Electric Car thread

Tax credits were always payments against your tax liability. What changed ?
Credits aren't much good to those with low tax liability. You can't offset taxes with these credits that you don't owe. Unless the laws are amended to allow carry over to subsequent tax years, these credits are all but useless to many.

Credits aren't much good to those with low tax liability. You can't offset taxes with these credits that you don't owe. Unless the laws are amended to allow carry over to subsequent tax years, these credits are all but useless to many.
Ok, that’s what I thought. Thanks

We got a $7500 tax credit with our 2022 plug-in hybrid Rav4 AWD SUV that we purchased this past June. It is averaging 99 mpg so far. We generate more electricity than we use with the solar panels on the roof so there is no cost for most trips of less than 44 miles overall.

Problem with most EV sedans is they do not have a spare tire. If you get a flat then you need a flat bed tow truck to take the car to the nearest auto store and buy a new tire and hope that the store is open and has the tire you need in stock. That could mean a hotel stay and restaurant meals and if it happened on the way to the airport you would be SOL.

No single car meets all our needs. In the past it was always a pickup truck and a sedan or a SUV and a sedan. Now we have a 4WD pickup truck and the AWD SUV. The change was from a Prius hybrid that provided 44 mpg fuel economy and required very little in maintenance costs over the 15 years it was used. Most of our around town trips are done with the more fuel efficient vehicle. I don't need a large SUV or pickup to go buy groceries. Having 90% of our miles with a 44 mpg (now a 99 mpg) sedan the other 10% with the 16 mpg truck provides a combined "fleet" fuel economy of 65 mpg.

With the majority of vehicles used by households providing 20 mpg or less in fuel economy, almost any small car will be a big improvement. A Kia Soul or a Honda Fit or a Toyota Prius are great values and very reliable.

Federal tax credits are gone with the Chevy and Tesla vehicles and will end for Toyota vehicles by the end of 2022.

I wonder at some point a meter will be on the car to charge the driver mileage fees for the road tax.
VA already has a "fuel efficient fee or surcharge" my wife had to pay extra because VA said we didn't burn enough gas to pay for road upkeep.

We got a $7500 tax credit with our 2022 plug-in hybrid Rav4 AWD SUV that we purchased this past June. It is averaging 99 mpg so far. We generate more electricity than we use with the solar panels on the roof so there is no cost for most trips of less than 44 miles overall.

Problem with most EV sedans is they do not have a spare tire. If you get a flat then you need a flat bed tow truck to take the car to the nearest auto store and buy a new tire and hope that the store is open and has the tire you need in stock. That could mean a hotel stay and restaurant meals and if it happened on the way to the airport you would be SOL.

No single car meets all our needs. In the past it was always a pickup truck and a sedan or a SUV and a sedan. Now we have a 4WD pickup truck and the AWD SUV. The change was from a Prius hybrid that provided 44 mpg fuel economy and required very little in maintenance costs over the 15 years it was used. Most of our around town trips are done with the more fuel efficient vehicle. I don't need a large SUV or pickup to go buy groceries. Having 90% of our miles with a 44 mpg (now a 99 mpg) sedan the other 10% with the 16 mpg truck provides a combined "fleet" fuel economy of 65 mpg.

With the majority of vehicles used by households providing 20 mpg or less in fuel economy, almost any small car will be a big improvement. A Kia Soul or a Honda Fit or a Toyota Prius are great values and very reliable.

Federal tax credits are gone with the Chevy and Tesla vehicles and will end for Toyota vehicles by the end of 2022.
Tax credits will be back in 2023 for N American made ev cars including Chevy. I am planning on getting the 2024 Chevy Equinox.

That "don't go above 80% charge" is NOT for home charging. It has no relevance to lithium batteries and the car's software maintenance developed in this day and age because you are shorting your own range for no benefits at all.
That isn't true. It depends largely on what chemistry your batteries are. If LiFePO4 also called LFP, then charging to 100% all the time is fine. If almost any other chemistry currently used in EVs then that 80% is for ANY charging method, including at home. Take a look at Tesla, for example. If the car has the LFP battery pack it will show 100% as a daily charge limit whereas if it does not have the LFP pack it will have 80% as the daily charge limit. The best advice to follow is to see what the manufacturer says to do for long battery life for a particular car.

Now, if you are Level 2 charging at home, the fill at 7-11kWh remains consistent because it is delivered as alternating current, not direct current.
I'm not trying to be difficult, but this statement isn't entirely true either. The charge rate has nothing to do with being "delivered as alternating current." In both DC fast charging and Level 2 at home charging the charger is fed with AC current. In the case of the DC fast charging the charger is in the unit outside the car and with Level 2 charging at home the charger is in the car, known as the on-board charger or OBC. Both chargers convert the AC current to DC current for the battery. In simple terms, the car essentially tells the charger, "charge as fast as you want up to a maximum of X Amps but don't go over the measured voltage of Y Volts." The higher the current the lower the state of charge (SOC) the battery will be at when the max voltage will be reached resulting in the current naturally dropping to keep the voltage in check. When the charge rate is relatively slow to begin with the charge rate will not drop until the battery is nearly full and if it was slow enough to begin with it will not slow at all before just shutting off.

There are other things which will cause the battery management system (BMS) to signal to the charger to cut back on charge rate, mostly battery temperature (too low or too high) and cell balancing, which often happens at the end of charge. Sometimes these conditions mean the charge rate has to be lower for a while for warming/cooling or balancing to happen properly.

For those who wonder, I have a degree in Physics, I've been driving and upgrading electric cars since 2006. My statements above are from my formal training, personal testing, and extensive reading of technical reports, and research papers from competent people and groups. I'd leave this out but wanted people to know that I'm not just spouting things I "read on the internet." Afterall, I earned my physics degree before the internet was invented. LOL

Will you drive it first before deciding ?
Likely drive one at dealer. I may have to order just what I want which is the more standard version. They say around 30k. After July 2023 my state will have a $1500 tax credit as well as the $7500 federal credit. We like Chevy. Similar battery system will be in new Silverado truck. Comes with lots of safety technology. It will not be our only car.

Likely drive one at dealer. I may have to order just what I want which is the more standard version. They say around 30k. After July 2023 my state will have a $1500 tax credit as well as the $7500 federal credit. We like Chevy. Similar battery system will be in new Silverado truck. Comes with lots of safety technology. It will not be our only car.
I think 30k is very optimistic but I might wrong. Hopefully, the fire risk is a thing of the past.

I purchased a 2022 Hyundai Kona EV in November of 2021. I received the 7500 Federal Tax Credit as well as 1500 or 2k from the State of CA. (cant remember exact #) With that said, I think I'm going to buy another EV before the end of the year. The problem I am finding is actually getting my mitts on a car. Considering selling my 2022 and buying a 2023 if the same tax credit applies...

Its been interesting to see how much recharging electricity my car has been taking from the new solar array. My array, under full sun, produces a top amount of 8.9kWh. My car sucks up 7.7kWh with Level 2 recharging. Not quite an even exchange, but close. And still tons cheaper than buying gas (which we still do for our hybrid car, the truck, and the farm tractors)

News reports from the financial services are claiming the price of gas will go up again in a few months due to all kinds of pressure on oil manufacturing and the current issues with Russia. That's going to also put more pressure on needing more electric cars to sell.

Back