Electric Car thread

Yes. The 240v home AC charging speed isn’t the issue as it’s pretty much on par with every other manufacturer. Where it falls short is DC fast charging. It tops out at 55kw which means that going from 10%-80% will be at least a 45-50 minute rest stop on road trips. That will be fine if you’re going to eat a meal but it would suck to wait around that long if you’re just doing a bio break.

I can confirm that Chevy will subsidize up to $1500 for a 240v home install or they will give you a $500 charging credit (at Electrify America IIRC) if you can’t take advantage of the free install.

At this point, Chevy has confirmed that the Bolt is going to be discontinued probably after 2023 since they’re going to their much faster charging Ultium platform. That’s probably why they slashed the prices pretty dramatically as well as no longer qualifying for the $7500 US federal tax credit.
I think they will keep the Bolt around awhile as it is the cheapest US car to qualify for the new $7500 tax rebate in 2023.

I think they will keep the Bolt around awhile as it is the cheapest US car to qualify for the new $7500 tax rebate in 2023.
I read where 2023 is the last year for the bolt as they transition into the new Ultium platform. The Bolt is old tech.

I’m not a motorbiker but if I was, this would definitely be a consideration.

Last edited:

I share your hope! There’s so much value in the lower cost EVs like the Leaf, Bolt and Kona. They’re so well packaged for the price and they give customers who may have been looking at ICE vehicles another option for something that runs cleaner, more efficiently with a lot less fuel costs.

I share your hope! There’s so much value in the lower cost EVs like the Leaf, Bolt and Kona. They’re so well packaged for the price and they give customers who may have been looking at ICE vehicles another option for something that runs cleaner, more efficiently with a lot less fuel costs.
I have almost 6k miles on my 2022 Kona EV. It is a really nice car. I think with tax I paid around 40k. 7500 federal tax credit and another 1500 or so from the state. A little road noise compared to my last luxury SUV but its tolerable. For now, running errands and driving 50 miles max a day it's perfect. I sure don't miss stopping at the Shell and paying 150 to fill the beast every week. It does make a lot of warning noises though, but I'm starting to get used to them.

Attachments

• 1 up w Gravelster.jpg
    1 up w Gravelster.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 123
I bet a majority percentage that are trading in their ICE trucks for the Rivian will use it for "real truck stuff". Otherwise, why buy it?

The other percentage that have trucks for show, camping, and cross county rambles, will buy it for the same reasons. It is being billed as an "adventure vehicle" with an Adventure Package featuring all sorts of options for going off road and off grid.

It has the build and capability of doing far more than just hauling lumber.
Around here the big "crew cab" short bed trucks are rarely work trucks as shown by their leather interiors, air conditioning, and enough technology to follow Facebook while driving to work.
The long bed trucks with racks are the real work trucks.

Around here the big "crew cab" short bed trucks are rarely work trucks as shown by their leather interiors, air conditioning, and enough technology to follow Facebook while driving to work.
The long bed trucks with racks are the real work trucks.
You aren’t carrying any plywood with a 54” bed.

Just as an FYI, the new Inflation Reduction Act will probably be signed into law tomorrow and that will exclude quite a few vehicles from the existing Fed credit immediately, namely any non-domestic one as the North American final assembly clause is active upon signing.

Automakers are asking customers to sign binding contracts to get an exclusion prior to tomorrow and many who have reservations are asked to convert some of it to non-refundable to cover this requirement.

More than likely true. Just commenting your contention on what can and can't be carried. One of my son's buddies is a contractor and he works out of an SUV. Has larger material delivered. All depends on what your specialty is.
I‘m talking about real truck stuff. Hauling firewood, tossing rocks and concrete in the back etc, not a bag of mulch at HD.It is a cool vehicle.

Isn't what constitutes a "real truck" relative?

Even with shortbeds you can put longer stuff in it with the tailgate open, a bed extender or just putting it in over the tailgate.

Some "real trucks" require "real workers" thus the need for a quad/crew cab to carry the extra people so maybe a shorter bed is unavoidable.

Don't measure a real truck by the length. :)

Even with shortbeds you can put longer stuff in it with the tailgate open, a bed extender or just putting it in over the tailgate.

Some "real trucks" require "real workers" thus the need for a quad/crew cab to carry the extra people so maybe a shorter bed is unavoidable.

Are you implying size doesn't matter?

So if you saved carefully built a nice savings account and retired with only SS you get nothing. No taxes on SS, you paid them on your savings. Just like solar tax credits nada. You could have done well enough to pay outrageously high income tax and carefully saved. Pay cash, and zero impetus with no rebates.

Absolutely - the whole calling a ute a truck thing.....weird.

Old faithful , she was retired from recreational cartage duties a few years back, but I bought her last century.

D5F20BF1-83CA-4491-84A7-40F1DF374DAC.jpeg

Now she just cruises around the paddock, carting firewood / mulch / entertaining my 13 yo...

CC106134-9810-4B92-9B93-0A6A2B061B09.jpeg

Sure, most of her half a million km were spent doing urban duties - shopping, taking me to the office etc. But she's done plenty of " truck" work that I'd love to find an ev capable of! Like wandering through outback Australia, a trip through the kimberley where that tub carried 900 km fuel range and camping gear for 2 people remote travel . Everything from beaches to the snow - sometimes on the same day, then she would spend weeks at a time loaded up with a 900 litre fire tank during smokey season....or dragging bogged tractors out of the dam.

Where do I find a pragmatic ev, preferably with manual windows , awd, and a 25 year life expectancy

Back