eMTB Options For 2024

Here is another option to mount a spare fender to a rear rack... it works well in a pinch on my road bike. ;)

1613149719408.png
1613149736231.png

I was thinking something like that but with mountain bike fenders and mounted underneath the rack fairly close to the tire.

About 30 years ago I was riding a honda transalp at the blue light " enduro".
With my wife on the back.
Amongst 1000 riders on dedicated trailbikes .
What could possibly go wrong?

Transalps had a front mudguard hugging the wheel, so I discovered the challenges of steering a motorbike at speed with the front wheel locked by mud up against the guard. After one particularly greasy slope I failed to negotiate the puddle at the bottom - gravity and fate won.

For some reason, I'm not excited by running tyre hugging mud guards.

I made a comment in another thread about snow and how there are different properties at different temperatures and humidity. Well, there's different types of mud too. The high clay content stuff that sticks to everything is just a bugger to deal with. I remember one ride where my tires were so clogged, i had to look around for some terrain that i could carefully ride and try to get the tires to release it, otherwise I was going to crash. And that "mud" was mild compared to some stuff I dealt with at work 35 years ago when trying to dig up some telecom cables. Don't miss that - you felt like you were going to dislocate your knees trying to walk...

I made a comment in another thread about snow and how there are different properties at different temperatures and humidity. Well, there's different types of mud too. The high clay content stuff that sticks to everything is just a bugger to deal with. I remember one ride where my tires were so clogged, i had to look around for some terrain that i could carefully ride and try to get the tires to release it, otherwise I was going to crash. And that "mud" was mild compared to some stuff I dealt with at work 35 years ago when trying to dig up some telecom cables. Don't miss that - you felt like you were going to dislocate your knees trying to walk...

flash back to walking on clay and getting taller with every step

Interesting read, FlatSix, PDoz, Randall! So far the ultralightweight SKS mudguards work fine for me. PDoz, thank you for your advices so much! (Just back from a -12°C ride to an off-license) :)

Mud is mud. What has been more irritating to me was rainwater (or worse, the winter "brine") spraying onto my face...

Interesting read, FlatSix, PDoz, Randall! So far the ultralightweight SKS mudguards work fine for me. PDoz, thank you for your advices so much! (Just back from a -12°C ride to an off-license) :)

Mud is mud. What has been more irritating to me was rainwater (or worse, the winter "brine") spraying onto my face...

Yeah, it's a bit cool here today @25 c with rain .

Mud is definitely NOT all the same! Anyone who has been caught in the Australian outback after rain knows the difference between mud and MUD . If you feel like an insight , take a look here https://www.lenbeadell.com.au/. Even now, when it rains on these outback roads they instantly become impassable sticky yet slippery bogs. With a $10,000 per wheel fine if you continue.

Sprog 3 got his 4x4 ute bogged to the chassis once when he was driving around our paddock and broke through the topsoil into the clay layer. He was 8 at the time. He now knows the difference between mud and MUDF4AA8B6B-EB02-4FB3-A549-80BC87344C9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Not bike related but let me tell you an anecdote about mud. It was some 1972 when our families were removed from Warsaw neighbourhood of Wawrzyszew. It was the time when large housing estates were built in Warsaw; my family was moved to a block of flats in New Saska Kępa, where another housing estate was built. The concept was to bulldoze the area and build the blocks very fast.

You won't be able to even fancy a housing estate built in pure MUD. No sidewalks, no paved streets. Just pure mud. Several first years of living in the new quarter meant wading in deep mud in all wet seasons... My shoes or boots have never been more soiled than in those years.

A mistake. Don't buy. Broken on first use. e-MTB is too heavy for that piece of plastic.

Thanks for the update, I took a look at the design and might still make a metal version as a stand at home - but I've got to say topeak isn't exactly a high quality brand. Or maybe I'm just fussy?

Thanks for the update, I took a look at the design and might still make a metal version as a stand at home - but I've got to say topeak isn't exactly a high quality brand. Or maybe I'm just fussy?
Topeak happen to make good things, too. The rack I'm using on my Trance is really good!

Topeak happen to make good things, too. The rack I'm using on my Trance is really good!

Sorry, but if you get a metalworker to compare a topeak rack with the things bike packers use ( eg surley) you'll notice the corners cut for mass production. As an example, under that " tetrarack" sticker the lower supporting bar is flattened / tapered near the weld. I'm no expert, but I do remember an engineering mate talking about trying to avoid welding sections with different heat penetration. Admittedly we were building racks for a motorbike that carted luggage across some of the most remote parts of Australia.... and this particular engineer was particularly good at his job. ( and destroying perfectly good motorbikes in remote parts if the world)

For what it's worth, I think there is a topeak rack on the back of my wifes bike. Plus all my kids have topeak adjustable bottle holders. But there's also a pile of busted topeak tools / bags / pumps etc in the corner of shame at shed de paul.

There are only two racks appropriate for full-suspension e-MTB (up to 2.8" tyre) I'm aware of: Topeak Tetrarack M2 and Old Man Mountain... (The latter is unavailable in Europe).

There's also the Tailfin. The CF rack is quite pricey but they do make an alloy version. It even appears that it's compatible with fully suspended MTBs sporting droppers. Lots of options for mounting too.

tailfin-aeropack-alloy-s_studio3.jpg

Back