E-bike recommendation: full suspension and belt drive?

Mackie

Hello all, I am new here and looking to buy my first e-bike as my knees just don't like the hills around my home anymore.

I do mostly pavement riding and prefer a somewhat upright ride. I also really love belt drive, and probably need full suspension. I would sometimes be using the bike for errands such as grocery runs. I'm pondering the Homage but also wanted to check out any other bikes that might fit my needs. I haven't found any other non-mountain bikes that are full suspension with belt drive. Does anyone know of any other options? I do love the Homage but the $$$$ are hard to swallow.

so the Homage was this year's hot item, so you are going to have to pay the man in order to have one.

However, you could get a floor model Delite. You could possibly get a full suspension Delite with dual batteries and a high speed motor for $6000 (MSRP ~ $9000). This will come with a Gates carbon belt and a variable transmission (called NuVinci or also called Vario). This transmission is lossy (~18% energy lost) but it will save on price and will have a belt instead of a chain; I happen to like the NuVinci drive although it really does suck it's so inefficient.. but no gears!

You'll need to have the handlebars replaced with something more swept back and upright, as the stock bars are more motorcycle/mountain bike and have you hunched over too much. Probably you can get this as a free swap during the haggle/purchase process. Stick with the Schwalbe SuperMoto-X tires, as they are great for pavement and puncture protection.

The grocery solution comes in the form of Orteb (spelling?) saddle bags; attached is a photo of $276 worth of costco groceries jammed into them.

I know the Delite is billed as a mountain bike, but with a different seat and handlebars it can become a totally different ride; i commute 10 miles round trip every day one on, and i absolutely cannot be hunched over on a bicycle i hate that.

This should alleviate your price concerns and still address your needs.

Attachments

• 20190908_150645.jpg
    20190908_150645.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 888
Thank you so much for your thoughts. I will certainly consider this!

I have a Spot Wazee with belt drive and NuVinci now, and I love that bike so much but I moved to a hilly area. I'm not getting any younger either and grocery trips up 3 hills were just too much and painful on my knees. I do have Ortlieb panniers already so I'll be set. I really dislike driving cars and only do so when necessary so I'm willing to pay the $$$$ for a Riese & Muller. It's still cheaper than driving a car!

It's good you know what you want. I have been riding an Homage + belt + Rohloff since March and have put close to 1200 miles on it. My requirement at the time I ordered was simple: full suspension, belt and Rohloff. R&M was the only manufacturer at that time (last Sep) which met all three. It is my first full-suspension bike and I am glad I got it. I ride street and off-road about 50-50 so I need the suspension. Even riding just on pavement makes a difference. You should visit your e-bike LBS and tell them your requirements. Plus, you will want to test ride the e-bike before you buy. I prefer the Rohloff--my normally-aspirated bicycle has belt+Rohloff--over the Enviolo (NuVinci) but that is a matter of personal choice. Good luck! You will be happy with the Homage.

so the Homage was this year's hot item, so you are going to have to pay the man in order to have one.

However, you could get a floor model Delite. You could possibly get a full suspension Delite with dual batteries and a high speed motor for $6000 (MSRP ~ $9000). This will come with a Gates carbon belt and a variable transmission (called NuVinci or also called Vario). This transmission is lossy (~18% energy lost) but it will save on price and will have a belt instead of a chain; I happen to like the NuVinci drive although it really does suck it's so inefficient.. but no gears!

You'll need to have the handlebars replaced with something more swept back and upright, as the stock bars are more motorcycle/mountain bike and have you hunched over too much. Probably you can get this as a free swap during the haggle/purchase process. Stick with the Schwalbe SuperMoto-X tires, as they are great for pavement and puncture protection.

The grocery solution comes in the form of Orteb (spelling?) saddle bags; attached is a photo of $276 worth of costco groceries jammed into them.

I know the Delite is billed as a mountain bike, but with a different seat and handlebars it can become a totally different ride; i commute 10 miles round trip every day one on, and i absolutely cannot be hunched over on a bicycle i hate that.

This should alleviate your price concerns and still address your needs.
I bought a SuperDelite with dual batteries and I couldn’t be more pleased. I previously had a Specialized Turbo and there is NO comparison to the R&M bike. I’ve had it less than 3 months and put almost 1,400 miles on it. It is a “beast”.

