Eagerly awaiting my R&M Supercharger GX Rohloff HS

DanRichman

Hi from Seattle! I'm eager to learn as much as possible about ebikes generally and, more specifically, about Riese & Muller, the bike I'm awaiting, and its components. I'd welcome hearing from anyone with experience or informed opinions. My bike is due for delivery in early August, and I'm counting the days.

Hopefully your bike will arrive in a timely fashion.

They make extremely nice bikes. I've got a Charger GX Rohloff with dual batteries myself.

Hello and Welcome

I really like the dual battery option on the Supercharger. And the blue color scheme is pretty awesome also.

Wishing you better luck than mine. Be vigilant, stay on top of things. The squeaky wheel may get the R&M grease?

I've spent far more hours waiting for my Nevo than actually riding it. The Joy:Frustration ratio has not been compelling. Waiting for ship dates, quoted once, then delayed by many additional weeks. Waiting for assembly - dealer dropped ball on that. Waiting for Nuvinci cable repair (ignore the marketing hype: you really can't fully shift Nuvinci/enviolo either under load or without pedaling lightly.)

Even now I'm waiting again for R&M's reply to my dealer's support query made last week, regarding ratcheting/grinding noise emanating from the drive train when under load. Complete radio silence from both R&M and Bosch: No response. Perhaps everyone is off to Eurobike? It's pretty clear that my dealer is out of their technical depth without R&M or component manufacturers directing them. But in all fairness, just imagine your car dealership without support from the auto manufacturer!

Nothing is fast with R&M. First there's the timezone offset even engaging them with questions. Answers are days later, if lucky. There are no US-based warehouses for R&M bikes, parts or supplies - everything ships from Germany. Like most R&M models, the Nevo is a gorgeous frame - it glides gloriously over even the roughest roads. And the Nyon system is simply astounding - the single best aspect of Bosch! But if you really want to ride, you really want your bike to be available, best to buy at least two R&M bikes: one for the road, and one for the shop, swapping between them.

Maybe I received a lemon? Maybe my expectations of a $5k bike and its support network are too high? Maybe. But had I known in March 2018, what I know now in July, I'm quite sure I'd have made different choices.

Last edited:
@mysteryna ,

One constructive suggestion might be to find another R&M dealer in your area and take the bike there.

Failing that, start calling around to local bike shops and see if you can find one certified to work on Bosch drive systems (there seem to be quite a few bike shops that have that certification and the diagnostic equipment). At this point if I were you I'd be willing to eat some money and get the damned bike fixed rather than wait for warranty service. But I am not a very patient person.

Out of curiosity, you say that the drive train is making a ratcheting/grinding noise under load. Is that noise emanating from the motor or from the Nuvinci hub?

thanks @Mr. Coffee for those suggestions. I have found another dealer in whom I have greater technical confidence for my upcoming eMTB purchase. Unfortunately, they don't offer R&M products. But as you pointed out, it's the drive train, and not the frame itself causing problems. The combination of Bosch, Gates, and Nuvinci/Enviolo is a technical troika well understood beyond R&M dealers. I may well look elsewhere if I can't resolve issues with my current dealer by end of week. Enviolo replied to my support emails this afternoon citing that, after listening to the videos, they do believe the noise could be from the N380 drive. You can analyze the noise yourself by following the "ratcheting/grinding noise" link above. Enviolo are organizing a replacement hub be shipped to my local dealer. Of course, that hub will then need to be laced into a working wheel. tick tock... I'm really glad I didn't already dump my old iZip!

Hang in there. I have a Nevo Nuvnici GH with over a thousand miles since early April. Aside from a big nail causing a flat tire, it has been a rock. Get past this warranty issue with one of the components and you should end up with a thoroughly satisfying bicycle.

Thanks @Alaskan for that kind encouragement. I really do like R&M frames and am hopeful this Nevo's kinks can be resolved soon. I'm glad to hear of your Nevo miles! And all tracked with your Nyon, I'm sure! I can no longer imagine Bosch without its Nyon system and eBike-Connect. I've found nothing else like it. Even the new Kiox display seems to fall short. My Nevo cockpit centers both my phone and Nyon. When either is absent, I feel devoid of instrumentation! ;-)

Sorry @DanRichman for sidetracking your thread. Your new SuperCharger is absolutely stunning! Which color did you decide upon? I really like the Gates/Rohloff pairing and wish that were available for Nevo. I'll be curious to hear of your experiences with a belt-drive versus chain-drive Rohloff.

I have the Gen1 (center groove-less) Gates belt paired with Shimano Nexus3 on my aging Giant pedal bike. It's so long been discontinued I don't know that the belt can ever be replaced. But that doesn't seem to be a problem - it keeps going and going! Depending on others' feedback, I may explore potential for swapping Rohloff for Nuvinci on my Nevo.

Attachments

• IMG_20180616_112449.jpg
    IMG_20180616_112449.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 517
  • 20141002_210839.jpg
    20141002_210839.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 445
  • 20141002_210852.jpg
    20141002_210852.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 438
  • 20141002_210905.jpg
    20141002_210905.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 468
Hi, Mysteryna et al. --

Sorry for all the troubles you've had. I hope you'll keep this forum posted so we can all learn from your experience.

I of course chose the electric blue! Stunning, as you say.

I haven't ridden the Rohloff hub but can't imagine the brief pause between gears could be so different from that required with a conventional gearshift. Or am I wrong?

I have not located anywhere detailed pix (brake rotors, handlebar layout, etc.) of this bike -- i.e., the 2018 R&M Supercharger GX Rohloff HS, US edition (and not the EU edition nor the non-HS version). If anyone has any, I'd very much appreciate seeing as many of them as possible.

I plan to ride my a** off on this bike -- across the state or down the coast this season, if legs and butt allow. I am so psyched that it will let me take the cycling trips I've always dreamed of but until now never had the muscle to do (even 10 years ago).

For now, at least I can gaze at the photos in lieu of the bike . . . (sniff) :)

Back