E-Bikes in Japan - just a little article

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

E-Bikes have been utilized in Japan for over 25 years. Not a lot of Americans who know about ebikes, realize this. Yamaha of course has been a big player there. Interesting to note as mentioned in the article, Japan as a country, has crossed the 500,000 annual unit ebike sales mark in recent years, which apparently represents about 10% of all unit sales for bikes sold there.

The US has a LONG way to go, for ebikes to reach 10% of its unit sales of all bikes. It won't likely happen very fast, since Americans love their cars, pretty much shun public transportation except for a few large cities, has relatively poor biking infrastructure compared to other countries, however ebikes might be the catalyst here to help change that. So in this case, slow and steady wins the race, and its more likely to be a marathon. Hence, the huge number of ebike firms introducing product, aren't likely to last. Many are not making good business decisions, often rushing junky things to market, or doing really dumb things on pricing vs value delivered. Too many gimmicks as well, which could come back to haunt them, if they lose their own consumers, or turn people off ebikes. (the stupid e-scooter sharing onslaught is one of many unintelligent examples)

(By the way, Yamaha is in this for the long run here in the US. But they've 'been there, done that' in Japan for many years, and being in the ebike market for far longer than even many EU ebike firms. I expect a lot of US firms will find themselves eventually playing catch up to them, despite their delayed introduction to the US last year.)

Anyway, its a brief article, but intended to expand awareness of what is going on in the world of e-bikes outside of the US. This is really NOT a new market - but with newer emerging battery technology now helping it along a little faster than it was before lithium batteries reached a good price point - I have been following it since the late 1990's. Like the culture in Japan, I've taken my time studying it, observing, learning patiently before putting my now additional time and money into it.

Sometimes little articles like these can be great to learn from, without saying a lot.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...years-yamaha-motors-first-model/#.XGmOKaJKg-0

I'd love to see them sell more of the utility type ebikes here that they sell in Japan. Here their models are focused on road, fitness, and mountain bikes. They aren't selling any step-through models with an upright riding position, whereas in Japan they have tons of such models.

I hope they can see that ebikes here have a strong potential beyond those groups. If Yamaha models were available that were oriented to people who want to do grocery shopping, schlep kids around, and get on and off a bike easily without having to throw their leg over the back of the bike, I think that would be great. I think there is a huge market for "comfort" and "commuting" bikes for people who aren't comfortable with an aggressive physical cycling position.

Not 25 years.. Since 1970s so well over 40 years perhaps close to 50 years. The article says 25 years after first Yamaha model. Before that, Panasonic, Hitachi, Sanyo and other manufactures were building ebikes. Then the motorcycle manufactures like Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha entered the ebike market.
Imagine the batteries used in the 70's. Probably didn't go far and weighed more than the bike itself. Maybe they were referring to more modern versions that were relatively commercial and practical (for that time) ebikes.

Either way Japan has a good long history with use of ebikes,while the EU seems to get greater press coverage about their experience which is ahead of the US. Meanwhile the 10's of millions of ebikes sold in China, w lead acid batteries would likely not sell well here in the US. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Timpo, great stuff!
I found this cool graphic showing ebike sales from 1993-2005, from 35,000 to 250,000, a huge increase.
Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 5.12.08 PM.png
And, here's the type of bike I wish Yamaha would be importing to the states instead of only focusing on sports/fitness type cycles:
Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 5.13.16 PM.png

Yamaha's 1993 introduction into the ebike scene was significant because as far as I can tell, that was the first instance of what we would call a modern PAS. Older models from Panasonic and Sanyo used a concept more similar to an electric moped.

Yamaha's 1993 introduction into the ebike scene was significant because as far as I can tell, that was the first instance of what we would call a modern PAS. Older models from Panasonic and Sanyo used a concept more similar to an electric moped.

Attachments

• ebikeyamahaPatent1993.png
    ebikeyamahaPatent1993.png
    188.9 KB · Views: 696
I'd love to see them sell more of the utility type ebikes here that they sell in Japan. Here their models are focused on road, fitness, and mountain bikes. They aren't selling any step-through models with an upright riding position, whereas in Japan they have tons of such models.
Perhaps they (Yamaha) don't see much sense pushing it in this market. Hub drives fill the utility niche well, and for people who prefer mid-drive for grocery shopping and casual riding around the 'hood, there are quite a few BBS models (though I don't see particularly strong argument for mids in this application).

