Dog/child pull behind carrier recommendations...frame mounted

jcpawlak

We have a 19" RadCity and RadCity Step-Thru. My wife would like to be able to bring our dogs (each about 60-65 pounds) on some of our rides, which would be on paved trails/roads. Are there any recommended carrriers that have this weight capacity, and are mounted directly to the frame (rather than rear axle)? Any insights or ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

This trailer would be strong enough to hold 2 dogs. It has a weight limit of 180 lbs but does require attaching to the rear axle of the bike.

This trailer would be strong enough to hold 2 dogs. It has a weight limit of 180 lbs but does require attaching to the rear axle of the bike.

Thanks for the link, looks like a nice unit. We don't necessarily need to carry both dogs in one, so might be overkill on weight limit but better more than less capacity! I am suspecting there aren't many (if any) non-axle mounted options out there. The question is do I try and customize/modify something to attach to the frame, or just go on the rear axle and hope for the best.

They have ones that clamp to the seat post frame for carrying kids but I'm not sure how safe that is. I have a cargo bike and when I'm carrying someone and lean into a turn, I can feel the extra weight in the rear. It's unsettling. I figure the it would feel with same with a frame attached carrier.

I also have another bike that is dedicated for towing my trailer and its much easier to steer. I can lean and rides like a regular bike.

I have been looking at this on Amazon. I have a Radrover and want something to haul my grand kids around it. I think it is rated at 80lbs and like 120.00. I can't find anything else to work from. Amazon also has ball hitches that mount to the seat post that you can use to make your own trailer. Take a look
Aosom Folding Bike Cargo Trailer Cart with Seat Post Hitch- Black
1565904869455.png

I have been looking at this on Amazon. I have a Radrover and want something to haul my grand kids around it. I think it is rated at 80lbs and like 120.00. I can't find anything else to work from. Amazon also has ball hitches that mount to the seat post that you can use to make your own trailer. Take a look
Aosom Folding Bike Cargo Trailer Cart with Seat Post Hitch- Black
View attachment 36659
Thanks for the tip, that looks like it might work perfectly!

I have installed an Axle mount on my radcity. We use it to pull our 50 pound fur baby. I had to grind down the nut to make it work.

I purchased the Aosom one to give it a try (frame mount instead of axle, whether necessary or not). Will custom-make an enclosure for it, likely out of PVC and mesh, and I'll have a dual-purpose trailer. If nothing else, a fun little project:)

Back