eMTB Options For 2024

Where did the 'acoustic' thing come from? Bicycles are not musical instruments, nor are they related to sound. [shrug] Perhaps it's in relation to an 'acoustic guitar' verses an electric one.

2. not having electrical amplification.
"a sad, gentle acoustic ballad"

I thought it was from the wheezing , but thanks for enlightening me - something to do with un amplified ( small?) sad lad balls ? I guess that makes sense - grind the prostate into seats for long enough....

And how do you like the bike otherwise? Anything you'd wish was different? Specific things that are really great?
What kind of riding do you do? Trailrider? Are you a down-hill racer? Massive jumps?? 🙂
The bike is a great performer. It is my 1st eMTB ever owned, so I do not have much experience for comparison to others in its class.

I wish the reach geometry was a bit less, so I would not need an adjustable stem or headset spacers to adjust handlebar height. I did not have this issue with other eMTBs I had tested. Again all about the geometry.

Specific things that are great is the overall build quality, the Yamaha's zippy motor torque, the 2.8 plus size tires that have minimal rolling resistance considering their ability to grab the terrain, my improved/developed riding skills due to the bike's design by Haibike.

Types of riding: I do mostly rails to trails which consist of low slopes and no mountain riding due to the landscape in my region. No downhill racing or massive jumps, just man made type jumping on easy to ride groomed trails. I believe I am not even coming close to pushing the bike to its limits for its intended use by no means. It is just fun to ride and puts a bigger smile on my face than the other e-bike commuters I ride. Thanks for asking!

Ha ha… yep. ;)

I am quite confident that I would be happy with the All Mountain - I think it would do everything I want. And it has the PW-X, you really can't miss. Hell, it even has a yari fork.
I have seen that rebuild guy for bearings mentioned before - a great resource.

When we raced dirtbikes those old 2-stroke motors needed a rebuild about every 50 hours, and that was pushing it. The only thing I never learned was disassembling gearboxes. I left that to a guy that knew what he was doing. But everything was top to bottom, rebuilt them from scratch.

All of these bikes have more or less off the shelf components, or can be replaced with such. The proprietary things are all you really have to depend on from the bike manufacturer. Giant is known for making a lot of their own hardware, at least with their brand on them.

I learned to wrench on bikes from the time I was a bout 8. LOL My best friend's dad was the Schwinn dealer in Seattle on Aurora Avenue, by Greenlake, and we would go to work with him Saturdays. We learned how to assemble bikes out of the box, tune the 10 speeds, and tape wrap the bars. Remember the 'orange krate'?? They were selling those new in the shop.

After lunch we would rummage through the parts bins and build bikes out of scratch. Our latest and greatest was a 20" bike with a 24 or 26" fork, like a dirtbike, and we would ride them through the woods on trails and over jumps. Mountain bikes came along some years after. That was mid 1960's and into the 70's. Hmmm...seems we invented the dual sport too - a street licensed dirtbike, before they had even thought of the word.

Why I like ebikes so much - they're revolutionary! 😁
Ha Ha! 'orange krate'-pea picker, apple crate, etc. Use to do paper deliveries on those bad boys back in the day! Cheesh, gettin old!
"Why I like ebikes so much - they're revolutionary"!- I concur at 100%! :D

This.
I'm friends with Michael Lonstar, a C&W singer/songwriter. When he learned about my electric bikes, he jokingly stated he preferred acoustic bikes. He was making the (obvious) analogy with the electric vs acoustic guitar (and he rides no bike). If a person so remote to cycling makes up such an analogy, no wonder the term "acoustic bike" became so contagious 😀

I've heard about that. He played Fender Telecaster.
Fender Telecaster-One of my favorite semi-hollow body electric guitars.

I swear, you could be my brother. LOL
When do we ride down there??? 😊 Australia is like the wild wild west in the US. Have always wanted to see it.

Every two-wheeled contraption I buy needs a bar riser - dozens of bikes. Motorcycles, anyway - they all got a bar riser. Remember, I'm about as limber as a 2x4. Some eight back and neck injuries, I can't bend over to tie my shoes, but I can put a foot up on a chair. I only wear redwing boots - got five pairs of them. LOL It's a wonder I can ride at all.

There are so many good shops around here, but I have my favorites. I'm going to hit a few more and see what eclectic things there are out there, and pick a dealer. The Norco bikes are intriguing - I've run across them before. Another old riding buddy that had a husky mentioned them for a pedalic when we bought new bikes three years ago, and Santa Cruz - another local custom bike builder - brand new ebike out. I just found out about a couple more - Pivot and Intrigue, I think. More research. I might even find a 27.5 Norco out there as a leftover. People don't know what this stuff is.

The people I bought my Giant from bought that store thirty years ago, but the original store has been there since the fifties. It's like a classic good place. I've met the owner now too, these are red blooded American family salt of the earth people that just want to make sure you're happy.

