Electric Car thread

That's a good tip. I charge at home after 9pm when the rates go down and forget at least once a week. I need to get in the habit of plugging the car in and utilizing the cars "built in timer" to start charging at 9pm everyday. Hey, I just created a new project! I'm still not sold on public charger availability for a longer trip. Many times I have shown up at a charging station only to find them not working or being utilized by another EV. I've also seen the spaces being used by shoppers in ICE cars that either cant read or just plain selfish...
What make electric car do you have? Does it come from a company with a wide dealership network? My Nissan Leaf is welcomed at any Nissan dealership for a free Level 2 or free Level 3 DC fast charge anytime. And those dealerships (for now) blanket the country. This is my first choice for charging outside my area because they are far more reliable than a 3rd party application and are less used.

Just a thought.

"plugless" charging isn't mainstream yet but it is available for some EV's. It eliminates the need to remember to plug in your car:

Anything on the market now requires a physical plug attached to the car to charge. Maybe in the next decade or so the wireless charging might be an option, but for now we need to be smart and preprogram our cars and NOT forget to plug in the charger every time we park our car at home!

What make electric car do you have? Does it come from a company with a wide dealership network? My Nissan Leaf is welcomed at any Nissan dealership for a free Level 2 or free Level 3 DC fast charge anytime. And those dealerships (for now) blanket the country. This is my first choice for charging outside my area because they are far more reliable than a 3rd party application and are less used.

Just a thought.
Hyundai Kona and I think they have a decent network, but anytime I have swung by for a quick charge, they either have demos charging or ICE cars taking up space. They also don't really promote coming by for a charge.

I have a friend with a Taycan Turbo S. He says it costs him about $7 CDN to charge to 100% from near the bottom.
My son-in-law has a VW ID.4 on order. I think it shows in October.
Myself, I've only owned a car for 3 of the last 24 years. I am wired to not need a car after going without for so long. I'm not even insured on the wifey's car. I just laugh when I see the gas prices.
We just got back from Ireland and Scotland. You think gas prices are bad here? Yeah, right.
CN

I have a friend with a Taycan Turbo S. He says it costs him about $7 CDN to charge to 100% from near the bottom.
My son-in-law has a VW ID.4 on order. I think it shows in October.
Myself, I've only owned a car for 3 of the last 24 years. I am wired to not need a car after going without for so long. I'm not even insured on the wifey's car. I just laugh when I see the gas prices.
We just got back from Ireland and Scotland. You think gas prices are bad here? Yeah, right.
CN

those are some very low electricity rates! 93 kwh battery, let’s assume “near the bottom” means 20%…. he’s getting 75 kwh (assuming no charging losses!) for $7 canadian? 9 cents a kilowatt hour. is that some sort of off peak deal?

those are some very low electricity rates! 93 kwh battery, let’s assume “near the bottom” means 20%…. he’s getting 75 kwh (assuming no charging losses!) for $7 canadian? 9 cents a kilowatt hour. is that some sort of off peak deal?

I have no idea. I took him at his word. They have a charger at home for 2 Taycans.
CN

One ride on the electric car impressed me with its sharpness. the speed of the torque transfer is impressive.

Bought my first all EV in 2013 - Nissan Leaf. It was our only vehicle between my wife and I. We drove that for 6 years and leased a 2019 Leaf. We are just about to trade up to a 2023 Leaf Plus. Probably be the last car we buy - I am going to drive this one until it won't go anymore.
Been living the EV life since 2013 and I will never buy anther gas vehicle.

At least around here, the power company offers a lower plan for EV drivers - you agree to only charge off hours and they give you a better rate. I forget, but I think our rate is around .09 cents (maybe .11?) per KWh

At least around here, the power company offers a lower plan for EV drivers - you agree to only charge off hours and they give you a better rate. I forget, but I think our rate is around .09 cents (maybe .11?) per KWh

I'm very, very jealous. Here in California with the very mis-managed PG&E, it's $.24 off peak.

i read all the time the most towed cars are electric...buyer beware
I will only counter to say that in 10 years of having an all electric car, I have been towed once. And that was my fault for not being patient enough.
We put 75000 miles on the 2013 Leaf and have 34000 on my 2019.

01D75942-2ED7-4D1E-B0C0-386435CDF139.jpeg

We took it home yesterday. The bright blue metallic really pops. It really caught my attention when I arrived at the dealership lot. I've already gotten used to the one-pedal driving but definitely will need some time to get smoother. It's pretty fun, not quite as fun as driving a manual but fun in a video game kind of way. This is the first car I've ever driven with adaptive cruise and I think it'll be my favorite feature as someone with a ~75-mile round trip commute. I'm not totally trusting it yet since it doesn't quite react the way I would but it's nice. Overall, I'm really pleased with the first impressions. I'm hoping to discover more to be happy about. 😊

View attachment 130441

We took it home yesterday. The bright blue metallic really pops. It really caught my attention when I arrived at the dealership lot. I've already gotten used to the one-pedal driving but definitely will need some time to get smoother. It's pretty fun, not quite as fun as driving a manual but fun in a video game kind of way. This is the first car I've ever driven with adaptive cruise and I think it'll be my favorite feature as someone with a ~75-mile round trip commute. I'm not totally trusting it yet since it doesn't quite react the way I would but it's nice. Overall, I'm really pleased with the first impressions. I'm hoping to discover more to be happy about. 😊
Fantastic. Is that a leaf? One pedal driving is my favorite feature. As is adaptive cruise. Oh, and never having an oil change. Oh, and not spending a dime for maintenance other than tires. Oh and….. 😝

Fantastic. Is that a leaf? One pedal driving is my favorite feature. As is adaptive cruise. Oh, and never having an oil change. Oh, and not spending a dime for maintenance other than tires. Oh and….. 😝

It's a terrible picture, I know. 😁 I'm just excited to share. It's a Bolt EUV. And yes, I'm looking forward to more of what you mentioned!

Reactions: BET
View attachment 130441

Nice. Question, is there much difference in insurance premiums, either more or less $, compared to an ICE type commuter car?

Nice. Question, is there much difference in insurance premiums, either more or less $, compared to an ICE type commuter car?
I have read that Yes, an electric car is slightly more expensive to insure due to the price of replacement parts (especially the batteries) if they are damaged. They’re also more expensive as an initial purchase compared to a comparable ICE car so the value is higher.

It’s been a while since I had to insure and non EV car, but I don’t remember being shocked at the difference, so I believe it was minimal if any increase.

Certainly make up any difference within a week or two of not buying gas.

Back