e-bike for country roads in the Hudson Valley

mineymole

Hi everyone!

I am looking for an e-bike that would be appropriate to ride in Upstate New York - mostly on paved country roads with little shoulders and around my small village. The area has moderate hills, the unexpected pothole, sometimes loose gravel along the edges. An e-bike that is good for some exercise as well as transporting the occasional small bag of groceries would be great. I'd also like to stay under $2000 (if possible).

As a side note, the only bike store in town is a Specialized shop and has zero stock. There is a shop that carries Trek across the river with little stock as well. Then the closest shop with e-bikes is about an hour and a half away... so nothing too convenient.

I have been looking at:
Electric Bike Company
Radpower: mainly the radrunner or radmini
Aventon

Lastly, I am 56, female, 5'4".

Thank you for your help!!

Last edited:
Looks like you have a couple more bike shops not too far away. Might be worth a look.
Capture.PNG

It very challenging finding bikes in stock at LBS's. With that being said, if you order outside of an LBS, do your home work on customer service and reviews of the prospective company you may purchase from. I always suggest be patience in looking and if at all possible, purchase from an LBS.

I suggest, If possible, find a mid drive with a torque sensor system. Tires in the 2" range (pot holes).

One of my ebikes is a Rad and thier customer service is good, but I don't prefer the cadence sensor that comes with the Rads (personal opinion). There are many good offerings online for your budget but be careful. That is the lower end of the price spectrum for an ebike. I would also suggest to stay away from suspension bikes in the price range. Typically they use cheap and heavy shocks which may not benesassary for your type of riding.

Most likely you'll find bikes in that range with an external battery mount and entry level components (example: Rad) but that doesn't mean it cant be a good bike for you. Components, batteries and group set range from good, better and best. Do a little research on the makings of an ebike, it will prove to be helpful.

Sorry the map locations didn't work out. There is a very good bike shop in Connecticut. They have treated us and our friends very well over the past four years. It is not too far from you as the crow flies, but looking at the map there is no direct route from your location. If you decide to take the ride I would call first. They normally stock many ebikes but like most other shops they may be having a hard time getting them right now.

Hi everyone!

I am looking for an e-bike that would be appropriate to ride in Upstate New York - mostly on paved country roads with little shoulders and around my small village. The area has moderate hills, the unexpected pothole, sometimes loose gravel along the edges. An e-bike that is good for some exercise as well as transporting the occasional small bag of groceries would be great. I'd also like to stay under $2000 (if possible).

As a side note, the only bike store in town is a Specialized shop and has zero stock. There is a shop that carries Trek across the river with little stock as well. Then the closest shop with e-bikes is about an hour and a half away... so nothing too convenient.

I have been looking at:
Electric Bike Company
Radpower: mainly the radrunner or radmini
Aventon

Lastly, I am 56, female, 5'4".

Thank you for your help!!
If your Specialized shop even carries ebikes the Como and Vado are contenders for your area due to the middrive motor and geometry but more money. Could they get something in for you in your size with their "satisfaction guarantee", maybe ?

If your Specialized shop even carries ebikes the Como and Vado are contenders for your area due to the middrive motor and geometry but more money. Could they get something in for you in your size with their "satisfaction guarantee", maybe ?
I had the chance to ride a friend’s Como while visiting Sedona, but it is out of my price range... plus I kind of like the idea of having a throttle.

It does seem like most bike stores don’t carry small bikes... or at least around here where the stores are quite small.

So - really - I am thinking ordering a bike from a direct to consumer shop is the best option.

Most shops stock bikes that cater to tall riders, but all the big 3 have multiple frame sizes from very small to extra large. Most DTC bikes are 1 size fits most, and rear hub drive only.
Upstate NY has some serious hills that I wouldn't want to climb without the gearing advantage of a middrive, but that's just me ...

Hi Mini, I would highly recommend test riding when down in Sedona. It will really give you a feel for what you like. My personal experience was of the 10 I test rode, I would not ride 8 of them. Price was not really the factor either. Also consider how much you are a rider. A lot of people getting eBikes are not previously avid bike riders, which is great itself, but I would not rely on them for actual bike savvy. It is still a bike.

As for:
  • the cargo, the best is to have a rack, so consider how that will attach.
  • the throttle, that is a class two and sort of on the extreme of "assist". Those bikes tend to be built around that concept.
  • weight of the bike. Without making any assumptions, at 56 and 5'4", you probably don't want to hoist a 50-60 pound bike. Would you have to put it on a bike rack or take it up stairs?
  • Resale and service. Some of the more name brands or at least main brand components have a track record. OTH you might be someone who likes to tinker.
  • Tires make a big difference. So what they come with is one thing, and what you can put on the rims is another. The technology has come a long way since 2000. Did you know that they can run 40-50 dollars per tire? Getting up to car tire prices.
  • If you have a friend who is a bike rider, take them along. Also consider on your test ride doing an agility test. E.g. ride slowly and go up curbs, go on gravel, brake hard, go slow and try to do a slalom course with imaginary cones. A lot of bikes don't track that well. Sort of like an old Cadillac versus a newer Honda civic. The car analogy might help the shop steer you into the right choices to try out.
To me R&M ride like Mercedes or Volvos; Terns, like Nissan Pickups; Moustache, like VW Rabbits. etc. Hope this helps. What type of "car", i.e. bike would you like to ride?

PS: This is one of the bikes I would have you try as a reference point. https://moustachebikes.com/en/electric-bikes/friday-28/friday-28-3-open/ Solid components, good ride for balance and handling, upgradable.

Others should chime in with their reference models. Not that you would buy them but you can try them if you can.

PPS: someone asked me if the French were into bikes. I asked them if they had heard of the Tour, you know the Tour De France.

Last edited:
Sorry the map locations didn't work out. There is a very good bike shop in Connecticut. They have treated us and our friends very well over the past four years. It is not too far from you as the crow flies, but looking at the map there is no direct route from your location. If you decide to take the ride I would call first. They normally stock many ebikes but like most other shops they may be having a hard time getting them right now.
i have a dost bike I am a heavy guy and do alot of hill riding Dont over look the dost bike mid drive plus throttle ,and this company stand be hide there bike i own a reisse and muller nevo but the dost beats all so far I have had a few bikes rad rover, easymotion street risese and muller nevo which is a higher end, which i also have sale in the forms so I would stay a way from lower end and go for the middle of the road

Well I've been doing a lot of research....

Narrowing it down to:

Aventon Level Step Through
Radrunner Plus
Radmission
Ride 1up 700
Blix Aveny
Electric Bike Company Model S - thought that is more than I want to spend.
I can't really comment on the other models beside the Blix Aveny. I've have my bike for several months now and let me tell you, I always look forward to my morning commutes. Strong, powerful bike that gets up the steep hills around my neighborhood too. Just checked on their site and it looks like they have an amazing Black Friday deal going on, though I'm kinda bummed I already got my bike..

Back