eMTB Options For 2024

I've been running a YT Decoy since end of summer last year. For background, I've been MTBing since 2004, had several FS bikes, used to race DH. The Decoy feels like an old school DH/slopestyle bike (slack and low; I guess these days they call them enduro bikes). To me, the main argument in favor/against comes down to how you like that sort of geometry. It can be a handful on climbs, and the low bottom bracket can get annoying in rocky terrain, but its all worth it when the trail turns downhill.

Range is good; YT is supposedly working on a 700whr battery that will be offered as an upgrade to existing owners, but I get 25-30 miles of hilly riding in mid support levels with the standard 540whr battery, which is actually more than I usually ride.

Definitely wouldn't worry about carbon; I've been running an Ibis Mojo HD since 2011 (which is a full carbon bike) with nary an issue, and I do... irresponsible things with that bike. The Decoy has a durable layup, its not a weight weenie frame.

Lemme know if you have any questions about it.

Attachments

• IMG_3016.JPG
    IMG_3016.JPG
    779 KB · Views: 728
Okay guys, tell me why I shouldn't buy one of these...
Lenny's has a size large for $2500. Not sure if that includes shipping or not. If not they charge $200. No tax.

And I'm still seriuosly considering the BH Rebel Lynx 5.5 they have, it's a size medium, the last one left with PW-X. It is a 2018 model however.

2019 HAIBIKE XDURO ALL MOUNTAIN 2.0

I believe walk assist is disabled in the US. Not sure if's specific to Haibike's Yamaha motors or the BH bikes as well.

What area do you live/ride? That's really interesting about the locals trading their dirtbikes for mountain bikes. But I'm hearing/seeing that more and more. 👍

You've nailed it - I really do need to try a few more. My Giant dealer has a Trance to lend out, I will likely take him up on that.

I have been skeptical about a carbon fiber frame from the get-go, not wishing to pay for one either. But I've been told they are solid and well established now by several people, so I've become more accepting. In fact, I asked my YT sales guy about it - what difference would I notice in riding a CF or a alloy frame, and his reply was that based on my intended use, age, experience, and etc. probably nothing. I'm not a competitor, and I'm not going to be flying through the air on one. LOL

I really like the Giant Trance, either iteration. I like my PW motor in my Giant, it's just excellent. I need to decide which version, the 1 or the 3, and try and make a deal. One local shop is having a spring sale and discounting nearly 20% on new 2020 models - they have both in stock, a E+1 large, and a E+3 medium. I'm leaning toward the former - it's right about five thousand out the door. Full dealer support locally makes solid sense for a mountain bike - you beat the crap out of them! LOL. My Explore has been just fantastic, so I feel like I know what I'm getting.

For just a few hundred more than the YT I can get a 2019 Turbo Levo Comp, just a bit more than the Trance E+1. I guess I need to test-ride both now.

I'm still reluctant to drop that kind of money for a bicycle. My Husky was $6500 in 2011, and it was 52hp!! ;)

Advice and comment appreciated!

I'm from Australia so not all of my thoughts apply to your situation, but don't automatically assume the lbs understands what dirt bike riders do . I guess I should also accept wgat our local dirt ruders do isn't nirmal either. Small town (6000 population) that produced several national and one international enduro champions, we're right on the edge of the great dividing ranges / victorian high country and can ride hundred of km of illegally cut hard core single line tracks most people would think twice before walking - but we're riding so that's no worries.

Anyway, if that resonates with you.....

Chances are you'll be bouncing the new toy through rock gardens , scratching and chipping the frame, then running transport sections at speed / jumping erosion ditches and covering it with sticky mud? Call me a cynic, but I doubt your lbs thinks motorbike riders do this. It's a bit like a moto cross rider trying to understand a global adv travellers needs. Go alloy frame - you can scratch / chip / bash the alloy and it'll only break at the welds. It will break, but at least you don't need to examine it with a microscope before every big ride.

The main reason to consider paying extra on a 2020 giant is the extra cadence support - if you regularly pedal in the 80 range, quick surges heading into jumps / drop offs etc tip you out of the old Yamaha torque curve. So if you have the option of a discounted 2020 , take it. Go for the higher spec trance, the suspension is worth it.

