eMTB Options For 2024

This. I may buy it today.

Levo SL. My legs provide 84 W. I'm to weak for the SL.

I was offered a reign at a VERY good price pre covid, I turned down the offer because it was too much bike for me. Whilst I would have been faster, it wouldn't be as much fun.

The easiest way to explain this is using my daughters . I can ride either and am significantly faster on sprogette 1's modern scott genius 940. Scary fast. It's an amazing bike. But sprogette 2's old giant trance with 26 inch wheels, steep ( twitchy) geometry and about 3 kg lighter is a breath of fresh air. MUCH more fun. So if I'm wanting to smile over moderate terrain, I'll take that trance any day. If I want to keep up with better riders through rough tracks that I wouldn't tackle on my full e ....that genius is the smart choice. Sprogette 2 was offered my 2017 norco optic - she prefers the old trance. The optic is a sweet spot between the two, similar geometry to a modern e trance. It's the type of bike I bought with my head...but I still prefer that agile little giant.

Think very carefully before buying a reign. They're definitely sexy , but unless you plan to tackle hard cire down hills they aren't going yo be as much fun.

Funny...I thought the same thing on the Reign. Just too much bike. long travel, long frame, long WB, raked out ergos. Going that fast downhill is a little scary cuz you can't stop.

I couldn't be more happy with my TranceE. It's a great trail bike. 👍

I'm ready for some new trails.

@Anna - yeah, the drag of the tires, suspension, ergos, everything makes a eMTB more of a chore on road. They really shine in gnarly offroad, climbing, downhill, singletrack. A hardtail is a good option, compromise. Pump the tires some for road, firm up the compression damping on the fork.

@PDoz, @Browneye, @BillH so your clear message is: "If you plan riding for pleasure Stefan, go for the Trance", right? It is good to have friends who help with practical advice!

My actual needs will be as follows: Riding fire-roads and easy single track; conquering hills on gravel roads and meadows; a lot of leisure riding in cities. There will be some riding on sandy roads though. I'd really like to have a bike that gets me through a thin layer of sand without issues. Will Trance let me do that?

I was perhaps naieve to think that if I buy the "Land Rover" (the Reign) I would have the best e-bike. You've enlightened me that was not the fact. Thank you!

P.S. Ordering the E.Trance E+ 2 Pro now. Unlike Chris' Trance it is the 2020 model. The price is US$4290.

Last edited:
@PDoz, @Browneye, @BillH so your clear message is: "If you plan riding for pleasure Stefan, go for the Trance", right? It is good to have friends who help with practical advice!

My actual needs will be as follows: Riding fire-roads and easy single track; conquering hills on gravel roads and meadows; a lot of leisure riding in cities. There will be some riding on sandy roads though. I'd really like to have a bike that gets me through a thin layer of sand without issues. Will Trance let me do that?

I was perhaps naieve to think that if I buy the "Land Rover" (the Reign) I would have the best e-bike. You've enlightened me that was not the fact. Thank you!

NO , my advice is consider the stance if you have the self control / self esteem , but accept that your ego / desire will drive you towards a trance and buy whatever one you like the colour

I don't like the looks and the colour of the Stance :D
Bear in mind, my dream of Turbo Levo has ended up (and for good). I could not buy any inferior e-bike ;) Besides, Chris has convinced me Giant e-bikes are good and I'm excited about the "yammer" motor.

Your listed needs was why I mentioned the Bulls Adventure Evo TR45 in an earlier post. That style bike has the suspension needs you're looking for, the range you want, a more relaxed upright riding position for longer rides and just as important, quality components. Pricey at $6500 euro/ $7000 US.

Bear in mind, my dream of Turbo Levo has ended up (and for good). I could not buy any inferior e-bike ;) Besides, Chris has convinced me Giant e-bikes are good and I'm excited about the "yammer" motor.

Yeah, but I convinced him:cool:

Just ordered the E.Trance and paid a small deposit 😊 Hopefully I could get the bike on Thursday since the Giant warehouse has already released it based on the word of the dealer. The store is located in the huge south Warsaw quarter, just by the subway station.

Did you know the Polish word for "bike" is "rower"? That's because the first bicycles that appeared in the Poland's area in 1890s were from Rover :D

IMG_20200512_140602-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Your listed needs was why I mentioned the Bulls Adventure Evo TR45 in an earlier post. That style bike has the suspension needs you're looking for, the range you want, a more relaxed upright riding position for longer rides and just as important, quality components. Pricey at $6500 euro/ $7000 US.
Bill, the Bulls dealer is far away from me. Besides, the word "bull" has not the best connotation in Polish 🐂😊

Stance 29 😁
Yes, for what I wanted PDoz said Trance.

No tranceE2 for US this year. We get the +1 or the +3 for 2020.

Giant is virtually sold out of bikes for the year, says my LBS. Their sales volume has been five times greater since the pandemic started. They don't know what they're going to do - no bikes left and can't get them.

I tried selling my pedal bike late last year and earlier this year for several months, kept dropping the price, no calls. Put it back on Craig's yesterday with the price back up and it sold in an hour!

Put it back on Craig's yesterday with the price back up and it sold in an hour!
Banshee, my Cracow friend I hopefully can ride with on Saturday, sold her city bike on the OLX service (Polish Craiglist) in an hour, too. She bought a nice cross-country bike on the very same day.

2020 E+2 Pro appears to be unchanged. Seems the drive system got a minor update with the 6-sensor technology and auto mode. Pdoz says they're a little quieter.
Mine might be a noisy one - so far it's the loudest of any of the yamaha's I've had the chance to hear. It has a buzz to it when it's really working.

Nice color scheme...

MY20TranceE+2Pro_ColorA.jpg

2019 E+2 Pro

MY19TranceE+2Pro_ColorA.jpg

Bear in mind, my dream of Turbo Levo has ended up (and for good). I could not buy any inferior e-bike ;)
Besides, Chris has convinced me Giant e-bikes are good and I'm excited about the "yammer" motor.

Stefan, you will not be disappointed with the Yamaha motor... one of the best systems custom tuned by Giant.

Welcome to the world of off-road adventures.

It has a buzz to it when it's really working.
I accept the motor noise on an e-MTB. All of them are noisy, even the Brose used in Levos. (I love the motor silence on my trips with Vado though).

Last edited:
I accept the motor noise on an e-MTB. All of them are noisy, even the Brose used in Levos. (I love the motor silence on my trips with Vado though).

My Explore is virtually silent as well. In fact, wife's amiti is quieter yet.
I toy with the ideal of selling off the Explore. I'm sourcing a second wheelset for the Trance so road tires could be easily swapped out, or for spares. I could probably get by with just the Trance. But every time I ride the Explore it reveals how great it is on the road.

That Vado SL looks awesome for road riding.

I don't know how the magnets are mounted on the Trance's wheel. Vado has them on the brake rotor.

For 2019 and prior the speed sensor magnet attaches to a rear spoke. I thought for 2020 they were going to a hub style sensor. Which also makes modifying the limiter more difficult. I think there is more data stored in the controller that senses any mods or their resulting speed changes as well.

Last edited:
Back