Electric Bike Primer Ideas...

How about a video on different types of protective gear and what you can do to be safer on the road? I used to only wear gloves and helmet but since I got my Brammo e-motorcycle, I have been more conscious about protecting myself in case of a spill. I have regular done 25-30 mph on my Polaris eBike and never really thought about how a crash would impact me. A 25-30 mph spill off a bike can bring on some serious hurt.

How about some other videos on testing eBike accessories like lights, helmets, etc

How about a video on different types of protective gear and what you can do to be safer on the road? I used to only wear gloves and helmet but since I got my Brammo e-motorcycle, I have been more conscious about protecting myself in case of a spill. I have regular done 25-30 mph on my Polaris eBike and never really thought about how a crash would impact me. A 25-30 mph spill off a bike can bring on some serious hurt.

How about some other videos on testing eBike accessories like lights, helmets, etc

So, by inference, you are using other protective equipment besides helmet and gloves. Do you? Maybe motorcycle rider gear?

So, by inference, you are using other protective equipment besides helmet and gloves. Do you? Maybe motorcycle rider gear?
Good question I am not exactly sure. I just don't want to blur the lines between ebikes, scooters and emotorcycles, though they crossover somewhat anyway

Just joined, this is my 1st post. Spent last night viewing Court's videos on folding electric bikes, thank you Court. I'm in need of your expertise for the purchase of (3) folding models. I have an unused 1/4 berth on my boat that could hold 3 for trips to the San Juan Islands in the PNW, so that I and friends can tour the different islands from the marina slip. So need quality in components that won't rust in a marine environment. I don't want to spend too much for 2 of them, as they are for my guest's use. I would like one of the 3 to fold to a very compact size for my plane. Any input would be appreciated.

On a different note, I built a rather nasty scooter about 10 years ago, used an Etek motor and 48 volt 400 amp Curtis controller.

Just joined, this is my 1st post. Spent last night viewing Court's videos on folding electric bikes, thank you Court. I'm in need of your expertise for the purchase of (3) folding models. I have an unused 1/4 berth on my boat that could hold 3 for trips to the San Juan Islands in the PNW, so that I and friends can tour the different islands from the marina slip. So need quality in components that won't rust in a marine environment. I don't want to spend too much for 2 of them, as they are for my guest's use. I would like one of the 3 to fold to a very compact size for my plane. Any input would be appreciated.

On a different note, I built a rather nasty scooter about 10 years ago, used an Etek motor and 48 volt 400 amp Curtis controller.

You seem to be a handy guy and I am assuming you are in the Seattle area? I have gotten several folders off the Seattle Craigs List for fisherman friends and it is a good source for in good shape and inexpensive folders. Get three of them and then fit them out with some online hub motor wheels, batteries and controllers and you should end up with what you seek. Otherwise the electric and folding bike store in Ballard is a good resource for new bikes and have been in business for a long time. http://seattle.craigslist.org

Last edited:
Thanks JRA, good idea for keeping the bill down on the 2 guest ebikes. I'm currently in California but have shipped out of Tacoma for SeaLand and always thought the area would be nice for retirement. I've biked San Juan Island and it was great and would like to share with friends that and biking the other islands.

That is a good deal on the Mariner, just needs batteries.

Hi guys! I'd like to shoot some "primer" videos for those who are new to electric bikes and am looking for input and suggestions on what the topics should be. The plan would be < 10 minute videos, focused and specific, some newbie stuff and some advanced with original footage and maybe some interviews.

A couple years back I shot this "What is an Electric Bike" video and more recently this "How to Ride a Bicycle" which seemed to really help people. The new primers will have better imagery and audio and I want them to really offer value... I wrote a basic intro to ebikes book a while back and made it free on Kindle. I might consider making it into a video series as well with chapters as topics.

Please share your thoughts on topics and what you think the content should be (like ideas on content for the topics or answers to common questions). Thank you!

How about a vid on trouble shooting. Problems with cadence sensors, stuck brake levers, battery connections. . .

Marty (The fixie guy)

Last edited:
How about a vid on trouble shooting. Problems with cadence sensors, stuck break levers, battery connections. . .
Great idea @Marty, I've called out a few fixes in reviews before (mostly while installing kits) but having a general "troubleshooting howto" or something could be very cool. Thank you for sharing this idea :)

For me a huge point would be whether the bike/kit offers ADJUSTABILITY via settings for controlling the power.
Tweaking those settings makes huge differences in how the bikes perform, yet many bikes don't offer any user adjustable parameters.
We all see a lot of "this bike is so and so more/better/faster than so and so" when often they haven't even a clue that the bike/s are tuneable.
And if one you are considering IS and one isn't, then it's a no brainer which one to recommend.

That's a BIG difference, and worth noting.

I'd love to see you test a bike with adjustability and play with the settings to show everyone how much difference they can make. My Stromer came set at 70 (scale 10-100) but I ride it at 30 and it's hugely more "bike-ish" and less moped. My Falco is the same way, huge amount of adjustment in how the (trike in this case) performs.

FWIW

Last edited:
Thanks Court,

An abridged version, for newbies who look at buying and asking questions from this perspective.

I think that my thoughts are along similar to those of Beatle.

Those of us who are "big picture" thinkers, vs the more linear, deductive, start by trying to integrate the info systemically. IE all parts meet the needs of MY objective:
Find a bike that meets all MY needs, rather than trying to learn about all the bikes, and the specs, and then try to figure out which meet my needs.

