Electric Air Pumps 2024

Doggyman1202

"Put it back where it belongs". I heard that umpteen times as a kid and repeated it countless times to my own kids. Last week I forgot to heed my own advice and absent-mindedly left my trusty "Cycplus" brand portable electric air pump on an empty bike rack tray before hitting the highway. Doh!!

In any case, I found this little device very handy to have the past couple of years, particularly on group rides when someone had a flat or slow leak. I intended to replace it with a duplicate from Amazon, but I was amazed to find a gzillion alternatives now. I suspect they all come from the same Asian factories with brand names that are amalgams of Chinglish syllables. I can't remember if Frabbit or NoodleJoy are words I read on a Chinese Take-Out menu or Amazon electronics.

The Cycplus had a few quirks that bugged me (small function buttons that were hard to distinguish from one another and tiny screen icons) so I purchased a "LiltsDRae", another WTF sounding brand name. I only used it once to top off both bike tires, but 5 stars so far. I went back to buy one as a gift for a friend (she is always borrowing mine) and discovered that the same exact unit was also available under the "Amorno" brand for $10 less ($29.95) than I paid. Further research on Amazon revealed similar looking units for under $20.

There are also similar looking devices listed for $80 or more, such as this Airmoto, which at least has a brand name that remotely sounds like the task it performs:

What's the difference between the $20 units and the $80+ devices? I'm really not sure. I assume the pricier units have a higher capacity lithium battery. Is the construction more robust? Are they much faster? Quieter? My only quibble so far with the "LiltsDRae" I purchased is that the Shraeder hose is screw on, as opposed to the clamp/lock style I'm used to. (I purchased an adapter but have not tried it yet).

Please feel free to chime in with suggestions or thoughts about these gadgets. Admittedly, I do not know much beyond what I wrote above.

Last edited:
I have several Ryobi products including a drill, saw, etc....and they also make a Ryobi handheld air compressor. It is a trigger gun style unit and it costs about $20.... Or at least it was a few years ago when I purchased it. Obviously I already have the batteries. I use this for both presta and Schrader valves and simply keep it in my garage. It's cheap and it works fantastic. It also has a digital display. Although it takes longer, it will also manage inflating my car tires as well. It is very fast for bike tires.

Last edited:
I got this Fumpa pump. It ain't cheap, but is very compact and has been flawless...

DaveMatthews sells out ARENAS and can afford a Fumpa pump lol.
For me....I can't sell out a a dog groomer's lobby....so Ryobi for me!
Lol
Doggyman....if you want to fill your tires with expensive air.....go for it.

Both look like they mean business, and the Ryobi at $20 certainly looks like a versatile bargain. The Fumpa does look like it has added value though compared to the Amazon cheapies.

Both look like they mean business, and the Ryobi at $20 certainly looks like a versatile bargain. The Fumpa does look like it has added value though compared to the Amazon cheapies.
Fumpa...Does it though? I mean it looks techy and cool.....but it is a metal box that I have to hold up in/around my spokes? I'd certainly want a hose extension for that one.

Fumpa...Does it though? I mean it looks techy and cool.....but it is a metal box that I have to hold up in/around my spokes? I'd certainly want a hose extension for that one.
It's pretty quick, so I haven't experienced any weight issues, but yeah, you can get an extension for it.

It's pretty quick, so I haven't experienced any weight issues, but yeah, you can get an extension for it.
Not the most ergonomic shape/form factor for a bike pump imo. Cool yes....and I like techy things....but for air? I don't get it.

I have several Ryobi products including a drill, saw, etc....and they also make a Ryobi handheld air compressor. It is a trigger gun style unit and it costs about $20.... Or at least it was a few years ago when I purchased it. Obviously I already have the batteries. I use this for both presta and Schrader valves and simply keep it in my garage. It's cheap and it works fantastic. It also has a digital display. Although it takes longer, it will also manage inflating my car tires as well.

