eMTB Options For 2024

@PDoz, could you explain the confusion please:

XC -> Trail -> Enduro -> Downhill order is clear. Where is All Mountain there?

NB, so far, I could see a single DH e-bike in the market, the Haibike. Are more of them?

@PDoz, could you explain the confusion please:

XC -> Trail -> Enduro -> Downhill order is clear. Where is All Mountain there?

NB, so far, I could see a single DH e-bike in the market, the Haibike. Are more of them?

For normal bikes, all mountain is between enduro and down hill -ie a slightly more down hill enduro bike.

I find it interesting that haibike seem to consider the all mountain more hard core in ebikes , and I guess it makes sense if you think of it as a hard core uphill bike.

Nb All these sub groups get a bit confusing to me , for example my daughters scott genius 940 can flick a switch and either be a 150 mm 29 er enduro bike, or a 90/150 mm 29 er trail bike. But then you flip the chip and slip in some 27.5 wheels , it's a raked out 150 mm and my head hurts

I would use a proper chain for given cassette: the M8100 with the Trance E+, and SLX (7000) for the Vado cassette... If the chains were designed each for specific cassette, I feel no need to experiment with that. Especially, as clearances in both cassettes are different. The wear is just another thing.

Friends,

Tell me if I'm stupid. My current needs are to replace the knobby 2.6" Maxxis tyres with something appropriate for road (I will need to ride my Trance E+ on road and some fire-roads for a month). The second wheel-set would be too expensive. It was hard for me to find tubeless and less knobby tyres that would fit the 35 mm wide rim. I chose Maxxis Icon (2.2") as these seem to fit the bill.

A stupid choice? I can always cancel the order.

Why did you choose the icon instead of a recon?

The icon rolls about the same as a recon but the smaller knobs move around a bit and aren't as confidence inspiring. It relies on having a V shape to minimise contact / roll well and you will lose that bu fitting a 2.2 on a 30 mm rim . Nb I've only used an icon once

Friends,

Tell me if I'm stupid. My current needs are to replace the knobby 2.6" Maxxis tyres with something appropriate for road (I will need to ride my Trance E+ on road and some fire-roads for a month). The second wheel-set would be too expensive. It was hard for me to find tubeless and less knobby tyres that would fit the 35 mm wide rim. I chose Maxxis Icon (2.2") as these seem to fit the bill.

A stupid choice? I can always cancel the order.

You have to ask yourself, Stefan, if the expense is worth it for 30 days of riding on slightly less knobbier tires. If there is some question in your mind about losing overall battery efficiency running a knobby mtb tire on the street (there will be some efficiency lose but it really will be minimal).

With my Full FatSix, I can tell you I have more road and asphalt trail miles then actual miles in the dirt just due to the proximity of those off road trails from my home and the need to transport my Haibike to those areas 30-75 miles from home.

As someone who has worn out a good many Jumbo Jims that come with a premium price, I believe a months worth of riding is going to cause just minimal wear on the treads of those 2.6 inch tires. You'll save some money and avoid the hassle of taking off and putting back on, tires.

It is not about the tyre wear, Mike. It is about the tyre noise and high rolling resistance of the Maxxis Minion DHF & High Roller II.

Why did you choose the icon instead of a recon?

The icon rolls about the same as a recon but the smaller knobs move around a bit and aren't as confidence inspiring. It relies on having a V shape to minimise contact / roll well and you will lose that bu fitting a 2.2 on a 30 mm rim . Nb I've only used an icon once
Because I'm inexperienced... Thank you for your advice, PD!

If you put 40psi in them they'll roll pretty good. LOL

I got a set of Bondrager Hardcase for my second set - they're pretty slick. They're 2.4's, and not even sure if they're tubeless, although I would think so, coming from Trek.
But yeah, I got the wheels for $150 but still totaled up a bit over $300 to get everything dialed. And I don't really use them. 😜 Decided to keep my Explore for road and bike paths with the wife.

948825DC-26B6-4ED0-A7F8-EC983744D927.jpg

D98D859D-77B4-4721-BFA8-5C44C6A6D5BC.jpg

I know you already ordered the Recons, but did you consider the Schwalbe Hurricanes and if not, why not?
Others have sung their praises here.

I run these on my Turbo Levo. They are tubeless. I ride pavement, dirt and gravel. I keep my speed under 20 mph on the downhills, I cannot afford to crash!! The price is reasonable. I do not ride in the mud, don't want to damage the trails.

the Schwalbe Hurricanes and if not, why not?
They are not tubeless. That version of Trance E+ is tubeless and I wouldn't change that without a good reason.

I run these on my Turbo Levo. They are tubeless.
Look good. What about the noise on asphalt?

P.S. One of the issues is the Wide Trail (WT) rim in my wheels. Not all tyres are good for that as PDoz has explained.

Back