eMTB Options For 2024

Yes, they're trance take-offs. The 2.4 width tires fit perfectly on them.
They actually came off a 2020 LIV Intrigue. The guy bought $5K bike for his wife, then proceeded to spend another five grand on bling parts. It was a pretty bike, but gee, talk about throwing money away. LOL
Anyway, the wheel sets sat around for a few months so I said, "Make me a deal." So they did. LOL

They came with rotors too. I had to add tires and tubes, speedo magnet, and a cassette.

I would probly get more use out of them with a larger primary chain ring, and the speed-limiter unlocked. 😁

All what I can read here makes me think my Trance doesn't want to be anything than a mountain bike :D Well, let us see whether the Rekon wiil be at least somewhat quieter than the serious off-road tyres delivered with the bike...

They are not tubeless. That version of Trance E+ is tubeless and I wouldn't change that without a good reason.

Look good. What about the noise on asphalt?

P.S. One of the issues is the Wide Trail (WT) rim in my wheels. Not all tyres are good for that as PDoz has explained.

I changed size to 2.6 vs 2.8 original. If you put over 20 psi they are reasonably quiet? I run air pressures of 25 to 10 psi depending on the riding surface. Since the nobbies didn't bother me I don't know if I can give good information on noise. I thought for the price I would try them, so far so good. They are easy to mount.

All what I can read here makes me think my Trance doesn't want to be anything than a mountain bike :D Well, let us see whether the Rekon wiil be at least somewhat quieter than the serious off-road tyres delivered with the bike...

You'll probably leave the recons on permanently - they suit the type of riding it sounds like you do. Better rolling than the dh , less noise and also a smoother feel. They sacrifice some centre dirt riding grip for this but still retain reasonable side grip so cornering in dirt isn't scary. Good enough , not spectacular but not bad enough to swap / replace.

It's one of those compromise things . I resent compromise, so it disturbs me when it works. Sorry.

I like riding off-road, @PDoz, I only don't ride single-track. The stock tyres proved themselves excellent in many situations (mud, sand...). I only cannot stand them on-road. When I'm about to ride alone, I carry my e-MTB to the trail with a car like you do. However, riding together with a Vado rider means no off-road (except nice fire-roads maybe -- we are going to a quite wild area soon with our bikes together). So I don't wanna chase Brix on DH tyres :) Honestly, I would be most happy with some slick tyres but you know yourself finding these for Trance is difficult, if not impossible.

Last edited:
Schwalbe makes some nice tires that are a good compromise between the extremes of full Road (Super Moto-x) and Mountain tires (Nobby Nic).

Take a look at the Marathon Plus MTB and the new Hurricane ... both have a central rib for smooth on-road riding with outer lugs for offroad traction.

1597426193647.png

Last edited:
I'd like to try the Hurricanes but would really like tubeless.

Have you considered scrapping tubeless and using tannus armour?
Swapping between tyres with a tubeless set up is a pita - messy plus each time you risk nicking the rim tape.

Tannus takes a bit of getting used to for tyre changes ( which is code for don't blame me if you throw a tyre lever across the workshop and kill someone) . Once you have mastered the technique and can perform miracles, you have a highly puncture resistant set up that you can still ride home carefully with a flat. No need to restrict yourself to tubeless tyres. No messy sealant that needs replacing. What can possibly go wrong? ( code for don't blame me when you get a flat 30 km from home on cold rainy day and can't swap tubes with the wimpy pkastic levers on the bike)

For what it's worth, I made sure I could replace a tube by hand with my dhr's and Tannus but it's not easy!

They also have a dead feeling - almost like running too much rebound dampening and lower tyre pressure. I'm starting to like this feeling and the extra grip , but not everyone likes it

Schwalbe makes some nice tires that are a good compromise between the extremes of full Road (Super Moto-x) and Mountain tires (Nobby Nic).

Take a look at the Marathon Plus MTB and the new Hurricane ... both have a central rib for smooth on-road riding with outer lugs for offroad traction.

