EBR Redesign: Requests, Ideas and Input

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, I'm in the process of redesigning EBR and welcome input and requests. If anyone is a graphics designer, feel free to add to the mockups!

It's an exciting challenge to create a fully responsive design that can be monetized authentically and deliver information in an efficient intuitive way. I like the existing EBR but feel it's a bit too skinny now that we're seeing 4K and with VR right around the corner, I want to create something a bit nicer at high resolution. Maybe even do future reviews with 360 degree 3D cameras like this. Don't worry, it will still be fully mobile compatible, possibly "mobile first" for improved load time.

Here's a basic mockup I've been working on (the first image is without hover and the second is with hover examples). Other things I'd like to add are a brand overview + logo at the top of category pages (maybe with an averaged rating for the brand based on reviews?), a map with dealer locations that zooms in based on user location, a full reporting suite for advertisers and shops and integration between these forums and the site. I may also re-theme the forums to match this layout so the transition is more seamless.

ebr-mock.jpg ebr-mock-hover.jpg

Sites that I like and frequent for design inspiration include:

@eDean in the top right corner (when you're viewing one of the images in the lightbox) there is a linked icon that says "open in new window" when you hover it. This opens the original image and allows you to click to zoom in for more detail. These mockups are 1:1 scale for the final site.

The modest website work I have done was using WordPress with Virtue Premium theme.

Sounds like you're building your own, what tools are you using?

Court, I looked at all the links you posted above. I think Edmund's is the best model but I can see you taking inspiration from elements from all of them.

You are saying mobile first, and I think that's very wise to be planning for the future (the present), as more and more people access the internet by mobile.

More to follow....

Of the above links, my favorite in layout is the WSJ, because of its balanced and clear looks. To find reviews, maybe you could put a bike model selector similar to the one on Edmunds main page in the top section like now there is in the WSJ main page is for quotes (Stoxx, Nikkei etc). Check out one of my favorites: http://www.dpreview.com/. I like their newsfeed looks. Perhaps their Have your say -idea could be used for ebikes as well (What qualities are the most important to you: Range, speed, looks, etc.).

Nice sites, above

Hi Court,

I tried to search to see if this has already been covered, but didn't find any.

In the Guide section> tools> parts, and for whom they would be good, and different types. (Arthritis, commuter, etc.) might be a good review. I have been searching online, to find reviews, etc.. I need to upgrade some parts, on my new Evo Street:
Grips, shifters, seats, seat suspension, gear shifters...

Thanks
Irene

Back