eMTB Options For 2024

Friends,

The matters are taking good progress. I was contacted by a respected LBS in Białystok, and the salesman there is really good. He's got my body parameters, and questions (I had many) and he will come up with an offer. They prepare the bike to be ready to ride and pack it in a large box, then send by courier. I need his answers on post sales service etc.

That would probably be Turbo Levo 2020, colour unknown yet. I think he can sell the larger battery to me later. I have also asked for an offer for the TCD display.

Custom Levo SL build with lots of pics. Not sure I really get it, but this fellow is surely proud.

92de99ce-f8a6-4f6f-9190-fecabee5ead9-jpeg.30939

Bad news
No Levo and no Levo Comp size M available in Poland at the moment. I've got an excellent offer on Levo SL. My legs are too weak for that marvel though...

What's your height?
Did they give you an estimated delivery time?
I would press for a battery exchange - buying an additional pack is $$$. Get a quote first. If you're going to spend the $$ for the bigger pack you may as well get the comp.

No more Levo or Levo Comp until the 2021 collection, available in Autumn/Winter 2020...
My Holy Grail has to wait.

P.S. 5'8", standover height a tad over 31"

Friends, as long as I don't ride into the forest, my Vado will temporarily do for the hills, and the Lovelec is for long tours on the flatland.

After I had ridden my Lovelec for some time, the bike was damaged by a distant friend of mine (the husband of the friend who's buying a Giant now) and it was a long wait for a spare part. You may honestly call me an ignorant but I was never interested in watching the cycling and was even not aware the brand Specialized existed (I heard of Giant and Trek). By watching the Electric Mountain Bike Network, I fell in love with the Levo. As a practical person, I promptly understood my needs didn't involve an e-MTB. I got interested with Specialized though and the Court's review made me buy the speed Vado on the spot.

The Levo remains my dream. It is good to have dreams :)

@Browneye, what is the principal difference between the Trance and the Stance? And the Reign?

Because... I might want a Giant, you know? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: TMH
Well, first there's the FATHOM E - their hard-tail MTB. I didn't really know about this model when I was ready to buy, but probably would have suited me better - I might have gotten by with one bike instead of two. It's a much more aggressive Explore, and has the bigger 500w pack but the 'sport' motor like the Explore.

Stance - Giant's budget eMTB, also offered as a 29'r. Smallish forks, basic gears and brakes, it's an affordable entry-level bike. In my mind it is more youth-focused. For less aggressive trails, or to use as a hybrid road/dirt bike, it might work out nicely. The price is right on them. The 'Power' version is the 27.5 size with the sport motor, and the Stance-Pro has the 29" wheels and 'Pro' motor. Both have the 500w pack.

Trance - With two levels of performance (no SX +0 Pro this year), this is their mainstay mountain bike, focused on trail riding. For 2020 in the US they have their E+1 Pro, the flagship, and the E+3 Pro, their more entry-level offering. I would say the E=3 is very much on par with the base turbo levo, similarly priced, but has 27.5 wheelsets compared to the Levo's 29's. The +1 has higher level component spec, nicer suspension and brakes, gears, etc, more on par with the levo comp, but there is no 700w pack (yet).
As I keep saying, it's time for Giant/Yamaha to offer a 700w pack before they simply get left behind. I guess their 'range extender' pack is their answer to this.

Reign - Giant's new downhill oriented 'enduro' bike. It is really raked out for hardcore downhill, 170mm forks, a carbon fiber frame offering. And this model now supports the new 'Range Extender' 250w piggyback battery pack for 750w of pack. This one more compares to the Kenevo, IIRC.

The Reign E+2 Pro might be a great option for you due to the extended pack and range. MSRP for US is $5500.
@PDoz, or other owners of one, may have more familiarity with this model, or tried it, have seen it in action. One of my local dealers that had one to look at ( I did not ride one) told me it would feel the most like a dirtbike to me out of all of them due to it's raked out geometry, long wheelbase, long travel suspension. I gravitated toward the Trance simply for being a little sportier as an all-arounder, trail bike, good at climbing as well as downhill.

I would have to sit down and study all the specs for all of the bikes to expound further on their differences. What is really great about the Giant lineup is the broad range of offerings - something for everyone. And then the whole LIV line for the ladies as well. Oh, and the Yamaha SyncDrive is just the best. 👍

Last edited:
All your fault Chris, now I am looking to add a third Giant ..... ;)
Seriously considering 2020 Trance E+1 with it's hypnotic green/yellow color scheme, ouch on the $$$$. Hoping Ricardo/Mike will come through.

@Browneye, what is the principal difference between the Trance and the Stance? And the Reign?

Because... I might want a Giant, you know? :D

Stefan, the stance also has a different rear suspension linkage design , think budget bike designed to look like a dual suspension rather than a high end efficient off road masterpiece.

Giant has used a multi link rear suspension design called Maestro for ages, it was a game changer in their acoustic trance range because it isolated the energy sapping bounce from pedalling , yet provuded a very progressive rear suspension. The trance and reign have the maestro linkages , but the stance just has a single lower pivot.

A stance also has a shorter , more upright riding position and most of them have the less sophisticated sport motor ( less pawls so not quite as quick to engage, lower torque , think shimano competitor rather than brose beater)

NB , I still think the stance us a very good choice for someone intending to wander along country trails . Ignore the massive price saving - it's designed to be comfortable and easy to ride , will still suck up moderate obstacles , and for most of us mere mortals we're unlikely to notice the performance drop.

BUT , you're looking for a dream machine? A mistress, not a wife. Try and get a ride on the levo sl. Whilst it might not be the hard hitter the advertisers want you to lust after, it IS a slim sexy gymnast

Levo SL = 17.4 kg. "The most like a regular mountain bike out of all of them".

Tough decisions... it's always good to have choices ;)

Levo SL = 17.4 kg. "The most like a regular mountain bike out of all of them".

Even lighter if you remove the main battery and use the smaller range extender.

I'm waiting for my lbs to have one as a demo. In theory I could use an SL with just the range extender for midday quick rides (1 hour mtb facility destress sessions) and keep the full obEse for longer trips

Riding the Fullerton loop with them tonight. 😊
Greetings! Here is a follow-up. Well, I purchased the Giant Trance SX Pro 0 last Thursday size small. Rode it in the alley behind the shop and loved it.... took it home rode it on paved hill climbs and it fell short to my Liv Valle E with the smaller motor. I believe the geometry of the bike made me less efficient even though the specs were close. The motor has a nice deep sound and felt somewhat responsive, the suspension super over potholes, the SRAM shifters were harder to work than the Shimano gears that I am used to. I miss my built in display. I’m returning the bike and holding out for a Liv Intrigue if they can come up with something other than black or rust colored! 🚴‍♀️

This. I may buy it today.

You mentioned earlier that technical riding wasn't part of the equation. Reign E+2 has 170mm (7") of travel. Seems like overkill for your wants and needs. 120 - 140mm travel would be more than enough for trail riding and off road excursions you plan on doing and the bike would feel more 'lively' if you will with less suspension travel.

Trance or Stance seems better choice if you go Giant.

Back