LBS support is an important factor, but so is manufacturer support. Do your research on haibike warranty . Both specialized and giant are fantastic , sadly they both build bikes that need warranty but at least it's a relatively painless process. With the trance, factor in the inconvenience of replacing wheel bearings and never being certain when the freewheel will fail - if you get a 2019 just replace the hub. Also, see if there is a 2019 sx around - best of both worlds. The longer forks give you reign like stability without the weight, the coil shock means no need to worry about blowing a bladder . I'm trying VERY hard not to buy a heavily discounted one from my lbs ( I'd have it already if giant wasn't slotting a 2020 motor into my 2018 full e pro)

Now, about the $ .....these things are a bargain!!! Change the mindset from bikes to motorbikes - you're buying an ultra light motox bike that's legal to ride in the bush, free to refuel, no registration fees, replacement parts are 1/3 the price, and in 2 years the manufacturer happily replaces the mitor that you drowned in a deep creek crossing. Five blokes in a twin cab ute with the bikes hanging over the tailgate, hit the trails for a few hours then rock up at a pub / cafe etc - no dirty looks from mr and mrs boring because bikes are socially acceptable. Better yet, mtb parks are popping up everywhere - ski fields in summer so a week of riding legal trails and sharing a chalet with your mates is dirt cheap. Life is good, motorbikes are history.

Last edited:
I'm struggling to find pictures to explain the difference between motorbike emtber vs normal. The first pic is one of our local motorbike single lines, an " intermediate" trail - loose rocks everywhere, definitely not groomed and nobody has spent hours mapping out the flow.....second pic is a dedicated mtb track , despite being a rocky feature those rocks are relatively flat slabs and I suspect have been placed to form a trail. You're going to beat the cr@p out of that bike if you ride motorbike trails, it'll be great fun

Attachments

• CAE2F00C-70E3-4BBB-917E-7E096048725B.jpeg
    CAE2F00C-70E3-4BBB-917E-7E096048725B.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 508
  • 10F4E3B5-7BC4-4C35-A2E5-F3E4E150FA47.jpeg
    10F4E3B5-7BC4-4C35-A2E5-F3E4E150FA47.jpeg
    437.9 KB · Views: 448
Okay guys, tell me why I shouldn't buy one of these...
Lenny's has a size large for $2500. Not sure if that includes shipping or not. If not they charge $200. No tax.

And I'm still seriuosly considering the BH Rebel Lynx 5.5 they have, it's a size medium, the last one left with PW-X. It is a 2018 model however.

2019 HAIBIKE XDURO ALL MOUNTAIN 2.0

THe Haibike is Way Better looking IMO : Plus you have posted this Picture enough I'm sure this is the Bike you imagine yourself With : 2600.00 is a Great price : I personally think Haibike is often underrated for what they are: Go with Your Gut

Oh, and thus is why you don't want a 2x front on an emtb ( my full e pro at 35 km! ) . Giant and the lbs came to the party, replaced with a 1x race face sprocket that's still going 2 years later

Attachments

• B20704FD-DCC7-4567-B2A3-53F459ACB9F4.jpeg
    B20704FD-DCC7-4567-B2A3-53F459ACB9F4.jpeg
    414.5 KB · Views: 450
I'm struggling to find pictures to explain the difference between motorbike emtber vs normal. The first pic is one of our local motorbike single lines, an " intermediate" trail - loose rocks everywhere, definitely not groomed and nobody has spent hours mapping out the flow.....second pic is a dedicated mtb track , despite being a rocky feature those rocks are relatively flat slabs and I suspect have been placed to form a trail. You're going to beat the cr@p out of that bike if you ride motorbike trails, it'll be great fun

I actually have noticed this. The vids show it as well - some are rocky natural trails on a side-hill, others look like they were mapped out with a computer, ideally placed jumps, and sweeping curves. 🤣
Upthread you'll see my TE630 on it's side - it was a pro at doing that - once it started to go over you were history. I pulled my shoulder lifting it up after a switchback stall and falling upside down onto the trail below. It took four years to heal up.

