E joe anggun questions

Inês

Hello everybody,

I am just looking to buy a good value for money e bike, to commute (10 km each way). I live in calgary, and due to the weather conditions I'll just be cycling the summer months. My wish list is simple: pedelec, not too heavy, cruiser style or city, ~2000$.

Now, my question to you: does anybody have experience with the anggun from e joe? I have a very steep hill on my way and don't want to be disappointed, the rest is mostly moderate climb. I read the reviews and it all sounds good, and I just found it online for 1200$ on http://www.shopebike.com! But (now my next question :)) it says 'refurbished'! Does anybody know what that means?

Thx Inês

Hello Inês! Great questions... While I've never bought from the shopebike.com website you shared it looked pretty nice and the prices were good. I'm only guessing here (based on what I know about other refurbished items) but I think that probably means the bike was a demo unit that doesn't look "brand new" or was one that got returned and then repaired. Companies can't sell these units as new because they have some wear, maybe dirty tires or maybe some parts from older versions. Ebike companies are always making improvements and refining stuff as new shipments come in and the older models may not look the same so selling them as refurbished is another way to move old inventory.

Okay, so with that said! I do like the Anggun, it's got the features you said you wanted and it's pretty affordable. E-Joe has a friendly management team (I'm in touch with them often) and I feel like they do a good job. The Anggun is what I would call a value ebike, it's not the fanciest or lightest or fastest... but it's got some great features like the fenders, chain guard, rack and balanced battery position. If you do get it, be sure to share your thoughts and maybe some pictures here! I'd love to know what you find out about "refurbished ebikes" and how this website works... You might want to reach out to the website to ask more about what these refurbished bikes are like before buying as well.

Cheers,
Court

Well I still do not have an Ebike, finally I was told that the Anggun could not be shipped to Canada. But I did want to let you know what 'refurbished' means. This is the reply I got:
Our refurbished 2013 are mostly clearance, they are new but older model. Some were returned products from dealer due to scratch on the paint, etc. We fixed them using a touch up paint. These bikes we can't sell as new anymore. So to make it easier, we just put all as one category, refurbished. They carry same warranty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much for sharing the response Inês, sorry to hear they can't ship to Canada... this is news to me. Are you considering any other bikes? I know Canada has a few unique bikes of their own. You could also try to work with a bike shop in the US that might be able to ship to Canada or just drive down for a short road trip (depending on where you live) and then haul your bike across the border... I think that's acceptable to the law correct?

I briefly looked at Canadian ebikes, but I have the feeling that the market here is not as mature as in the US. Ultimately I did to find anything that I really liked. Yes, I thought about getting the bike at the US border. Many people do that. But given the time commitment and expense associated with it, I decided against that. Now I bought the izip E3 Metro. Cost wise it is in the same ballpark as the Anggun.

Had I been able to purchase the Anggun for 500$ below list price (refurbished version), I would not have hesitated. I think the bike has great specs and is an excellent entry bike - all included. At price parity though I think the Metro is the better bike for me.

I briefly looked at Canadian ebikes, but I have the feeling that the market here is not as mature as in the US. Ultimately I did to find anything that I really liked. Yes, I thought about getting the bike at the US border. Many people do that. But given the time commitment and expense associated with it, I decided against that. Now I bought the izip E3 Metro. Cost wise it is in the same ballpark as the Anggun.

Had I been able to purchase the Anggun for 500$ below list price (refurbished version), I would not have hesitated. I think the bike has great specs and is an excellent entry bike - all included. At price parity though I think the Metro is the better bike for me.
Good for you Inês! I'm excited to hear how it works for you. The bike felt sturdy and strong during my test rides. I liked both the old and newer version and Currie offers good support (I'd assume they also support Canada?)

For others that may be curious I recently bought an Anggun from shopebike.com. They had told me the same thing about the bikes, that they would be last years model but likely new. While their website as far as information about the order leaves a lot to be desired the contact person I was emailing was extremely helpful often replying within an hour to my Emails, so I knew the status at all times. Bike arrived in a timely fashion. I did have a number of issues with it: a few scratches in the paint, speedometer didn't work, chain guard cracked, front light didn't work, and after the first ride front brake was failing. Working with my contact gave me a feeling that he would help until I was happy. I moved the sensor for the speedometer a few times and got it to work. They sent me a new chain guard and light. For the brake they said to take into a local bike shop that they would cover, just needed proper adjustment. Since I saved $600 on ordering last years bike I'll live with the scratched paint.

Bottom line I would not hesitate to order a bike from these guys. The level of support I received was outstanding taking the risk out of a purchase like this sight unseen. As to the bike, being able to try out an ebike with a nice set of features that rides very nice for only $1300 is a great value.

Bottom line I would not hesitate to order a bike from these guys. The level of support I received was outstanding taking the risk out of a purchase like this sight unseen. As to the bike, being able to try out an ebike with a nice set of features that rides very nice for only $1300 is a great value.
Good to know, thanks for the testimonial DAG. Ordering something expensive and complicated like an ebike over the Internet can always feel a bit iffy. Glad http://shopebike.com/ worked well for you.

Back