The tyres you've mentioned are tubed, might not be good for the Wide Trail rim, and look noisy to me... :)

The tyres you've mentioned are tubed, might not be good for the Wide Trail rim, and look noisy to me... :)

Give the Hurricane a try... I have heard very good things about this setup. ;)

If you want more aggressive tread for off-road trails ... go with the Plus MTB.

Give the Hurricane a try... I have heard very good things about this setup. ;)

If you want more aggressive tread for off-road trails ... go with the Plus MTB.
Hey, FlatSix: I already own super-aggressive off-road tyres :D The point is to go on-road for awhile! I'm giving the Rekons a chance. At least these meet most of my criteria and perhaps would be a little bit quieter than the existing Downhill tyres... Besides, I have been riding without any sealant (when I hear how often people get a flat in North America -- or in Australia, I shudder) so at least the tyre replacement won't be messy.

I had no luck, however, with my order. If I got @PDoz advice morning my time, the online store would have just replaced my order but I called them after 2 p.m. my time: The Ikons had already been with a courier. Therefore, when the shipments reaches the parcel locker today, I must not open the locker; the uncollected shipment will be returned to the sender, and I will get money returned. Meanwhile, the Rekons are being sent today, to be only collected on Monday...

@PDoz - what do you know about these ORBEA OCCAM...

This is the cheaper alloy model:

14132-ORBEA-Occam-H20-2.JPG

Send me your address and I'll see if I can send you my Rekon - will never use it. :)
Things were easy pre-covid. If not the "pest", we could be sending each other many items that are good but we personally dislike them :)

I can certify that the Marathon Plus MTBs are not noisy, but I guess its subjective :rolleyes: . I run them on two bikes (Juiced CCX and iZIp Moda IE). They are my 'compromise tire' which is about 70% offroad&gravel/30% pavement. I run them with tubes/stans, no idea on how they run tubeless. Perhaps you should run sealant in your tubes instead off being stuck on tubeless only. Life is full of compromises :)

I also run Nobby Nics (27.5x2.8) on an ebike and Maxxis DHF (29x2.4) on an acoustic bike.

Basically, here are my setup(s)
Juiced CCX ebike (Marathon Plus MTB 2.25F/2.1R) - Tires are bigger than recommended for the rims for tubeless, no problems running tubes/stans. I ran continental racekings prior to this and much preferred their offroad traction but the rear tire didnt last long and the front tire was iffy on psi with all the goatheads I encounter on rides (almost had a major crash). I did run 2.1 F for awhile but always felt on the limit of front wheel traction.
iZip Moda E3ebike - The stock supermoto-x 27.5x2.4 tires were awesome on tarmac, sucked on gravel. Been running Marathon Plus MTB 27.5x2.25F/R forever.
Bulls Evo 3 27.5+ ebike - 27.5x2.8 nobby nics are such an AMAZING tire, traction everywhere and Im reaching 5k miles on the original tires(rotated once). They are noisy onroad but who cares (other than roadies I pass)
Santa Cruz Tallboy acoustic - 29x2.4 DHF, the 'perfect' offroad tire. Sucks on pavement. A true "Hero Tire'...Perfection.

Note: Looking for better front wheel traction on the CCX and Moda now that the super fine gravel here around denver is almost talcum powder like. DHF loves this stuff but I would hate to run DHF on pavement. I have been considering Rekons and Minion SS.

Last edited:
Bulls Evo 3 27.5+ ebike - 27.5x2.8 nobby nics are such an AMAZING tire, traction everywhere and Im reaching 5k miles on the original tires(rotated once). They are noisy onroad but who cares (other than roadies I pass)
I do care :) Maxxis Minion DHF and High Roller II are excellent tyres but I cannot hear my own thoughts when on-road :) And tyres noisier than a Yamaha motor really means something! :D
Find me slick, tubeless tyres for WT rim, OK? :)

Yes, I know I'm being nasty :)

The noise is the price for riding an e-MTB. Tyres, the motor. If anyone says their knobby tyres aren't noisy (or, that the Yamaha PW-X2 motor is rather quiet), that video may open someone's eyes :D

Back