The old timers in the biz have a cult-like following. I mentioned that with YT too, the groupies and fanboys hang around cuz they just love the place. It's like walking into a ethnic restaurant and all the patrons are of the same ethnicity - you know it will be good. 👍
Browneye- You are making this thread very exciting for all of us, and I believe we are waiting patiently to see which make/model you ultimately choose. Are you even close to making a decision as to which one to buy, or do you have loads more research on the horizon? Just curious. Thanks in advance for all your hard work and contributions to the forum!

Not familiar with this brand. Are they generally available here in the USA and/or sold locally at LBShops?
UK based with US specific web site to purchase. I know very little about them myself never seeing one but know they have a following. I mentioned them because they are using Bosch 4th gen motor.

@Browneye know much about Commencal Bikes? I knew nothing till today, but I see they are Colorado based and have some well priced bikes based on specs. I also see on their web site that they have demos/lender bikes at a decent mark down.

This is their 2020 Meta Power 29. The Essential model is $5499

1582337331444.png

And then the Meta Power 27

1582337600440.png

Not familiar with this brand. Are they generally available here in the USA and/or sold locally at LBShops?

Whyte - never heard of them either. Nice looking eMTB for sure.

Browneye- You are making this thread very exciting for all of us, and I believe we are waiting patiently to see which make/model you ultimately choose. Are you even close to making a decision as to which one to buy, or do you have loads more research on the horizon? Just curious. Thanks in advance for all your hard work and contributions to the forum!

Aww, you're too kind. 😊
We are having a lot of fun over here, looking at and analyzing all the cool bikes out there. Oh man, they're a bunch of cash!

On Commencal - the reviewers, and surely Rob the UK vid guy, loves them. I did look them up briefly. But really, for that kind of money there are plenty of local options, and then I've got someone local to back up any failures. Very cool bikes.

Tonight on the way home from work I went to another local shop where I looked at bikes when we bought new ones three years ago. I couldn't remember if we got wife's Roll there, or at the other shop. Anyway, she blew up her conversion so while we're waiting for parts I'm seriously consider buying her another bike.

So yeah, they're a Specialized and Norco dealer, Pivot as well. I eye-balled the Turbo Como, it's a electrified version of her Roll, for three grand. Ouch. Very nice bike though, would be perfect for her.

Since I was there anyway, how could I resist delving into Turbo Levo? I got to try out the new SL in alloy, and a Carbon-frame Levo Comp. Oh dear, I did not realize the SL was so special - a brand new proprietary motor, 39lb full suspension mountain bike.

Both of these bikes are pretty amazing. The SL just didn't have enough assist for me. It integrates seamlessly, and is super nice, but I liked the regular Comp better. Turns out for 2020 it comes with the 700w battery pack, so it's a really nice package over their base Levo model. Basically, for a grand, the cost of the upgraded battery, you get better suspension, brakes, shifter, a whole host of stuff.

The Turbo Levo Comp is an amazing bike. It is SO comfortable, works SO well. The power is way more than anything else I've tried - much like the Bulls with MAG S I tried, but even more refined. They really build a nice bike. A 2019 is virtually the same bike, but with 500w battery, for $5300. The new 2020 with 700w pack is right at $6000. WOW! It really is their best deal all around though.

I have now determined that a size large is what I want. I have really long arms, so the extra room over a medium size bike is just perfect.

I really don't have ten grand to drop on a couple of bicycles, but these are some of the nicest bikes I've seen so far.

Hitting a few more shops tomorrow - there's a really nice shop in Newport Beach, they had a Lynx on the floor the last time I was down there, and they have Specialized too - so we'll see what else is out there. There's a very nice Trek dealer close where I bought 3 new bikes about 14 years ago. Maybe they'll have a new Rail I can try.

I'm gathering information and learning what's available. When I've shopped myself to death and out of options, I just might be ready to choose one. This is just too much fun!

Any shimano dealer can service shimano, but that doesn't mean they WILL - so perhaps have a chat to whichever lbs you intend to use and see what sort of reception you get .

I'm still waiting to test a levo sl , but don't be fooled by carpark perceptions of a bike. I remember riding a shimano powered focus jam back to back with my giant epro - whilst the giant definitely had more torque the jam was actually quicker through the bush - as you'd expect for a bike 3 kg lighter! Then a merida e160 , same shimano motor but same weight as the giant - significantly slower than the giant.

PS have a good browse over on the uk site before buying a brose specialized. It's hard to know how much of the complaints are due to market share / customer expectation etc, but I'm going to wait a few months and see how the sl stacks up for reliability ( and probably keep the giant as well)

I eye-balled the Turbo Como, it's a electrified version of her Roll, for three grand. Ouch. Very nice bike though, would be perfect for her.
Is that the 28 mph version? If yes, your wife will easily outrun you, Chris! 🤣 When my gf comes here in the Spring, I intend to let her ride my Vado. Under a single condition: "Never go into the Sport mode before I say so! Because I don't want to race with you!"

Is that the 28 mph version? If yes, your wife will easily outrun you, Chris! 🤣 When my gf comes here in the Spring, I intend to let her ride my Vado. Under a single condition: "Never go into the Sport mode before I say so! Because I don't want to race with you!"

This has the smaller 9sp cassette, the up model has a 12sp mountain bike cassette. 650b wheels with 2.3 tires, just like her Roll. Standard class1 bike, so 20mph on assist.

