Ecotric folding fat bike

Cal000

This is my 20in folding fat tire bike
This bike is great
I made a few changes and currently getting about 24mph looking for more torque and speed which I will address in future stages

STAGE 1 upgrades completed so far
-Controller
20amp
-Display
lcd8h
-Thumb throttle
-Battery
Picked up a 48v 15ah from a guy that wrecked his bike for $175
-Handle bars https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AO9OLW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_yd7.Db8HBW5MV
-rear view mirrors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AVHQB22/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Rk7.Db3099T3E
-Pedals
-Handlebar grips
-seat https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QHTZHXD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_bc7.Db115S2SC

Remaining
-Horn
-light

STAGE 2
1-front fork
2-hydrolic brakes
3-180mm disk for brakes
4-motor

STAGE 3
1-baterry
I should be able to fit 10 of these in the battery area and that would give me 36v 40ah will also need a new controller want a 30 to 35amp but will probably hard to find one that will fit
2-tires ?
Considering road tires
3-suspension seat post https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07113WT58/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3q7.DbQC4BFTR

Attachments

• 20191222_110131.jpg
    20191222_110131.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 976
Hi and welcome to the EBR forum! Thanks for sharing your bike with us. I look forward to seeing what you end up with. Enjoy!

I just saw that. Good price on the Air fork.

Are you an old hand with experience with those pouch packs? I'm not and they scare me.

Did you get a 20" x 4 front fork? The photo shows 26". Please post your thoughts once installed. I am upgrading my 26" Ecotric fattie and if the difference in ride is more than just slight I will do forks on my wife's Ecotric folder/fattie. It's the step thru (new) version of yours. Thanks for posting , love seeing what others come up with to better their purchase. That's the beauty of these sub-$1k eBikes. Great modding platforms for those that know how, great learning experience for those of us who don't.

Gypsytreker here is a link to 1 listed as 20x4
theres not a big difference between the 2 only about 10mm
Hopefully I'll be ordering the 20x4 this week. I'm just waiting for a responce from the seller in the last pic of the listing it shows a white and silver fork all of the other pics show white black so once the seller confirms the color and whether the decals are stickers not paint I'm buying I watching the prices of the forks and this is the lowest I've seen.

Gypsytreker here is a link to 1 listed as 20x4
theres not a big difference between the 2 only about 10mm
Hopefully I'll be ordering the 20x4 this week. I'm just waiting for a responce from the seller in the last pic of the listing it shows a white and silver fork all of the other pics show white black so once the seller confirms the color and whether the decals are stickers not paint I'm buying I watching the prices of the forks and this is the lowest I've seen.

This is an air/spring lock out, correct? I ended up paying $148 for mine because the 26" x 4's under $100 were string only, min travel. I'm waiting for a Fat Pig headset so I can install the forks. The ones I got actually state that the decals are removable. Anyway I will be watching your progress if you don't mind :)

Ugly stickers. Good that they come off.

It's good to go with a completely new headset so you know everything fits, but if the crown race on the old fork pops off and fits the new fork, you will have all the same bearings again. The race on my old Ecotric fork came loose with a little nudge. I did buy an FSA pig, about 10 dollars, I used the star nut.

This avoids having to knock the old bearing cups out of the frame, and then having to press in the new cups. It's a good learning experience, but you'll wind up needing to make a bearing press for the cups. In this case 5/8" threaded rod from Home Depot on an old Schwinn.

Last edited:
I'm totally ok using the old bearings that are actually only 162 miles old. I have a star nut tool and some extras. I bought the pig because it was cheap and I will now have them if all the sudden I aquire a clicky front end. The decals are really, really ugly but removable, thank God! :)

Gypsytreker I definitely agree with yo about the sub 1000 ebike leaving money left over for upgrades I thought the same thing was I bought mines. I figured I could save even more by buying used (I paid $500) and it would not matter because I would be changing everything on the bike anyway.
Along with the fork will also be changing out the brakes I found these
They are hybrid hydraulic brakes that would allow me to reuse the existing brake they are rebranded and sold as juin tech r1s the reviews are pretty good they say better than stock but not as good as full hydraulic. I am also upgrading my rotors to 203mm.
Im very much still in the learning phase. Harry has been a great source of info as he has done alot of the same upgrades to his bike
already its great to have a community to lean on for guidance and advise.

Harry I would be really interested to hear what you think about my plans for making a custom battery.
Also I think I read one of your post about changing the fork where you used a screw driver to work the crown of the fork was it difficult?
Second also
I'm also considering the passak fork you have and wanted to know if those stickers are removable. The sellers that have white/blue are charging more but I would go with another color if the decals are stickers and not painted on.

Just a little tap on the screw driver separated the crown.

I stay away from RC Lipo batteries in the bags. Too risky. I want this to be a fun hobby, not something that scares me.

Thanks Harry
I didnt know lipo's were a fire risk and I wouldnt want to take that chance. I've got time before i replace the battery hoping to get at least a year hopefully 2 before its time to replace it, it's only a few monthes old and has less than 200 miles on it. I'll just save up and try to find a reliable vendor or who knows maybe tesla will start selling thier cells to the public(even tho would hold ny breathe for that)

Back