E3 Dash problems-

Brian(J)

After 2,500 trouble-free miles my E3 has developed a major problem. On a very regular basis without any pattern I can figure out the power just cuts out. Sometimes the screen goes dark, sometimes not. Often the battery sate-of-charge lights goes out as well. A complete re-boot will almost always solve the problem but often for only a second or less, you don't get far. Other times you get 15 blocks, but usually 2 or 3. Bike isn't usable at this moment. Sometimes just before failing there is a vibration/grinding/resistance thing that happens. Because the battery lights go out I'm assuming the problem is in the battery case, there are some electronics in with the battery.

Suggestions?

@Brian(J) there are several possibilities for the failure you describe, one would be some bad cells within the battery pack causing the overall power level to be too low to properly operate the bike. Have you tried running the onboard diagnostics when the system is up? To do that, follow Currie Tech's instructions from their site, write down the data as you proceed. BTW, you don't mention what year model of Dash you have, so select the diagnostics for your year model. This will give the status of all the major systems of the bike. Conversely take the bike to your dealer for help or call Currie Tech's customer service line, select Tech support. Both Chawn & Monty are very experienced with the technical side of the E3 Dash.

After 2,500 trouble-free miles my E3 has developed a major problem. On a very regular basis without any pattern I can figure out the power just cuts out. Sometimes the screen goes dark, sometimes not. Often the battery sate-of-charge lights goes out as well. A complete re-boot will almost always solve the problem but often for only a second or less, you don't get far. Other times you get 15 blocks, but usually 2 or 3. Bike isn't usable at this moment. Sometimes just before failing there is a vibration/grinding/resistance thing that happens. Because the battery lights go out I'm assuming the problem is in the battery case, there are some electronics in with the battery.

Suggestions?

I've heard of people having their 2014 or 2015 Dash shut down on steep hills or when the battery is nearly empty. Usually they can turn the bike on again if they wait a few minutes for the hub motor to dissipate some heat. I've had it happen one time on my 2015 Dash when my battery was nearly empty. I turned the bike on again and limped it home in the lowest pedal assist mode, and the issue never happened again. At the time, I was concerned that there was a faulty component, but it turns out that the battery was just almost out of charge, and voltage sag from running the motor ended up making the controller think that the battery was dead even though it still had a mile or two before it hit the battery's low voltage cutoff.

You should probably take the bike in to the local IZIP dealer for service. Good luck!

Thanks for the input. I found time to dig into the bike and it appears to be an intermitant connection in a connector block located behind a rubber plug just below the battery, at the bottom of the frame. It's a male to female molex connector that is loose in the connector body and it gets shoved back instead of making a proper connection. That's my theory today anyway. I'll keep you posted,

Brian

Resolved- The controller failed in some way and had to be replaced, and it is part of the motor core, so the whole shebang is now new. It was out of warranty and a $500 part, but I sent an email to Larry and Chawn and asked them to give me an exception to the warranty, or some sort of accommodation. They sent me the motor for free, so I am out of pocket $56. Another incredible customer service experience with Curry. They really know how to treat their customers.

Back