Oh, and thus is why you don't want a 2x front on an emtb ( my full e pro at 35 km! ) . Giant and the lbs came to the party, replaced with a 1x race face sprocket that's still going 2 years later

I noticed this as well. I had figured to convert it to a single front chain ring and do away with the shifter. Perhaps the seat-dropper lever could back over to the left where it belongs. ;)

I'm from Australia so not all of my thoughts apply to your situation, but don't automatically assume the lbs understands what dirt bike riders do . I guess I should also accept what our local dirt riders do isn't normal either. Small town (6000 population) that produced several national and one international enduro champions, we're right on the edge of the great dividing ranges / victorian high country and can ride hundred of km of illegally cut hard core single line tracks most people would think twice before walking - but we're riding so that's no worries.

Anyway, if that resonates with you.....

Chances are you'll be bouncing the new toy through rock gardens , scratching and chipping the frame, then running transport sections at speed / jumping erosion ditches and covering it with sticky mud? Call me a cynic, but I doubt your lbs thinks motorbike riders do this. It's a bit like a moto cross rider trying to understand a global adv travelers needs. Go alloy frame - you can scratch / chip / bash the alloy and it'll only break at the welds. It will break, but at least you don't need to examine it with a microscope before every big ride.

The main reason to consider paying extra on a 2020 giant is the extra cadence support - if you regularly pedal in the 80 range, quick surges heading into jumps / drop offs etc tip you out of the old Yamaha torque curve. So if you have the option of a discounted 2020 , take it. Go for the higher spec trance, the suspension is worth it.

LBS support is an important factor, but so is manufacturer support. Do your research on haibike warranty . Both specialized and giant are fantastic , sadly they both build bikes that need warranty but at least it's a relatively painless process. With the trance, factor in the inconvenience of replacing wheel bearings and never being certain when the freewheel will fail - if you get a 2019 just replace the hub. Also, see if there is a 2019 sx around - best of both worlds. The longer forks give you reign like stability without the weight, the coil shock means no need to worry about blowing a bladder . I'm trying VERY hard not to buy a heavily discounted one from my lbs ( I'd have it already if giant wasn't slotting a 2020 motor into my 2018 full e pro)

Now, about the $ .....these things are a bargain!!! Change the mindset from bikes to motorbikes - you're buying an ultra light motox bike that's legal to ride in the bush, free to refuel, no registration fees, replacement parts are 1/3 the price, and in 2 years the manufacturer happily replaces the mitor that you drowned in a deep creek crossing. Five blokes in a twin cab ute with the bikes hanging over the tailgate, hit the trails for a few hours then rock up at a pub / cafe etc - no dirty looks from mr and mrs boring because bikes are socially acceptable. Better yet, mtb parks are popping up everywhere - ski fields in summer so a week of riding legal trails and sharing a chalet with your mates is dirt cheap. Life is good, motorbikes are history.

I like how you think. You sound like my pals from advrider. LOL

One of my Giant dealers does ONLY mountain bikes - the fancy high end ones. Busy shop, a bazillion bikes and riders, lots of HARDCORE - but they had 6 eMTB's on display, two of them were Giant - Reign, Trance. Everything else had shimano steps.

Giant USA shows the 2019 SX as 'in stock' for all sizes. Evidently there weren't enough high-end buyers so they didn't sell out. Seven grand???? OUCH. 🤣
I'll bet I could get a nice discount on one though, from one of my contacts.

I get it, all high end components. But tell me more - why the SX over a 2020 Trance E+1?
Coil shock - check.
Fox 36 fork - check
SRAM Eagle - check

MY19TranceSXE+0Pro_ColorA.jpg

Sx vs regular trance - take a closer look at those forks, it's not just about the coil shock.

The longer travel forks fix the 2 main criticisms of the normal trance - it rakes them out a bit for even more stability, plus it raises the front a bit ( if you thought the decoy sat low up front....)

Whilst it's possible to extend the base model forks ( for about $100) , those kashima coated sx forks rock. Plus better brakes, better hubs. But most importantly sx and e were made for each other.