The convenience of step-through is slowly, slowly dawning on people here. I wish there were more step-through to choose from. And, - more low-riders with 20" wheels. "Electric moped"... there is something to it...

Last edited:
I wish there were more step-through to choose from
YES! When I was growing up, step-through meant "girl's bike", and most bike styling was aggressive (drop handlebars, etc.) Then I went to Japan in 1980 and saw that step-through, upright ride-style bikes were common frame style for nearly everyone. I almost never saw a "boy's bike" style bicycle. Step-through bikes are accessible for a wider range of ages and sizes of people, for different styles of clothing (dresses! Longer coats!), etc. I'd like to see Yamaha bring step-through frames with an upright riding style, in both mid- and hub-drive types of ebikes. :)

Unfortunately there have been a great many attempts to bring mamarachis and similar dutch bikes (omafiets, or grandma bikes) to the states. None of them has succeeded, so far.

Reactions: JRA
Pedego has been quite successful with its cruisers and dutch style bikes--their cruiser (the Interceptor) comprises 90% of their sales, and the dutch-style City Commuter is their second best seller. I think Faraday's failure wasn't a styling issue (beautiful bikes!) but a problem of poor range. I think there is a huge untapped market out there. I think bike style choice relates to demographics very strongly. :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately there have been a great many attempts to bring mamarachis and similar dutch bikes (omafiets, or grandma bikes) to the states. None of them has succeeded, so far.
Wrong timing, or maybe wrong implementation. Were they electrical bikes? And if so, were they common European 250W hub with skinny tires and no suspension?

There isn't much need for mamarachis in a country where 1 child (or less) per family is a norm today.
Besides, states are predominantly rural or suburban. Not a bike-friendly environment. In my area I quite often see low-end step-through with either cargo baskets or one child seat. Rather bike-friendly and pedestrian-friendly area, you won't see this in many other parts of the city (hence, makes sense that ebikes in general are not as popular here as in Japan or Europe).

Step-through are becoming popular with aging boomers, as soon as knee and joints problems "help" them to get over the desire to look cool on a diamond frame ;)

Last edited:
Pedegos really are not commuters, they're weekend cruisers

LOVE Yamaha Japan's marketing photos. I have a middle schooler who ebikes to her activities, and it's clear that Yamaha Japan also has that market in mind! Now, pretty please, bring these bikes to the US??

I agree that Pedego should improve their marketing. They do have marketing materials that show commuters--for example, there's a video about a physician who commutes 10+miles each day to work, and another by another woman who commutes and has a long hillclimb as part of her commute. I don't remember what she does as a job, though .... Pedego also sells Pedego-branded baskets and panniers, and their shops sell other commuter-friendly accessories also. And, they have a cargo bike that has seating for children, and recommend child seats for it.

Pedego ebikes bikes are great commuters, as are those from other companies who you mentioned who also should improve their marketing. They are durable, long-lasting, easy to maintain bicycles that are great for hard use. My local dealer recently saw a cargo bike with 20,000 miles on it that had everything on it still original (except tires and brake pads).

It would be great if they would improve their marketing to show the wide range of possibilities for ebikes, and to better target those who might commute on their ebikes or who are looking for a car replacement, or a way to carry kids and grandkids around. I have 2600+ commuting, errand and recreation miles, and counting. I don't like their new ad campaign that focuses on William Shatner (colonoscopy joke, chased by a cop joke ... I found them very un-funny, and there are more coming in this vein, I'm afraid). I think their "Hello, fun" campaign was much better, and "hello, fun" also describes my 25 mile round-trip commute quite nicely. :)

I think there are a number of features of both the mamarachi and the omafiets that don't translate well into the US bicycle market.

One is quite literally embedded in their names -- omafiets roughly translates from Dutch as "grandma bike".

Another is that they are extremely inexpensive by American standards -- sometimes as little as $200-$250. So inexpensive that sometimes many owners don't bother doing *any* maintenance on them. With their enclosed chain guards you need to oil the chain only once a year or so, and many owners probably don't even do that. The problem with them being so inexpensive is that they take about the same amount of effort to sell and the same amount of square footage in a bike shop as a bike that costs five or ten times (or more) as much. So even if they could end up popular with cyclists bike shops probably won't appreciate them very much.

Still another problem is that in our "Safety Nazi" and "For the Children" culture we have here I'd expect if some adult was hauling small children on their bike they would end up being reported to the police -- probably repeatedly. In some jurisdictions they might be jailed and their children put in foster care. I am not kidding.