The assist integration with the frame is excellent, 460w pack.

Best_deals_on_Specialized_Turbo_Como_3.0_650B_Low_Entry_2048x.jpg

Shopping Commencal again...

I'm not sure the difference between this one and the light gray one above, this one is $500 more, so $4500, same price as a YT Decoy. Twenty-niners…

Is Rockshox suspension more than Fox? They call this model 'race' and the one above 'essential'. Everybody wants they're component spec, don't they?
They have their 'Signature' models left, they are $5999 with 500w pack and fancy fox shocks. Same as a new turbo Levo with 700w pack.

These bikes are Loam-Wolf top pick - just a lot of high spec for the same money as others. Geometry highly rated for all mountain riding.

BTW, you can get their 27.5 bikes for the same price - take yer pick.

I don't know how to do a side by side comparison on this to a Haibike All Mountain 2.0. In plain words, what's the primary benefit of differences?

We now have a range of prices from $2500 to over $6000 USD, for very similar type bikes, albeit all levels of spec.

Last edited:
Shopping Commencal again...

I'm not sure the difference between this one and the light gray one above, this one is $500 more, so $4500, same price as a YT Decoy. Twenty-niners…

Is Rockshox suspension more than Fox? They call this model 'race' and the one above 'essential'. Everybody wants they're component spec, don't they?
They have their 'Signature' models left, they are $5999 with 500w pack and fancy fox shocks. Same as a new turbo Levo with 700w pack.

Do I dare say I wish I would have even known about this brand when I was researching last Fall. I really really like everything about the Meta 27. I don't think it would have made difference considering what I got for what I spent and for what my real needs were vs wants, but still.....

As for the difference between the two models your looking at @Browneye it just looks like components like you mentioned. Fork and suspension and such. I see the tire sizing is also different. Both of those are priced really well. No skimping on the components on these bikes, that's for sure.

Do I dare say I wish I would have even known about this brand when I was researching last Fall. I really really like everything about the Meta 27. I don't think it would have made difference considering what I got for what I spent and for what my real needs were vs wants, but still.....

As for the difference between the two models your looking at @Browneye it just looks like components like you mentioned. Fork and suspension and such. I see the tire sizing is also different. Both of those are priced really well. No skimping on the components on these bikes, that's for sure.

Have you ridden both wheel sizes on a trail? I have not, but everything I've read and opinions of everyone I've talked to, like the 29 wheels for all mountain. From my experience on cross bikes, I've always liked the larger wheels for easier rolling resistance. They claim they're smoother on a trail.

I read elsewhere that 27.5 wheels are stronger, and preferred by hardcore riders and jumpers. A usage consideration. YT solves this by giving you both. LOL

Have you ridden both wheel sizes on a trail? I have not, but everything I've read and opinions of everyone I've talked to, like the 29 wheels for all mountain. From my experience on cross bikes, I've always liked the larger wheels for easier rolling resistance. They claim they're smoother on a trail.

I read elsewhere that 27.5 wheels are stronger, and preferred by hardcore riders and jumpers. A usage consideration. YT solves this by giving you both. LOL
I have not ridden 29's on an eMTB. 27.5+ are higher volume and tend to have more responsive handling which is more conducive to the wooded tight rolling hills trails near me. I live in the Great Lakes basin btw. Besides that , 27.5+ were the trend last couple years, now it's 29 or combo.

As technology progresses it becomes highly likely that all bikes will have assist, and it will be innocuous. Then 'acoustic', or regular pedal bikes, will be the minority.
Some riders have come to the conclusion that ALL of the haters will have to eat their words if they wish to continue riding their mountain bikes into retirement age. Many have already 'flipped', while others are simply just hold-outs. Where did the 'acoustic' thing come from? Bicycles are not musical instruments, nor are they related to sound. [shrug] Perhaps it's in relation to an 'acoustic guitar' verses an electric one.

a·cous·tic /əˈko͞ostik/
adjective: acoustic
1. relating to sound or the sense of hearing.
"dogs have a much greater acoustic range than humans"
(of building materials) used for soundproofing or modifying sound.
"acoustic tiles"
(of an explosive mine or other weapon) able to be set off by sound waves.
2. (of popular music or musical instruments) not having electrical amplification.
"a sad, gentle acoustic ballad"
noun: acoustic; plural noun: acoustics; noun: acoustics
1. the properties or qualities of a room or building that determine how sound is transmitted in it.
"Symphony Hall has perfect acoustics"
2. the branch of physics concerned with the properties of sound.

Yea, I never really understood using the term Acoustic... perhaps we should just say old school, Analog Mechanical. :)
What is the opposite of Electric... Need antonyms for Electric?

Last edited:
I have not ridden 29's on an eMTB. 27.5+ are higher volume and tend to have more responsive handling which is more conducive to the wooded tight rolling hills...
>snip

I have seen this elsewhere. Quicker handling for tighter trails, wider tires.
It's only a hunch, but I think I will gravitate to more open trails and general riding where the 29 would benefit me. Won't know 'till I actually get out there and spend some time though.

Back