eMTB Options For 2024

Here is some additional information on handlebar width by MTB discipline. ;)

Different Disciplines - Different Handlebar Widths

On average, it's common to see the narrowest mountain bike handlebars on cross country bikes, and the widest on downhill bikes.

For XC bikes, using a longer stem gets you in a better position on the bike to put out more power efficiently. A narrower bar tends to suit that longer stem. When standing, the longer stem pulls your center of mass forward on the bike. If the bars paired with that stem are too wide, the steering will feel even slower, you will be bent over too much at the hips, and a strong riding position will be compromised. Narrower bars are used in this case to keep your chest open even when leaning forward in a climbing position.

• XC Bikes: 680mm - 740mm bar width
For downhill bikes, using a wider bar gives you a good stable feel, you have more leverage in the corners, and that all gives you the confidence to ride more aggressively. Think of wider handlebars as having power steering for your car. If the bars are too wide, your body position on the bike may be compromised, and you are also at a much higher risk to tag your hands on trees passing by.
  • Downhill Bikes: 760mm - 800mm bar width
Handlebar widths for enduro bikes are somewhere in between the two. From regular trail riding to the Enduro World Series, having handlebars that give you the control and stability on the downhills along with being in an optimal pedaling position and fitting between tight trees is the name of the game. It is a balance and important to find what is comfortable for you!
  • Enduro Bikes: 740mm - 780mm bar width
1606168982553.png

Last edited:
We're all built differently and have different riding preferences.

I have wide shoulders but decades of abuse has dictated a "unique " riding style.... so I run 780 mm wide bars , higher than most but also a shorter stem . Think evil child of a meerkat that was loved by a gorilla.....

On less aggressive trails I vary my seat height and move my hands in a little on the bars, but when I'm muscling the bike through technical terrain I need the elbow out and aggressive attack position specifically because of my shoulder injuries .

I hopped on that trance x29 on the weekend and it felt weird - bar width and reach was perfect, but he had them swept back so they tilted down - drawing my elbows in. No wonder ge kept running wide through corners and hitting trees!

My daughters scott has the bars about 5 mm closer but another 5 mm lower than I prefer. It feels fantastic gor the first 20 minutes but any longer than that and I'm stuffed the next day.

It's hard to understand my a few mm in bar possition makes such a difference - especially since I spend a LOT of my time up on the pegs jumping around like there are bullants in my undies....

I reckon the handlebar width is designed for the intended purpose of given e-bike type. I feel the same comfort when I ride my 680 mm handlebar Vado or 780 mm handlebar Trance.
I am experimenting with HB width. My eMTB has stock 780mm bars, which seem okay. I am taking off approx 1/2 inch from each side to see how that feels. Either way, i think it should be okay. My reach seems comfortable along with an adjustable stem, so I'll see if I notice a change in comfort. My other concern is clipping trees, etc with wider bars. I have already had a couple of swollen fingers due to wider style bars.

Take a look at the research done by SQ Labs on this subject. They found that the narrow inner bar position was more ergonomic and more efficient in watts used.

I may test these Innerbarends on my EMTB. ;)

Innerbarends® study | SQlab Online Shop (sq-lab.com)

View attachment 72311
I also like this concept. I was always use to the outer bar ends. These remind of the ergonomics applied to the "Logitech MX Master" computer mouse that has the same gripping position.

I did get quite a few miles on the Orbea over our trip, but not nearly as many as the Trance, which I estimate over a hundred. Way fun out in AZ, can't wait to go back.

On even a modest incline the Orbea feels like a boat-anchor - can make about 6-7mph where the Trance would be going 14-17 for the same effort on level 2 or 3 assist. The Minion DHF on the front of the Orbea really drags, and it's obviously become more of a XC bike to me, it's never going to be a climber. So I got a IKON 2.35 for the back, moved the REKON 2.4 to the front, and reset the tubeless installs. Looks great, will surely improve pedal-ability.

The Rekon is just a little more aggressive compared to the Ikon, both are fast type 'racing' XC tires with some extra bite for trailing. If I'm going to shuttle the bike and down-hill it, I can swap the DHF back in the front. Sizing is better too, the 2.6 tires are way beefy and more traction than needed for how this bike actually gets ridden.

So far I really like the Maxxis tires, great selection in styles and sizes to narrow down what works best for type of riding. I'm keeping my Minon DHF on the fromt of the Trance, putting the Rekon back on the rear. The DHR I got is a 2.8 and is way more tire than I need - it actually launched me over backwards on a trail last week. And it's really draggy.

DHF:

85956-00-d-138377.jpg

Ikon:

s-l640.jpg

Rekon:

tyre-image-rekon_m.png

I did get quite a few miles on the Orbea over our trip, but not nearly as many as the Trance, which I estimate over a hundred. Way fun out in AZ, can't wait to go back.

On even a modest incline the Orbea feels like a boat-anchor - can make about 6-7mph where the Trance would be going 14-17 for the same effort on level 2 or 3 assist. The Minion DHF on the front of the Orbea really drags, and it's obviously become more of a XC bike to me, it's never going to be a climber. So I got a IKON 2.35 for the back, moved the REKON 2.4 to the front, and reset the tubeless installs. Looks great, will surely improve pedal-ability.

The Rekon is just a little more aggressive compared to the Ikon, both are fast type 'racing' XC tires with some extra bite for trailing. If I'm going to shuttle the bike and down-hill it, I can swap the DHF back in the front. Sizing is better too, the 2.6 tires are way beefy and more traction than needed for how this bike actually gets ridden.

So far I really like the Maxxis tires, great selection in styles and sizes to narrow down what works best for type of riding. I'm keeping my Minon DHF on the fromt of the Trance, putting the Rekon back on the rear. The DHR I got is a 2.8 and is way more tire than I need - it actually launched me over backwards on a trail last week. And it's really draggy.