Think of a trance sexy as a lean and more efficient reign that's a bit of a sleeper - everyone else just thinks it's a trance.....

ps for a perspective on cost - rrp oz $8.4 k , selling at $6 k now. Top end riders wanted 29 er in 2019 , so giant missed the marketing and we get a bargain

If the YT would have come with 700wh battery and have it's resale value for a moderately used one at least 3k , that could be good choice.

But tech. advances so fast, i would buy this BH tank instead and have something left for maybe a Grin charger, and other nice bike parts/gear.

This BH has a 16.8 ah battery , it can be charged safely @8amps with that charger.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

It says 3.4 k but probably can be negotiated. At end of December it was 2.200$.

Personally, i am waiting for the ATOM X LYNX CARBON. I am tired of heavy ebikes. Anything under 43lb qualifies for a light emtb.

If the YT would have come with 700wh battery and have it's resale value for a moderately used one at least 3k , that could be good choice.

But tech. advances so fast, i would buy this BH tank instead and have something left for maybe a Grin charger, and other nice bike parts/gear.

This BH has a 16.8 ah battery , it can be charged safely @8amps with that charger.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

It says 3.4 k but probably can be negotiated. At end of December it was 2.200$.

Personally, i am waiting for the ATOM X LYNX CARBON. I am tired of heavy ebikes. Anything under 43lb qualifies for a light emtb.

As I mentioned before, I paid $2050 +$200 shipping beginning December, that was all inclusive. I live in NY where tax collection is mandatory, so they could have easily added the 8.75% tax rate onto that but didn't.

If I add up the price of the battery ($1400) + front fork (~$450) + tires ($100 x 2) = $2050. The Brose S motor, frame, rear suspension, wheel rims, brakes, gearing, dropper post and so on cost me ZERO essentially. 5 year warranty to boot.

I feel like I'm way ahead of the game in a big way even if per chance the Brose motor requires servicing down the road sometime. No regrets here.

Side note @Browneye . Did you see the Bulls E Core Di2 FS at Crazy L? Great price.....XL frame only though, one left. I know you said you prefer larger frame, but is 54 cm/ 21" too big?
1582054036257.png

Last edited:
>snip

LBS support is an important factor, but so is manufacturer support. Do your research on haibike warranty . Both specialized and giant are fantastic , sadly they both build bikes that need warranty but at least it's a relatively painless process.
>snip

I have been told that basically I'm an idiot and making stuff up on this.

Well, it didn't take long to find some unhappy people with their level of service:

Haibike is dead to me. 🤣
I have no time for these kinds of shenanigans. If you can't even get them to do qualified work at a normal shop-rate, you really don't have any backup support at all. You're simply on your own. Surely no one is going to ship a eMTB across the country for service or repair!

It's one thing with a $5-800 pedal bike that you have a problem with and get it fixed - there isn't really anything I couldn't remove and replace myself, so for warranty coverage I would really just be looking for frame failure coverage, or other major issues. I've never really considered a warranty on a $600 pedal bike, nor for free tuneups and all that - I don't need that so there's no concern. Worst case scenario you scrap it and start over.

Now on a several-thousand dollar ebike, you have motor and controller, switches and sensors, suspension components - if it quits working you have to be able to troubleshoot it. That may well prove more difficult than first glance simply because you don't have any extra parts to test with. You have to troubleshoot, order a part, install to test. If that's not it you go to plan B. And on and on. I have no idea how you would get a dealer to submit a failed drive motor for a warranty claim if they won't work on a bike they didn't sell. [shrug] I'v even heard customer complaints where their shock failed and their dealer instructed them to make a claim directly to the component manufacturer. Really? Yup.

