Electric Car thread

Why aren't you installing a level 2 at your home?
All it takes is add a dual pole 30Amp breaker in your panel (assuming there is room for it), to connect a 240V level 2.
Depending on where you live, I could see reasons why you would prefer to charge off-site. First being access to free chargers of course. But additionally, some communities have tiered energy billing, and charging a car would likely drive you up into the next tier quickly. Here in BC Canada, you pay 9c per kwh for the first 1350kw, but then it bumps significantly to over 14c per kwh. If I can get a good rate at a speed charger, and top up over a coffee once or twice a week, you might prefer that when compared to the combined cost of charger purchase/installation, and energy consumption at home. Many folks in the city also don't have convenient access to parking that would allow them to use a home charger. I know a number of people who drive EV's, but don't charge at home, and are quite happy with their arrangements.

But also here in BC, you can get a $350 rebate for a home level 2 charger that helps with the up-front cost, so repayment might come a lot faster for some. If you have solar or wind at your house, even better!

Depending on where you live, I could see reasons why you would prefer to charge off-site. First being access to free chargers of course. But additionally, some communities have tiered energy billing, and charging a car would likely drive you up into the next tier quickly. Here in BC Canada, you pay 9c per kwh for the first 1350kw, but then it bumps significantly to over 14c per kwh. If I can get a good rate at a speed charger, and top up over a coffee once or twice a week, you might prefer that when compared to the combined cost of charger purchase/installation, and energy consumption at home. Many folks in the city also don't have convenient access to parking that would allow them to use a home charger. I know a number of people who drive EV's, but don't charge at home, and are quite happy with their arrangements.

But also here in BC, you can get a $350 rebate for a home level 2 charger that helps with the up-front cost, so repayment might come a lot faster for some. If you have solar or wind at your house, even better!
I had my electricians install two NEMA14-50 outlets in my garage when I got my e-car 4 years ago. One outlet on the side I park the car; the other outlet for the future electric truck (which should come by 1st quarter of next year). You could say I was/am prepared. My power company charges one flat rate 24/7 (.11/KwH) so there is no incentive to charge at a time of day when a lesser rate would be offered. Now, once my solar is installed, if there are any changes to the power company's policy, I'm already insulated.

Charging is going to be an issue for those in condos, apartments, and who have to use street parking. For them, a convenient public station is going to be critical until the local infrastructure catches up to the need for "home charging" in a non-single dwelling location. We could be looking 5 to 7 years out from now until condos and apartments get on board.

Why aren't you installing a level 2 at your home?
All it takes is add a dual pole 30Amp breaker in your panel (assuming there is room for it), to connect a 240V level 2.
I looked into it and based on how much I am driving, it is not worth doing the install. I mainly use it for groceries, golf and gettin around town. The 3 Gs!! A big day of driving for me these days is 50 miles. I probably average 15 miles a day driving the Kona EV. I would probably use my ICE car should I need to travel out of town...

As long as you can fully charge overnight, you definitely don't care.
I installed my two EVSE level 2 outlet myself, so the cost was negligible :)

Last edited:
Been a fan of Rivian since watching Long Way Up. And I really need to stop watching the review videos since I’m starting to justify what would be a crazy purchase for me. Amazing vehicle that can do almost everything better than dedicated sports cars, off-roaders or luxury sedans.
I've been watching Rivian since I first heard (5 years ago) they were developing/building/testing an electric truck. I immediately sent them my $1k to hold a place for me with the maxpack truck. I'm getting my Rivian in blue, the Adventure package. Wish they still had the "tank turn" option, but they eliminated that fun option a while back due to it being a hard thing to program and it being more a gimmick than something useful.