Finally, there is a geography issue. The sweet spot for these bikes is trips of less than about three miles (round trip). If you live in the Netherlands or most places in Japan that 1.5 mile radius probably gets you to the train station and the grocery store. In the States not so much.

There are a couple of features that many people miss when they first see a mamarachi. One is they typically have a beefy kickstand to make it easier to load and unload the bike. Another is that almost all of them have a built-in cafe lock on the rear wheel. And they all (like I noted) typically have an enclosed chain. Which while great for keeping your clothes clean and not needing to service your chain they make removing the rear wheel an infeasible project along the road -- so typically if you have a bike like this you will master "dutch style" flat repair.

LOVE Yamaha Japan's marketing photos. I have a middle schooler who ebikes to her activities, and it's clear that Yamaha Japan also has that market in mind! Now, pretty please, bring these bikes to the US??

I agree that Pedego should improve their marketing. They do have marketing materials that show commuters--for example, there's a video about a physician who commutes 10+miles each day to work, and another by another woman who commutes and has a long hillclimb as part of her commute. I don't remember what she does as a job, though .... Pedego also sells Pedego-branded baskets and panniers, and their shops sell other commuter-friendly accessories also. And, they have a cargo bike that has seating for children, and recommend child seats for it.

Pedego ebikes bikes are great commuters, as are those from other companies who you mentioned who also should improve their marketing. They are durable, long-lasting, easy to maintain bicycles that are great for hard use. My local dealer recently saw a cargo bike with 20,000 miles on it that had everything on it still original (except tires and brake pads).

It would be great if they would improve their marketing to show the wide range of possibilities for ebikes, and to better target those who might commute on their ebikes or who are looking for a car replacement, or a way to carry kids and grandkids around. I have 2600+ commuting, errand and recreation miles, and counting. I don't like their new ad campaign that focuses on William Shatner (colonoscopy joke, chased by a cop joke ... I found them very un-funny, and there are more coming in this vein, I'm afraid). I think their "Hello, fun" campaign was much better, and "hello, fun" also describes my 25 mile round-trip commute quite nicely. :)
A colonscopy joke isn't even funny to their primary buyer over 60. Shatner was good for Priceline, but that's now very old news, and there would be many other more pertinent celebs who would be more relevant to a lot more age groups.

This thread is super cool. I am very interested in Japan eBike stuff. Here's a few current magazine excerpts from over yonder.

Attachments

• IMG_20181030_102744694_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181030_102744694_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 700
  • IMG_20181030_102751674_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181030_102751674_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 650
  • IMG_20181030_103121461_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181030_103121461_HDR.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 650
The American / Canadian version of step thru ebikes are fundamentally different.

For example, Pedego may have step thru bikes, but if you compare them with Japanese ebikes, Pedegos really are not commuters, they're weekend cruisers.
The only reason Pedego bikes offer step thru is because customers wanted it for comfort, not so that they could use Pedego as a daily tool like Japanese people (picking up kids, getting groceries, going to work, school, and all that stuff)

Look at Pedego website, they're NOT marketing their ebikes for everyday use.
If you look at Pedego pictures, every single picture is something do with enjoying the weekend ride with friends, wife or husband.
Cruising down the beach, scenic ride in the city...
It's mentality and resulting marketing approach that is different, not US/Canadian version of bikes :).
Most of those Japanese commuters on the photos look like cruisers, only with added baskets or child seats.

If Japanese don't use them much for leisure, doesn't mean these bikes aren't proper tools for leisure.
Japanese culture is centered around work, work, work, work - and family. Not around leisure time.

Pedego knows their customers. It would take several economic crises, significant changes in urban and suburban structure and deep changes in demography and population density for Americans and Canadians to stop viewing cars as the primary means of commuting and shopping.

Regardless of utility vs leisure, there could be an anatomical reason for popularity of step-through bikes in Asia - lower average height of local population. I am "average" and still like step-through. They are comfortable frames, there is no denying this.

Last edited:
I would say that RAD is like Walmart. They sell everything, and nothing particularly fancy. One fatty, one cargo, 2 folders and one cruiser/commuter City.

They do call City a "commuter" and City Step Through a "cruiser", though I don't see marketing being much different for either one. The suggested idea seems to be that this is the same bike, available in two different frame types. Confirms what I've come to believe lately - there isn't really much difference.

RAD priced their bikes more in utility category, for sure. USA is such a tiny market. There is barely anything similar to compare in this price range, from some other more-less stable company that have been in business for some years and offer some kind of support.

Back