E bike legality question.

oC4o

Hello, I just wanted some input. I’m curious as to how you can get in trouble for riding an illegal bike (over legal wattage) if you’re riding at the appropriate street legal speeds? I’m asking this question because I blindly bought a juiced hyperscrambler without looking into ebike laws (1100 Watts, capable of 34+ mph) and I’m wondering how I would get in trouble if I’m riding the legal limits? Is having a bike that is capable of higher speeds than what is legal a reason for them to give me a ticket/confiscate the bike? Is it likely that they would pull me over for some reason even if I’m going the speed limits? Just trying to decide if I should return this for something cheaper/legal.(I live in San Jose CA)

I looked at this particular bike you reference and it looks more like a motorcycle/moped than a traditional bicycle, so I think it would draw quite a bit of attention, if not from law enforcement, certainly from other cyclists or pedestrians who might wonder what kind of vehicle it is, since it doesn't look much like a bicycle. My suggestion is that if you want to ride on mixed use and bicycle trails, that you purchase an ebike that blends in better.

As for those of us who ride ebikes-that-look-like-bicycles, this topic has been knocked around quite a bit and the general impressions of folks here is that there isn't active enforcement when folks who ride ebikes-that-look-like-bicycles ride at appropriate speeds. My bike goes up to 24.9mph, and I ride at appropriate speeds on bike paths and mixed-use trails. I have never heard of police just randomly pulling over ebikes to check the class sticker or maximum mph on their controllers.

If you don't need 34mph for other reasons, I'd suggest a different bike. Some folks also have more than one bike if they cycle for different purposes--perhaps the high mph bike is important to you for commuting, and for weekend riding on recreational trails you might enjoy a more bicycle-like ebike that is a class 1 or class 2?

I'm sure others will chime in here soon!

I did some Google work on San Jose, this is on their cycling page;
E-bikes and E-scooters
New e-bike and e-scooter options began appearing in San José in March of 2018. The City is currently developing regulations to ensure these systems are operated safely and responsibly.

That sounds like city regulation is still coming. I've read that some California State parks , some county parks, as well as some Federal land ban Ebikes. Emtb bans are also in place, especially Federal Parks. You'll have to investigate how strictly they police those trails. I'd ask around at some local bicycle shops. Since you bought a bike that looks like a mini bike/scooter, you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. Does it have the required sticker on it from Juiced stating the class?

Last edited:
I'm just glad I live somewhere that we do not have a rule and regulation for every conceivable action one could take. That doesn't address your question. I think the bike you bought is pretty cool and it would be sad that you had to return it because someone decided it was "too powerful". As long as you ride safely the actual watts should not matter.

An "illegal bike" is a concept that is foreign to me. Unsafe acts on a bike? O.K.

Hello, I just wanted some input. I’m curious as to how you can get in trouble for riding an illegal bike (over legal wattage) if you’re riding at the appropriate street legal speeds? I’m asking this question because I blindly bought a juiced hyperscrambler without looking into ebike laws (1100 Watts, capable of 34+ mph) and I’m wondering how I would get in trouble if I’m riding the legal limits? Is having a bike that is capable of higher speeds than what is legal a reason for them to give me a ticket/confiscate the bike? Is it likely that they would pull me over for some reason even if I’m going the speed limits? Just trying to decide if I should return this for something cheaper/legal.(I live in San Jose CA)

Doubtful you'd get in trouble if you don't ride like an idiot. However, that scrambler looks like a motorcycle and I can imagine if anyone would be scrutinized, it would be someone riding such a "bike". Frankly, I get irritated seeing obvious moped/motorcycles skirting the intent of ebikes (which are supposed to be pedal assisted) simply by throwing on a chain and pedals which nobody is ever likely to use.

With ebikes in their infancy and laws governing them being enacted in many states, "stealth" is the way to go IMO. As previously stated, the more your bike looks like a bicycle, the less likely you are of being hassled. As Ann mentioned, having a second ebike may be an option. If you like your Juiced bike and have the budget for it, get a second "stealthier" model. That way, you could choose the appropriate bike for where you plan to ride.

Scooter theft became such a problem here that even in low key Indiana gas scooters have to be licenced. Police are aggressively stopping scooters without such license. So even if you get by with the police, if it looks like a scooter it is much more likely to be stolen. There is a serious resale demand for them. Across the street from me the thieves cut a chain link fence to get one, so they had a van and carried serious metal cutting tools. Be warned.

Sure looks a lot like a scooter. You might get stopped on the street by police looking for plates.

Attachments

• wcrambloo.jpg
    wcrambloo.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,026
Your big issue is not so much "getting in trouble" but if you get in an accident the fact that the scooter is not licensed and not street legal is going to make things very ugly for you. Even if you are not at fault in the accident insurance companies and the courts will look on the fact that the vehicle is not street legal to avoid any liability. And if you are at fault that is going to make your situation unimaginably worse.

It's a bicycle. It can be pedaled. The throttle only goes to 20 mph, just as if it was a Class 3 bike. Regardless of the looks, if you are riding along pedaling, you're going to look like you're riding a bike. If you're using the throttle, you will be within legal limits regardless.

The one thing I would be concerned about, is that it seems I've read that California ebikes have to have a sticker declaring what class the bike is. If you were pulled over and didn't have the Class 3 sticker, I suppose that might cause a problem. But as others have said, if you are riding responsibly and acting like a bicycle, why would you get pulled over in the first place? Are cops in Cali really scrutinizing ebikes that closely?