This country (US) is crying out for electric trucks, but the cars (Bolt, Leaf, and Tesla) came first. The Ford Lightening is eagerly awaited by Ford fans, but I'm thrilled to be ditching my diesel F250 Super Duty Crew Cab with 8' bed that gets 13MPG but can pull a house off its foundation for a new, fast, fossil fuel free electric Rivian truck. My F250 is a awesome machine for pulling and hauling, but d@mn it is expensive to fuel. I noticed today (with horror) that diesel just jumped to $5.39/gallon. Three days ago it was $4.99.:(:mad: I cruised past the gas station this afternoon in my electric car, checking the gas prices, after hubby and I finished shopping. Our total miles driven today were 47.2 miles. That's pretty much normal for us living out in the countryside with most conveniences (like Home Depot) 20+ miles away.

Re: the Rivian - my husband (who follows the Rivian forums closely) keeps asking if I want to drop down to a large pack battery (300+ miles per charge) to get a truck sooner, but I'm firm on wanting/waiting for the max pack (400+ miles per charge). If my Leaf taught me anything in 4 years of ownership, its that "you can't have too much battery, but you can have too little".

Last edited:
I've been watching Rivian since I first heard (5 years ago) they were developing/building/testing an electric truck. I immediately sent them my $1k to hold a place for me with the maxpack truck. I'm getting my Rivian in blue, the Adventure package. Wish they still had the "tank turn" option, but they eliminated that fun option a while back due to it being a hard thing to program and it being more a gimmick than something useful.

This country (US) is crying out for electric trucks, but the cars (Bolt, Leaf, and Tesla) came first. The Ford Lightening is eagerly awaited by Ford fans, but I'm thrilled to be ditching my diesel F250 Super Duty Crew Cab with 8' bed that gets 13MPG but can pull a house off its foundation for a new, fast, fossil fuel free electric truck. My F250 is a awesome machine for pulling and hauling, but da@n it is expensive to fuel. I noticed today (with horror) that diesel just jumped to $5.39/gallon. Three days ago it was $4.99.:(:mad: I cruised past the gas station this afternoon in my electric car, checking the gas prices, after hubby and I finished shopping. Our total miles driven today were 47.2 miles. That's pretty much normal for us living out in the countryside with most conveniences (like Home Depot) 20+ miles away.

Re: the Rivian - my husband (who follows the Rivian forums closely) keeps asking if I want to drop down to a large pack battery (300+ miles per charge) to get a truck sooner, but I'm firm on wanting/waiting for the max pack (400+ miles per charge). If my Leaf taught me anything in 4 years of ownership, its that "you can't have too much battery, but you can have too little".

Paid 5.69 today to fill up my ICE car. $72.00 smackers. ouch...

Paid 5.69 today to fill up my ICE car. $72.00 smackers. ouch...
Ouch indeed! That hit me in the gut because I STILL have to get gas for the mowers, and if I take the Prius for a long drive anywhere. I am NOT moving my truck unless I have no other options.

I'm planning a 500 mile round trip to Philadelphia in June. I cringe at what I might have to pay for gas. We'll be taking the Prius with 4 people on board, and at a rate of close to 59mpg, even running at turnpike speeds of 75mph, it is a better choice time-wise than the 150 mile range Leaf which would need to be charged at least once if not twice mid-route. There is a free Level 2 charging station just down the street from our destination which would give us a full 100% to start the journey home, but while on the road I still have to put up with a Detroit born hubby that hates sitting at any Level 3 fast charge for re-fueling. Plus those Level 3 are pay-to-charge unless I hit up the two Nissan dealerships along my route. If it was just me traveling, I'd charge at the dealerships. Nice facilities and nice staff and free.

Last edited:
Ouch indeed! That hit me in the gut because I STILL have to get gas for the mowers, and if I take the Prius for a long drive anywhere. I am NOT moving my truck unless I have no other options.

