eMTB Options For 2024

From the stories we hear over here, I am not sure I'd want to be riding through spider webs in Australia. You've got some scary stuff over there (we're told).

Mind you, the other day I popped out of a creek bed and up to the top of a ravine and surprised a very healthy Coyote in my path. It sauntered away and kept a close eye on me for a minute or so before disappearing down the same slope I'd just climbed. It was so healthy and large I had a double take as I'm pretty sure we don't get wolves in the city. Bears, Cougars, Bobcats, Deer, Moose etc... But not Wolves.

A good one! I can't only understand the ride map that indicates you were riding downhill? (267 m descent, 1 m climb).

The map indicates the track is supposed to be down hill only, but it was mid week and there was nobody around so I took my chances riding up (in reverse).

It's amazing how your perspective changes riding UP a track you usually ride down! As an example , I'd never noticed the hole or the rut in the track at the top right of this photo - we just float off the tree root and I'm looking for the next braking point.

A7F5BA6F-D284-4AD9-ACC7-703FA11B6AB8.jpeg

Y'all better be saving up your pennies for your next ebike because it will very likely have to come from Europe and be double what most of us had allotted for our budgets. The caca is going to be hitting the rotating blades with China from now on out. Don't ask me why as that would entail a political discussion and we can't have that now can we? Actually I'm surprised bikes are still getting across the Pacific now.

Y'all better be saving up your pennies for your next ebike because it will very likely have to come from Europe and be double what most of us had allotted for our budgets. The caca is going to be hitting the rotating blades with China from now on out. Don't ask me why as that would entail a political discussion and we can't have that now can we? Actually I'm surprised bikes are still getting across the Pacific now.

I just hope Taiwan can keep functioning, because that's where our bikes come from

Nobody knows. Its equivalent to trying to time the stockmarket...

Uh, yup. Sharp rock gardens, bloody ankle and cactus pricks pulled. And never could find the loop trail, got lost in the woods and my phone died. o_O
My skills sre surely improving however. Especially walk mode LOL.
Payson AZ this week, going out to Show Low tomorrow.
Lots of the famous Mogollon Rim. Way scenic.
That's the ticket! ;)

Show Low is mountain bike heaven - hundreds and hundreds of miles of singletrack, flowing pine tree forest trails.
Took the bikes but spend the day catching up with an old aquaintance and his wife, and never got out on the bikes. Hauled them 190 miles for naught. :(
Oh well...another old dirtbiker convert to eMTB. :cool: We'll be going back early next year... the closest I've seen to heaven on earth. 👍

Evidently, years ago the area hosted the largest mtb event in the country, some 2500 riders. [shrug]

Last edited:
Evidently, years ago the area hosted the largest mtb event in the country, some 2500 riders. [shrug]

Does the US have an interschools mtb championship?

Last year, the Australian version had 660 kids riding - for perspective our population is 25 m ( vs 390 m in the us) - so I guess that's be 10,000 kids to have the same attendance rate?

It was my daughters first race, she placed 12 th in her class but was 2+ years younger than most of the girls who beat her. She was super keen to return this year, but covid closed the borders .

Not that I’m aware of. But probably not one to ask, still pretty new at it all, and not connected to the sport in any way other than for self entertainment.

Show Low is mountain bike heaven - hundreds and hundreds of singletrack, flowing pine tree forest trails.
Took the bikes but spend the day catching up with an old aquaintance and his wife, and never got out on the bikes. Hauled them 190 miles for naught. :(
Oh well...another old dirtbiker convert to eMTB. :cool: We'll be going back early next year... the closest I've seen to heaven on earth. 👍

Love that area. Spent 2 summers fishing and bartending at Charlie Clarks in Pinetop in the mid 80s.

Does the US have an interschools mtb championship?

Last year, the Australian version had 660 kids riding - for perspective our population is 25 m ( vs 390 m in the us) - so I guess that's be 10,000 kids to have the same attendance rate?

It was my daughters first race, she placed 12 th in her class but was 2+ years younger than most of the girls who beat her. She was super keen to return this year, but covid closed the borders .
https://washingtonleague.org/ Washington State has a league for youth. Mountain biking is very popular in our state. There is a team at our local schools. With the schools mostly closed, I still see the kids in groups riding the trails. Most are on full suspension bikes of name brands. I donated my last mtb to the school program.

Back