DHF:

85956-00-d-138377.jpg

Ikon:

s-l640.jpg

Rekon:

tyre-image-rekon_m.png
Chris-Nice comparison on the tire tread configurations. Looks like the Ikon would be best suited as an all-rounder style out of the 3 you have referenced. The DHF on the front looks like that would be the safest bet for any aggressive downhill rides. I would think the chunkier the better for those rides as well. Ride safe.

Chris-Nice comparison on the tire tread configurations. Looks like the Ikon would be best suited as an all-rounder style out of the 3 you have referenced. The DHF on the front looks like that would be the safest bet for any aggressive downhill rides. I would think the chunkier the better for those rides as well. Ride safe.

I just ordered a DHR II with EXO+ for the TranceE rear. I got a 2.8 from a fellow member here, but have since found out it's kind of oversized for the 35mm wide rim. Relatively cheap date to update to something similar that fits better, a wee bit lighter, and the 'plus' puncture protection. Seems the stock tires that come on these bikes are the cheapest 'dual-compound' versions. Upgrading to 3C MaxxTerra and Exo+ is a step up in performance. It has taken me months of looking at all their coding to be able to understand any of it. LOL

Happy with going tubeless still - changed both front and rear on the Orbea and there was about half the latex sealant left - I'm using about 3oz for these size tires. One stem was pretty plugged, the other just a bit. Cleaned everything and re-seated the tires, no issues. Ordered more 'Stan's' too. A metalized pipe cleaner works great for the presta stems.

I now have a number of tires I won't be using if anybody wants a cheap-deal - half off list, plus postage. I would have to get the compound and construction coding for these, (edit: Maxxis codes added. All tires 2.4 and up are considered 'WT' or wide-track by Maxxis)
All are new take-offs or nearly new. Can post pics, will enter a listing in classifieds, but here they are:
  1. 29x2.5 HighRollerII 3C MAXTERRA EXO TR
  2. 27.5x2.8 Minion DHF EXO TR (dual compound)
  3. 27.5x2.8 Minion DHRII EXO TR (dual compound)
  4. 27.5x2.6 Rekon EXO TR (dual compound)

Last edited:
I just ordered a DHR II with EXO+ for the TranceE rear. I got a 2.8 from a fellow member here, but have since found out it's kind of oversized for the 35mm wide rim. Relatively cheap date to update to something similar that fits better, a wee bit lighter, and the 'plus' puncture protection. Seems the stock tires that come on these bikes are the cheapest 'dual-compound' versions. Upgrading to 3C MaxxTerra and Exo+ is a step up in performance. It has taken me months of looking at all their coding to be able to understand any of it. LOL

Happy with going tubeless still - changed both front and rear on the Orbea and there was about half the latex sealant left - I'm using about 3oz for these size tires. One stem was pretty plugged, the other just a bit. Cleaned everything and re-seated the tires, no issues. Ordered more 'Stan's' too.

I now have a number of tires I won't be using if anybody wants a cheap-deal - half off list, plus postage. I would have to get the compound and construction coding for these, (edit: Maxxis codes added. All tires 2.4 and up are considered 'WT' or wide-track by Maxxis)
All are new take-offs or nearly new. Can post pics, will enter a listing in classifieds, but here they are:
  1. 29x2.5 HighRollerII 3C MAXTERRA EXO TR
  2. 27.5x2.8 Minion DHF EXO TR (dual compound)
  3. 27.5x2.8 Minion DHRII EXO TR (dual compound)
  4. 27.5x2.6 Rekon EXO TR (dual compound)
"2.8 from a fellow member here, but have since found out it's kind of oversized for the 35mm wide rim".- You indicated kinda oversized meaning they do not fit inside the fork clearance or the tires are too large for the rims? Mine came stock with 584X35mm wide sized rims with Nobby Nics 2.8s. Once my tires are worn down, I plan on replacing with either Smart Sams or another type of all rounder for the type of riding I do. They seem to work fine for me. Hope you get those sold at that bargain price. Good place to sell right here. ;)

Maxxis says for a 2.8 tire use a rim 40-45mm wide at the bead.
The 2.6 is good for35-40. Too narrow or too wide pinches the normal profile of the tire, resulting in a tread that is too flat or too curved. It affects the overall grip of the tire. Everything fits in a modern fork or mtb rear subframe.

GT is one of those obscure brands, eh??
That kind of riding is more like 'trials' riding.
We used to get up into the granite rocks above Lucerne Valley where you couldn't even walk.

Maxxis says for a 2.8 tire use a rim 40-45mm wide at the bead.
The 2.6 is good for35-40. Too narrow or too wide pinches the normal profile of the tire, resulting in a tread that is too flat or too curved. It affects the overall grip of the tire. Everything fits in a modern fork or mtb rear subframe.
You will find alot of conflicting info on this.

My Bulls eMTB came with 35mm rims and nobby nic 27.5x2.8, I seriously doubt Bulls would do this if it wasnt correct

Here is what WTB has to say.
MTB_Tire_Rim_Compatibility.jpg

And here is the chart for Maxxis. Run whatcha brung.

Inteded UseTire Width (in)Inner Rim Width (mm)
XC Racing2.00 - 2.2020 - 25
Light Trail2.20 - 2.4025 - 30
AM/Enduro2.30 - 2.5028 - 35
2.6035 - 40
Plus2.80 - 3.0040 - 45
Fat3.80 - 4.0070 - 80
4.8090 - 100

As I own a Trance almost identical to @Browneye's (only MY is different), I confirm Giant provides 35 mm WT rims and the stock tyres are 27.5x2.60" Maxxis downhill ones.

Back