I experienced this yesterday with our failed hub-drive - was a parts kit from China, and the motor has quit. I got some help here and we're pretty sure it's the controller, but I took the wheel assembly into my local ebike store as surely they have a way to test a motor, right? Uh, no, they don't - if it was one of their bikes they would drop the assembly into a known good bike of the same type and see if it works. Same for a controller - they would swap one out and try it. That is their 'testing and troubleshooting' model. I was willing to pay for work, but they weren't even interested in looking at it - it's not something they sold. So I got a referral to an independent technician that works on ebikes out of his home. Called and left a message, no reply. Maybe they'll call, maybe they won't. [shrug]
It's not so bad with a $300 hub motor, but if it was two or three thousand dollar eMTB I would be livid. And this was a highly-reputable high-volume ebike store with a sign in the window 'authorized service for Brose, Bosch, Yamaha', and they sell new hub-drive ebikes! If you didn't buy it here - POUND SAND!!!

I know if I buy a bike from a big-3 dealer they'll take care of it for me if it breaks. IMO a mountain bike gets a little harder use than a commuter or bike-path cruiser. Stuff is more likely to break. In this case, even YT as a direct seller - if I had a problem they're not that far away - I can take it to them to fix. I'm confident they support their product.

Thanks for the great advice. I would rather not have a $2500+ boat anchor. 😆 It's like an expensive crap-shoot.

I feel sorry for people that paid four-grand for them. They are lucky if resale value is 25%. Even then I'm not sure you could sell it. There's a classified ad here for a All-Mountain 2.0, never got used, they want $1500 without the battery. Well gee, the battery is like $900! Maybe if it INCLUDED the battery they could get that for it, otherwise any buyer worth his salt is simply going to buy a new one, or a better one.

The shoppers for this type of bike seem to know what they want, and they seem to want the best, regardless of cost. Like several dealers I visited didn't even stock the lower end model - just the high end carbon frame one - cuz that's what their customers want. Or that's where great profit lies - I can't be sure. Oh they'll special order a bike for you, but not to try, not without a commitment to buy it.

This has been very enlightening. 👍

+ front fork (~$450) + tires ($100 x 2) = $2050. The Brose S motor, frame, rear suspension, wheel rims, brakes, gearing, dropper post and so on cost me ZERO essentially

I had the chance to get one and didn't acted fast enough. I may act now and get it. With such a great deal &warranty i wouldn't spend an extra second thinking about buying an other brands.

The AtomX carbon is not here yet.

I have been told that basically I'm an idiot and making stuff up on this.

Well, it didn't take long to find some unhappy people with their level of service:

Haibike is dead to me. 🤣
I have no time for these kinds of shenanigans. If you can't even get them to do qualified work at a normal shop-rate, you really don't have any backup support at all. You're simply on your own. Surely no one is going to ship a eMTB across the country for service or repair!

It's one thing with a $5-800 pedal bike that you have a problem with and get it fixed - there isn't really anything I couldn't remove and replace myself, so for warranty coverage I would really just be looking for frame failure coverage, or other major issues. I've never really considered a warranty on a $600 pedal bike, nor for free tuneups and all that - I don't need that so there's no concern. Worst case scenario you scrap it and start over.

Now on a several-thousand dollar ebike, you have motor and controller, switches and sensors, suspension components - if it quits working you have to be able to troubleshoot it. That may well prove more difficult than first glance simply because you don't have any extra parts to test with. You have to troubleshoot, order a part, install to test. If that's not it you go to plan B. And on and on. I have no idea how you would get a dealer to submit a failed drive motor for a warranty claim if they won't work on a bike they didn't sell. [shrug] I'v even heard customer complaints where their shock failed and their dealer instructed them to make a claim directly to the component manufacturer. Really? Yup.

I experienced this yesterday with our failed hub-drive - was a parts kit from China, and the motor has quit. I got some help here and we're pretty sure it's the controller, but I took the wheel assembly into my local ebike store as surely they have a way to test a motor, right? Uh, no, they don't - if it was one of their bikes they would drop the assembly into a known good bike of the same type and see if it works. Same for a controller - they would swap one out and try it. That is their 'testing and troubleshooting' model. I was willing to pay for work, but they weren't even interested in looking at it - it's not something they sold. So I got a referral to an independent technician that works on ebikes out of his home. Called and left a message, no reply. Maybe they'll call, maybe they won't. [shrug]
It's not so bad with a $300 hub motor, but if it was two or three thousand dollar eMTB I would be livid. And this was a highly-reputable high-volume ebike store with a sign in the window 'authorized service for Brose, Bosch, Yamaha', and they sell new hub-drive ebikes! If you didn't buy it here - POUND SAND!!!