I'm planning a 500 mile round trip to Philadelphia in June. I cringe at what I might have to pay for gas. We'll be taking the Prius with 4 people on board, and at a rate of close to 59mpg, even running at turnpike speeds of 75mph, it is a better choice time-wise than the 150 mile range Leaf which would need to be charged at least once if not twice mid-route. There is a free Level 2 charging station just down the street from our destination which would give us a full 100% to start the journey home, but while on the road I still have to put up with a Detroit born hubby that hates sitting at any Level 3 fast charge for re-fueling. Plus those Level 3 are pay-to-charge unless I hit up the two Nissan dealerships along my route. If it was just me traveling, I'd charge at the dealerships. Nice facilities and nice staff and free.
I have also found that chargers are not 100% guaranteed even if it shows they are on the app. I have pulled up and either there is an out of order sign on the charger, or an ICE car in the charging spot while the owner is shopping or dining. Gives new meaning to the fraze being "Iced"!

Lady ahead of me today at Costco put $121 into her SUV. Ouch, Ouch! My Honda CR-V hybrid arrives next month. Choosing a hybrid because I want a form of electric but also want to avoid the hassle of long-wait recharges during annual cross-country trips; along with several 300-400 mile get-aways with friends, all hauling ebikes. Honda and Toyota are the only hybrid options.

Residential garage level 2 outlets should soon become a regular option and a good resale point. I agree with ReadytoRide that existing large condo and apartment complexes will be late adopters relative to the cost and inconvenience of installing the electric infrastructure. Residents will need to purchase charging time slots because the system load would be hellish if everyone plugged in at the same time when they got home from work. Unless, of course, they could also recharge in their employer’s, or commercial parking lot. Again, lots of parking lot underground electrical infrastructure needed.

Lady ahead of me today at Costco put $121 into her SUV. Ouch, Ouch! My Honda CR-V hybrid arrives next month. Choosing a hybrid because I want a form of electric but also want to avoid the hassle of long-wait recharges during annual cross-country trips; along with several 300-400 mile get-aways with friends, all hauling ebikes. Honda and Toyota are the only hybrid options.

Residential garage level 2 outlets should soon become a regular option and a good resale point. I agree with ReadytoRide that existing large condo and apartment complexes will be late adopters relative to the cost and inconvenience of installing the electric infrastructure. Residents will need to purchase charging time slots because the system load would be hellish if everyone plugged in at the same time when they got home from work. Unless, of course, they could also recharge in their employer’s, or commercial parking lot. Again, lots of parking lot underground electrical infrastructure needed.
You would think someone would be working on large EV management systems for fleet use. Balances the load on the network and speed charges the lowest ones first, trickle charges the rest? If not, maybe a development opportunity for some upstart in the EV charger game. You have to think that one day well in the EV future, every spot would have charging capacity. Maybe even wireless charging parking stalls? But I'll stop geeking out now... :-D

Last week, at $6.22 a gallon, I filled my Toyota Tundra and it was about $132.00 I remember. Fortunately, that will last 6 to 8 weeks at the rate I drive it, just for trips to the dump, etc. Most of my miles are on my motorcycles and the e bike, but still quite a bit of moolah for a fill up. At least the M/C get +50 mph.

I have also found that chargers are not 100% guaranteed even if it shows they are on the app. I have pulled up and either there is an out of order sign on the charger, or an ICE car in the charging spot while the owner is shopping or dining. Gives new meaning to the fraze being "Iced"!
Which is why I prefer to Level 3 charge at a Nissan dealership. Any of their charging stations that are iced are quickly un-iced when a Nissan owner comes into the showroom to ask if the offending vehicle could be removed. In the few times I've had to ask for ice vehicles to be moved to access a charging spot, it was done very quickly, no fuss.

