E-Horn?

Mtl_Biker

The dinky little bell on my e-bike is awful. Just not loud enough.

On my motorcycles I’ve always installed air horns and they make a world of difference.

Have any of you found a good electronic horn you’re happy with? I certainly don’t want to scare the pants off someone walking on the bike path but I do want them to hear my warning. Maybe there’s a louder bell?

People seem happy with AirZound horns. I purchased an Orp Horn, I don't recommend it. It just didn't live up to commuting needs.

Or there's this air horn:eek:

But it looks huge!

Even this one is really large... like a light https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00WQOHDJ4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_Z.dBDbE25RPN0

As I said, I don’t want to scare someone to death with this. Even this might be much better than the bell I’ve got now... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B077X9L4G4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_AdeBDbEBYFGNZ

Last edited:
Checkout juiced bikes, horn / bike alarm for $49 I just purchased, once I receive it I will post how it is, so far the reviews look promising.

Checkout juiced bikes, horn / bike alarm for $49 I just purchased, once I receive it I will post how it is, so far the reviews look promising.
Thanks for the pointer to that horn, but it's too expensive and would take too long to get. I'm in Canada and by the time I factor in exchange rate and shipping, I'd be looking at over $75 cdn. I just ordered the second one (I linked to above) for $18 shipping included. I'll post what I think of it after I receive it.

The type of audible warning device you choose should depend on where you ride. If you're a commuter, a loud horn like the Air Zound would be a good choice. For trail / path use, such a horn will only frighten people and degrade the already fragile ebike image.

Admittedly, for trail use, a bell is woefully inadequate for the job. I gave mine up years ago. There are several electric mid volume level horns on the market suitable for the job. IMO, why complicate things with wiring or batteries. I use this cheap simple bulb type air horn that's been around for decades:

Yes, it looks and sounds like something on a clown car. I cover mine with a black vinyl cap when not in use. It's pleasant two tone "honk" can easily be heard 100 feet away and invokes smiles rather than frowns on the folks I pass.

The type of audible warning device you choose should depend on where you ride. If you're a commuter, a loud horn like the Air Zound would be a good choice. For trail / path use, such a horn will only frighten people and degrade the already fragile ebike image.

Admittedly, for trail use, a bell is woefully inadequate for the job. I gave mine up years ago. There are several electric mid volume level horns on the market suitable for the job. IMO, why complicate things with wiring or batteries. I use this cheap simple bulb type air horn that's been around for decades:

View attachment 37613

Yes, it looks and sounds like something on a clown car. I cover mine with a black vinyl cap when not in use. It's pleasant two tone "honk" can easily be heard 100 feet away and invokes smiles rather than frowns on the folks I pass.
That's funny! I can see how it invokes smiles.

But it looks huge!
I tried the electronic horns and they are weak by comparison. I added a longer airline and hid the air bottle. There's no missing the sound of this horn. Actually, I very seldom use it, but when needed, heads turn immediately.

I tried the electronic horns and they are weak by comparison. I added a longer airline and hid the air bottle. There's no missing the sound of this horn. Actually, I very seldom use it, but when needed, heads turn immediately.
I'm very sure the electronic horns are weak by comparison. No doubt. But the electronic horns is surely louder than the stock bell on my bike. And for the price I'm going to try that first. And if it's really not enough, then I'll consider something like what you suggest.

The stock horns on my motorcycles have always been way too quiet. Sort of like an "Excuse me please... watch out for me." I've always installed Stebel air horns so that the bikes now SHOUT "WATCH OUT!!!!" Sounds like a truck.

But I'm really not sure I need that on my bicycle.

But I'm really not sure I need that on my bicycle.
I had a 12V 113dB air horn on my Vespa. On bikes 99.99% of the time my bell is enough. BUT there are those 2 or 3 times a season when an extremely loud horn has saved the day. Or at least mitigated the end result. Need? Maybe not, but it sure has helped to survive in traffic.

Last edited:
I got my new horn (from amazon.ca) this morning and WOW, I'm super pleased with it! It is LOUD!!! It even scared me when I tried it the first time. More than loud enough for me. And only $18 Canadian.

I've got it mounted on my handlebars (it's the round thing on the bottom between the RideControl EVO and my second headlight) and there is a separate button which I've mounted just on the left edge of the EVO. My only nit (so far) is that the silicone strap isn't long enough for me to attach the button on the edge of my grip, so I had to sort of wedge it between the handlebar and the back of the EVO and even then it was a uh, stretch, to get it attached.

i-KCSzW89-X4.jpg

Did I mention that it's LOUD? And there are four different tones to choose from. I like that the horn button is so close to my thumb which makes it very easy to reach.

(It's the second link I gave up in message #5 in this thread.)

$14 Amazon prime but the reviews pushed me away. I’d love an electronic version of the Airzound horn. Replaceable batteries are important to me. I’ve had to many cool little China tech devices with short lived batteries. Thanks for sharing!

I used a Stebel Air Horn on my Vespa GTS. loved it but adding a step down converter for 12v just adds complexity. I guess I’ll try another 48v horn or two. Pretty cheap from Aliexpress stores.

$14 Amazon prime but the reviews pushed me away. I’d love an electronic version of the Airzound horn. Replaceable batteries are important to me. I’ve had to many cool little China tech devices with short lived batteries. Thanks for sharing!
The batteries on this unit are not replaceable. It charges via USB. I don't know what the life of it will be, but for the price I feel I really can't go wrong. And I love the sound and the horn button by my thumb. Much easier to reach than the bell was.

I used a Stebel Air Horn on my Vespa GTS. loved it but adding a step down converter for 12v just adds complexity. I guess I’ll try another 48v horn or two. Pretty cheap from Aliexpress stores.
The reviews weren't bad at all. I do think I screwed up the link I posted earlier. I'll try again...

Horn

Trying this one today. Forgot I had it. I think it was even less on Aliexpress. My new build MAC has a horn button on the cruise control switch.

Attachments

• E7B13C18-16EE-41BF-8851-DAB5B6C0A2C4.png
    E7B13C18-16EE-41BF-8851-DAB5B6C0A2C4.png
    503 KB · Views: 758
The reviews weren't bad at all. I do think I screwed up the link I posted earlier. I'll try again...

Horn
One in 4 negative on one page. Yes cheap enough, but as a Banggood and Aliexpress gadget addict my spending adds up...

Back