I can vouch for the Ryobi. Keeping it right next to the bike in the garage leaves me out of excuses on tire pressure.

Would definitely have it in the car on car-supported rides. But with a medium Ryobi battery, it's too bulky and heavy for me to carry on the bike.

I can vouch for the Ryobi. Keeping it right next to the bike in the garage leaves me out of excuses on tire pressure.

Would definitely have it in the car on car-supported rides. But with a medium Ryobi battery, it's too bulky and heavy for me to carry on the bike.
ya it definitely isn't something that you'd want to carry with you on a ride....but I'd assumed that we weren't talking about a portable 'go with you' type of pump here.

ya it definitely isn't something that you'd want to carry with you on a ride....but I'd assumed that we weren't talking about a portable 'go with you' type of pump here.
The Fumpa goes with me every ride, along with spare tubeless sealant and some tools.

It can be useful to think in terms of the big-three resistances — air, slope, and rolling — and the crossover speed at which air resistance becomes 50% of the total resistance holding you back.

Remember, a resistance is a net force acting directly against your forward motion at a given ground speed. The associated power loss is the rate of energy expenditure required to overcome the resistance at that ground speed. Physically, these quantities mean very different things. But lucky for us,

The crossover speeds for total restance and total power loss are the same.

More background and graphs showing how this all plays out for a typical commuter in 4 common riding scenarios:

The Fumpa goes with me every ride, along with spare tubeless sealant and some tools.
That reminds me...Which quick repair sealant or solution is recommended? Slime? Not necessarily as a permanent repair but something that will get you home or just back to civilization as the case might be.
I know if I say it hasn't been an issue recently, I'll have a flat tomorrow...so I won't say it.

That reminds me...Which quick repair sealant or solution is recommended? Slime? Not necessarily as a permanent repair but something that will get you home or just back to civilization as the case might be.
I know if I say it hasn't been an issue recently, I'll have a flat tomorrow...so I won't say it.
Since going tubeless I've been extremely lucky, no flats.
I run regular Stan's and carry a Stan's Dart system, spare sealant, and some bacon strips.

I also have a Fumpa pump, but I haven't had to use it in the six months I've owned it, which I guess can be considered a good thing.
In the past I always carried a couple of C02 containers, but if you run tubeless with sealant you're going to have to take the tire off and peel off the congealed sealant.

I carry little bottles of Stans with me. I've rescued strangers as well as myself when I didn't top up soon enough. I have 2 on me at all times on the ebike (along with hopefully topped-up Stans in the tires). Also use Orange Seal from time to time - both great sealants.

As far as pumps, the Milwaukee M12 gets used before every ride to top up to a specific pressure

Use a Makita MAC100Q in the bike shop - perfect for seating tubeless or wherever compressed air is needed. It's really quiet, low power consumption, and compact enough to travel with you.

Carry a Lezyne Grip Drive HV on the bike. Have made 7 or 8 rescues with this one. It's a workout, but works

Would like to find a good compact electric to carry on the bike with me.

I carry little bottles of Stans with me. I've rescued strangers as well as myself when I didn't top up soon enough. I have 2 on me at all times on the ebike (along with hopefully topped-up Stans in the tires). Also use Orange Seal from time to time - both great sealants.

As far as pumps, the Milwaukee M12 gets used before every ride to top up to a specific pressure

Use a Makita MAC100Q in the bike shop - perfect for seating tubeless or wherever compressed air is needed. It's really quiet, low power consumption, and compact enough to travel with you.

Carry a Lezyne Grip Drive HV on the bike. Have made 7 or 8 rescues with this one. It's a workout, but works

Would like to find a good compact electric to carry on the bike with me.
I almost got the mini Fumpa. There are 3 sizes...

I almost got the mini Fumpa. There are 3 sizes...

Kinda wanna add the middle child Fumpa to the ebike kit. I carry a Milwaukee M12 power source and 3Ah battery & cables as standard kit. Could run one of those for days.

Back