For me, I would have liked to define my needs 1st, and then find which bikes fit my objectives:

1. Size: I am 5' 4" It's scarey to slow down, or start, when I can't reach the ground :~○
2. Physical needs: suspension, upright, ability to use thumb vs twist, etc..
3. Use/terminology:
This was a biggy for me, and ultimately eliminated many ebikes. It's probably obvious to experienced, but not so for many newbies.
I want to pedal, and I want to pedal assist, with a throttle overdrive. (Hopefully I said that correctly!) I really wish that I could have eliminated those that are either/or. I don't need or want alot ow power/speed.
4. Accessories that one might need, to make the few ebikes left, work.

Sorry, looooong post.

Irene

Last edited:
Ok, I know what I was trying to say.
It is overwhelming to go through the ebikes and to try to take in all of the electrical details, etc, of so many ebikes.
I believe what I was asking for, was a way to begin with the most important characteristics/electric and style, of an ebike. (Following terminology)
Then refine the remaining 3 or 4, and end with a list of the ebikes which most closely match those needs.
Example:
1. Pedal assist, with throttle overdrive, or separate.
2. Cadence or torque pedal assist!
3.How will I use it:
Cruiser, city, etc.
At this point many if not most of the ebikes have been eliminated.
Thanks again, Irene :cool:
Thanks Court,
An abridged version, for newbies who look at buying and asking questions from this perspective.

I think that my thoughts are along similar to those of Beatle.

Those of us who are "big picture" thinkers, vs the more linear, deductive, start by trying to integrate the info systemically. IE all parts meet the needs of MY objective:
Find a bike that meets all MY needs, rather than trying to learn about all the bikes, and the specs, and then try to figure out which meet my needs.

For me, I would have liked to define my needs 1st, and then find which bikes fit my objectives:

1. Size: I am 5' 4" It's scarey to slow down, or start, when I can't reach the ground :~○
2. Physical needs: suspension, upright, ability to use thumb vs twist, etc..
3. Use/terminology:
This was a biggy for me, and ultimately eliminated many ebikes. It's probably obvious to experienced, but not so for many newbies.
I want to pedal, and I want to pedal assist, with a throttle overdrive. (Hopefully I said that correctly!) I really wish that I could have eliminated those that are either/or. I don't need or want alot ow power/speed.
4. Accessories that one might need, to make the few ebikes left, work.

Sorry, looooong post.

Irene

Hi guys! I'd like to shoot some "primer" videos for those who are new to electric bikes and am looking for input and suggestions on what the topics should be. The plan would be < 10 minute videos, focused and specific, some newbie stuff and some advanced with original footage and maybe some interviews.

A couple years back I shot this "What is an Electric Bike" video and more recently this "How to Ride a Bicycle" which seemed to really help people. The new primers will have better imagery and audio and I want them to really offer value... I wrote a basic intro to ebikes book a while back and made it free on Kindle. I might consider making it into a video series as well with chapters as topics.

Please share your thoughts on topics and what you think the content should be (like ideas on content for the topics or answers to common questions). Thank you!
olfolks have $$$, and interest, and VERY SPECIAL NEEDS... i have arthritis in right hand. i'm 70 so balance is not great. ebr never discusses old, over weight ppl on bikes. also i have a 29 in inseam , 6'3" tall= midget legs. PEDAGO addresses these problems the best, but i'll keep looking... we shy from dorky- lookin trykes... for what its worth = prob zip.

Daily, weekly, monthly maintenance. What to oil up, what not to oil up. I am not sure about a few things such as lubing the chain, sporckets, etc.

Daily, weekly, monthly maintenance. What to oil up, what not to oil up. I am not sure about a few things such as lubing the chain, sporckets, etc.

Your chain should always look slightly wet. When it looks dry, lube it. Wipe lightly with a towel to remove excess so it won't get thrown all over the bike when you ride the first time after. Dirt tends to stick to lube so you don't want it everywhere.

Always clean the chain prior to lubing it and there's no need to lube the chainrings and cogs, no moving parts there and you'll do more harm than good. There are all sorts of lubes, both dry and wet. It depends on where you ride and the type of weather you encounter as to what type of lube to use.

I like to clean and lube my chain every 100-200 miles. As needed with wet or dusty riding. At the same time I clean and lube the moving parts of the derailleurs and check for chain stretch. 15 minutes tops. Checkout this thread: http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/spring-maintenance-check-for-worn-chains.1474/

I swear by a chain scrubber:

Lubes:

All right! Thanks MLB and J.R. I getting smarter already. :) (Hey, I'm a J.R. also. )
I am now looking for a chain scrubber. And of course, some lube items .

I would love to see some range videos. It would be great to see some real world range tests... small,medium and large people on the same motor/battery combo. Part of the tests could be highlighting techniques to maximize range.

I would love to see some range videos. It would be great to see some real world range tests... small,medium and large people on the same motor/battery combo. Part of the tests could be highlighting techniques to maximize range.
I am new to bikes and posting as well. But I'm really needing a owners manual for Cemoto Folding Electric Mountain Bike and need advice and/or help. Thanks!

A weekly (or whatever time frame you can of course) introduction to one specific part and start at the top. Example: Seat, seat covers, seat suspension and everything else in-between. Then the next video could be handlebars. And just work your way down from there. Nothing is too simple to leave out because someone will have little knowledge of a topic.

Then every 12 months quickly go over anything if new items or technology has progressed.

Maintenance. Probably the one thing that nobody covers well, and with eBikes, forget it, I have yet to see a maintenance video, maybe a shop could help cover this and it would give them excellent publicity. From simply adjusting all the various types of brakes, a full service from lever to pistons, and everything in-between. Then of course do all the other areas of a bike that need TLC.

More bike rides too. I loved the NYC ride you did, not just because it was New York, but also because it helped give the view an idea of what to expect and what they might achieve too, range, power, assistance etc from a given bike.

Back