I have brought the new 2020 riese and muller Super Delite, A short review, having a bad back, I brought a bike with Fox springs, that work so well, I had to use a GoPro, To prove to myself and video the back wheel go up and down, as the springs smooth out all the potholes, even railway tracks are soo smooth too! the motor is easy to peddle past the slow 25km/h we have here in Australia. For someone with bad knee’s Just leave the computer in turbo, the Gates carbon belt drive is TOTALLY silent, pity the seat after 85km is like sitting on a house brick, I do like the Rohloff too. It’s a nice bike that I have only use twice..

Attachments

• 3638D422-1F3A-4565-9A2C-29783C170F3D.jpeg
    3638D422-1F3A-4565-9A2C-29783C170F3D.jpeg
    735.1 KB · Views: 885
Last edited:
You'll need to have the handlebars replaced with something more swept back and upright, as the stock bars are more motorcycle/mountain bike and have you hunched over too much.
I'm concerned that the handlebars on my (on order) Delite will be too far forward. What sort of "something more swept back" do you suggest? It seems we have the same dealer in DC, so I likely can follow up on your suggestion.44429

I'm concerned that the handlebars on my (on order) Delite will be too far forward. What sort of "something more swept back" do you suggest? It seems we have the same dealer in DC, so I likely can follow up on your suggestion.View attachment 44429
Just be cautious of too upright of a position as this will put more pressure on your sit bones. Depending on which head unit you went with (Intuvia, Kiox, or Smart phone hub) you will be able to adjust your riding position. Only the Intuvia i believe does not have that adjustment out of the box. If you test rode the Homage your Delite will be able to have that same upright riding position if equipped with a Kiox or Smart phone hub. I could be mistaken about the Intuvia but someone will correct me if I've errored.

I haven't found any other non-mountain bikes that are full suspension with belt drive. Does anyone know of any other options?

What happens with full suspension is that the distance from crank to rear axle changes as the suspension flexes. This isn't a problem for derailleur bikes, because the derailleur simply takes up the additional tension in the chain as part of its normal operation.

So far, only R&M has a belt tensioner that works on full suspension bikes. The Gates belt needs a relatively narrow range of tension at all times.

The way they have relocated the Rohloff switch would be nice. I'll ask and see if they're interested to sell it.

1581388972140.png

The way they have relocated the Rohloff switch would be nice. I'll ask and see if they're interested to sell it.

View attachment 45535

I tried to buy it in their on-line store but it automatically charged VAT which isn't needed for export. They also charged 95 Euro to mail it which is ridiculous so I emailed and heard back from Claus who will send me an invoice directly. I'll report what he charges in case someone else is interested. Would be nice getting the switch below the grip if the price is appropriate.

Marc

Heard back from Claus at Nicolai today. He quoted 79.86 euro including DHL shipping to California. This piece replaces the top clamp on the Magura MT brake handlebar clamp so I'll have to do something with the high/low headlight switch. Not a big deal as I've never used it anyway. This is the top clamp I'm referring to.

Heard back from Claus at Nicolai today. He quoted 79.86 euro including DHL shipping to California. This piece replaces the top clamp on the Magura MT brake handlebar clamp so I'll have to do something with the high/low headlight switch. Not a big deal as I've never used it anyway. This is the top clamp I'm referring to.

View attachment 45582
Haven't received our Superdelites yet but am interested to know how you make out with this. Yesterday was week 8...sure hope they're close.

View attachment 45582
Hi. Received my Nicolai E14 Trigger Adapter in January. Thing of lightweight German engineering beauty, if a little pricey!!! But unlike you I have no Rohloff Delite... due end of March. So looks like both of us need to figure how to refix the M99 switch. I’ve got a broken M99 switch on my Load 60, so hoping when it’s fixed under warranty I might end up with a spare half of the bar clamp. Otherwise will try and get the part from Supernova direct - their support guy through their website was very obliging when I previously contacted them. M99 headlight essential equipment in the currently cold and dingy north of England!

Received the switch mount today, 11 days via post. It puts the buttons exactly where they needed to be. Perfect! Just have to figure out a remount of the high/low beam switch.

Marc

Back