Photo below taken at a free Level 3 at a dealership in Maryland when I was meeting up with the Washington DC ebike group for a ride last week. (Notice my Vado ebike on the hitch rack). I was slightly outside my round trip range so had called ahead to the dealership (which was 4 miles up the road from the ride site) to see if their Level 3 was working. It was, and they said they would be happy to have me stop in. Well, when I arrived the charge spot was partly blocked by an empty car waiting to be moved into the service bay. I popped my head in the door to the Service Department, said hi,and asked politely if the blocking car could be moved a bit so I could get into the Level 3 charge spot. Within seconds a staff member was out with the car keys to move the car with genuine apologies. I thanked them with a smile. I wouldn't get that kind of response for entitled persons who park their gas guzzlers in public charging spots. I used to see that a lot, but have not seen any stations being iced in over a year. Maybe because those spots are now popping up everywhere and people are realizing that electric cars are a reality not a myth? Not sure, but its a good sign.

Charged up within 15 minutes from 46% to 92%, then headed off to the bike ride meet with more than enough battery to get home.
20220416_charging-at-MD-ebike-ride.jpg
Just for fun, these were my new "BFFs" made during the ebike ride in a "groupie" shot. We all did the long route (32 mile ride) and honestly had a blast. I'm the one in the red Rivian logo shirt.
Barb-Flora-Nancy-Karyn-BikeRide-Apr16th2022.jpeg

Last week I stopped at a Wawa just off of I95 in Fredericksburg VA. In one corner of their parking lot were at least 8 Tesla chargers, half in use

...the system load would be hellish if everyone plugged in at the same time when they got home from work. Unless, of course, they could also recharge in their employer’s, or commercial parking lot. Again, lots of parking lot underground electrical infrastructure needed.
Actually, it would be like everyone coming home at 6pm and turning on their stoves/oven at the same time. Same energy draw. Then again, all electric cars have delayed charging timing in their software so that you can set when you want your car to start charging. Mine is set to automatically start charging at 11pm every night, even though I always start charging right away when I get home and plug in the EVSE. That delayed timer is just a fail safe for me in case I forget to tell the car to start charging the second I plug in. Note: I have to tell the car (push a particular button) if I want it to charge immediately, otherwise it politely waits until 11pm to start charging.

I have a friend whose husband has a Model 3. He was still new to the car, and one day forgot to charge it. He had to use his wife's Prius the next day and boy was he miffed having to drive it. LOL! That was the only lesson he needed to set and use that Tesla's auto-timer!

Last week I stopped at a Wawa just off of I95 in Fredericksburg VA. In one corner of their parking lot were at least 8 Tesla chargers, half in use
If there is one thing the automotive world needed to mimic from Tesla's domination, it was Musk's foresight to have a worldwide charging infrastructure for his Tesla brand, as well as destination (Level 2) chargers scattered at every popular store and business that was willing to have the stations. One of the smartest, most far thinking thing I've ever seen. Everyone else has relied upon 3rd party businesses for charging stations, including Nissan and Chevrolet (with their Bolt). If you want fast high level adoption you need a reliable, quality assured, national expansive way to keep your vehicle models going on long trips far from home. Musk realized this very early on and went like wildfire to build out a worldwide system to support his cars long before they became the best selling evs in the world.

Rivian is planning out a national charging infrastructure incorporating national and state parks, and adventure sites. Since Rivian's Level 3 charges via CCS, they can rely on the 3rd party companies which are supporting that method of charge and are found in normal cities and along interstates.

Last edited:
I was looking at the egolf. I ended up also finding info on adapters to use Tesla chargers and a vendor that creates custom batteries for the egolf.

Kona EV was on my list too. Also the Niro.

I also think it’s early to jump on electric vehicles. Battery technology could make a huge jump in about 5 years. I feel it. Ranges will probably double.

Instead, I got a mazda3 hatchback. I get about 26 miles per gallon. With riding my Ride1Up 700 series, I only drive once a week. Figure I save $6 a day, when I ride my bike.

Fun Fact: The Ride1Up 700 XR will fit in the back of a 2018 Mazda3 hatchback. You just need to take the front tire off.

Last edited:
I love my Ridgeline…but if I still need a pickup in two years…this will be my first choice…The Rivian is the premium pick, sure, but I have to save some powder for the new ebikes sure to drop.

Back