If you don't need 34mph for other reasons, I'd suggest a different bike.
I totally disagree. It's easy to be fixed on top speed, as so many (including the advertisers) are. The reality is that it goes no faster than you want it to. But with a bike with a high top end, you get significantly more acceleration from any speed -- very handy for traffic lights and getting out of tight situations -- and if you don't go that fast, you will have awesome battery performance.

As far as the 34+ mph top end, yeah. It can be done. There are videos of Tora doing it. But he is a trained Olympic athlete. I bet I couldn't get it over 30, on a level road, no tail wind.

Mr. Coffee's remarks are right on. If you cause an accident, that could be trouble.

Those Scramblers are flying out of Juiced Bikes' inventory, so if you decide to sell it, I wouldn't think it would be that difficult. Juiced Bikes has a no-questions-asked return period, one week IIRC, if you want to go that route.

I wish I could buy it from you. Looks like just the thing for riding the dirt and gravel roads in the national forest hereabouts.

I did some Google work on San Jose, this is on their cycling page;
E-bikes and E-scooters
New e-bike and e-scooter options began appearing in San José in March of 2018. The City is currently developing regulations to ensure these systems are operated safely and responsibly.

That sounds like city regulation is still coming. I've read that some California State parks , some county parks, as well as some Federal land ban Ebikes. Emtb bans are also in place, especially Federal Parks. You'll have to investigate how strictly they police those trails. I'd ask around at some local bicycle shops. Since you bought a bike that looks like a mini bike/scooter, you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. Does it have the required sticker on it from Juiced stating the class?

That's sad to hear ebikes are being banned in some federal parks. I was just starting to think what an awesome vacation it might be taking a friend and a couple ebikes around the state, (OR) and visiting various parks and beaches. To me, that's part of the appeal compared a motorcycle - where the ebike has the advantage of being able to ride on bike paths, beaches and such.

That's sad to hear ebikes are being banned in some federal parks. I was just starting to think what an awesome vacation it might be taking a friend and a couple ebikes around the state, (OR) and visiting various parks and beaches. To me, that's part of the appeal compared a motorcycle - where the ebike has the advantage of being able to ride on bike paths, beaches and such.

Actually if you mean "National Parks and lands administered by the National Park Service" by "Federal Parks" in general bicycles of any kind, electric or not, are not allowed on trails unless specifically allowed. In addition nearly all of the land in the big western parks is designated wilderness and also ban bicycles of any kind. In Oregon when we talk about national parks we are really only talking about Crater Lake.

Nearly all of the beaches in Oregon are accessible to e-bikes. And when they aren't it is because I can't see a way to haul a 60lb e-bike down to the beach and back up when I'm done riding.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification Mr Coffee! Yep, that's what I meant by federal parks but sounds like that's always been the case which is easier to accept. OR beaches would be a lot of fun, and there are some other specific parks which do have defined bike trails, so I suppose those would be okay for riding. And, not that I've actually ridden many of them, but I've always been a fan of the rails to trails paths. At my age, (and condition), having an ebike suddenly makes those accessible again.

not an e-bike. it's an e-moped, my two cents FWIW. I'm not a fan of anything with a throttle. This one has a throttle, and a powerful motor and a look that makes me say "huh?". Using these will help start the avalanche of laws. We have a very decent set of laws here in Michigan for e-bikes and this is not legal to operate on the roads, parks, etc. Legislation was drafted into law defining what the power/construction limits of e-bikes are, eliminating the need for insurance, and defining where they can legally be ridden. e-Mopeds like this are not good for the industry or the sport. My two cents.

This legality issue has been discussed here rather heatedly in several threads. The "Electric Bike Laws, Regulations" category here at EBR is devoted to it.

The demographics of the forum vary considerably as do opinions on these "hot rod" ebikes. For the most part, younger members seem to favor them while older riders do not. The youngsters say that, ridden responsibly, these high power ebikes pose no threat. While this may be true, older folks fear that it will only take a few accidents caused by idiots to negatively affect the emerging laws governing all ebikes.

Yes, idiots on conventional bikes cause accidents but the large, well established conventional bicycle industry has been around for 200 years. It is relatively immune to anti bicycle laws due to sheer numbers. The ebike industry is relatively new and does not have this protection. Unfortunately, we are an easy target for legislators.

Young or old, everyone is entitled to their own opinion here. It is important we keep in mind that anti ebike laws can quickly affect the industry and effectively spoil the sport for ALL of us!

The lawmakers would be better serving their constituents by regulating the Idiots driving high powered cars, while eating their fast food, drinking coffee, texting, talking on the cell etc. that kill multiple thousands a month than worrying about a few too fast bicycles!
Never could figure out how a bar, could legally have a parking lot?? thought it was illegal to drink and drive! They put a governor on a bike so it won't exceed 20 mph and allow a car to go up to 120 mph when the highest speed limit in the US is 85?
It's all BS and all about the regulations that can produce revenue.

younger members seem to favor them while older riders do not.
It makes sense to me that younger people, seeking mobility, and perhaps not being able to afford a car, would be drawn to personal electric vehicles that can get them from place-to-place efficiency. While I love e-bikes, they aren't suited for all transportation purposes.

There should be greater openness to a variety of personal electric vehicles, and I hope that over time infrastructure develops to support a variety of non-car options that use less energy, take less road-space, and are more affordable.

Back