedals, knee and elbow guards, Tannus Armours and tubes, MuckyNutz fender, shock pump...OUCH. 😆

Ordered and dispatched and should be here shortly, getting shipped from Amazon UK, but RRP makes mud guards and have a model for the front that gets bolted to the front fork bridge and eliminates the zip ties. It's designed to be bolted to certain forks, Fox 34 and 36 are in that list.

:) My Tannus order is on it's way.

1582577157039.png

Last edited:
Back