I know if I buy a bike from a big-3 dealer they'll take care of it for me if it breaks. IMO a mountain bike gets a little harder use than a commuter or bike-path cruiser. Stuff is more likely to break. In this case, even YT as a direct seller - if I had a problem they're not that far away - I can take it to them to fix. I'm confident they support their product.

Thanks for the great advice. I would rather not have a $2500+ boat anchor. 😆 It's like an expensive crap-shoot.

I feel sorry for people that paid four-grand for them. They are lucky if resale value is 25%. Even then I'm not sure you could sell it. There's a classified ad here for a All-Mountain 2.0, never got used, they want $1500 without the battery. Well gee, the battery is like $900! Maybe if it INCLUDED the battery they could get that for it, otherwise any buyer worth his salt is simply going to buy a new one, or a better one.

The shoppers for this type of bike seem to know what they want, and they seem to want the best, regardless of cost. Like several dealers I visited didn't even stock the lower end model - just the high end carbon frame one - cuz that's what their customers want. Or that's where great profit lies - I can't be sure. Oh they'll special order a bike for you, but not to try, not without a commitment to buy it.

This has been very enlightening. 👍
FYI-I also had an issue with my Magura MT5 brake lever (my fault when I hit something on the downhill). I have a 2018 Haibike 10.0 Sduro. I did not think of Haibike, I just contacted Magura directly in my home state of Illinois. They were quick and prompt and sent me a full lever assembly with a full bleed kit. No questions asked and said it was under warranty. No complaints. Great service!

As I mentioned before, I paid $2050 +$200 shipping beginning December, that was all inclusive. I live in NY where tax collection is mandatory, so they could have easily added the 8.75% tax rate onto that but didn't.

If I add up the price of the battery ($1400) + front fork (~$450) + tires ($100 x 2) = $2050. The Brose S motor, frame, rear suspension, wheel rims, brakes, gearing, dropper post and so on cost me ZERO essentially. 5 year warranty to boot.

I feel like I'm way ahead of the game in a big way even if per chance the Brose motor requires servicing down the road sometime. No regrets here.

Side note @Browneye . Did you see the Bulls E Core Di2 FS at Crazy L? Great price.....XL frame only though, one left. I know you said you prefer larger frame, but is 54 cm/ 21" too big?View attachment 45929
Boy if I was in the market, I would grab this Bulls Di2 in a heartbeat. Lenny's surprises me from time to time when I see bargains like this. Way ahead of the game with this purchase also!

Bulls has a great reputation. A XL frame is too big for me. 😩 But yeah, for $2900 I would jump on that as well. Wow!

The new Brose S Mag is getting rave reviews. Tops in fact. With the new gen-4 Bosch CX coming in right behind it. Shimano and Yamaha trailing them, but both rated very high as well. Seems the Brose is the powerhouse now.

For the yamaha I think the lack of extended battery capacity is holding them back. It must be easier to source the other motors because so many more manufacturers are choosing them for their bike models. Giant is the big player, Haibike does pretty well too. Who else besides yamaha themselves utilizes their drive unit? Now I see they're coming out with an updated model - PW-X2 with higher torque and greater cadence support.

It's getting to the point where I'll likely choose a shop - a place that sells and services well, and buy from them. Seems everybody makes a pretty good product these days. 👍

Last edited:
FYI-I also had an issue with my Magura MT5 brake lever (my fault when I hit something on the downhill). I have a 2018 Haibike 10.0 Sduro. I did not think of Haibike, I just contacted Magura directly in my home state of Illinois. They were quick and prompt and sent me a full lever assembly with a full bleed kit. No questions asked and said it was under warranty. No complaints. Great service!

And how do you like the bike otherwise? Anything you'd wish was different? Specific things that are really great?
What kind of riding do you do? Trailrider? Are you a down-hill racer? Massive jumps?? 🙂

Back