dog carriers, maybe trailers

Sanders

Region
USA
City
PNW
We have a shoulder carry bag thing for our small dog, Pickle.
Video attached.
(Well tried to but unsupported or too big, or something else. Really?)
It's not why we bought the bag, just works ok for a bike ride.
He seems to really like it.
Only seen a couple dog carriers on this site/forums.
Couple trailers that seem pretty nice with good vids/reviews.
Anyone else carrying their dogs in a device that's intentionally made for that purpose?

My wife bought a dog trailer that was rated by the manufacturer for up to 100 lbs. Our Rhodesian Ridgeback, now 85 lbs, was only about 50 lbs. at the time. I hooked it up to her Class 2 bike (it sure wasn’t getting pulled with my Creo) and rode around our yard to try it out, and the dog’s movement tipped it almost immediately. It was a good thing I was riding slow and we were on the lawn, and not on pavement. Granted, the surface of the yard, though pretty good for a lawn, isn’t perfect, but I didn’t figure we could count on that everywhere we ride.

The thing that really bothered me was the pup chewed on the darn thing before I could disassemble and return it. I ended up donating it to a charity second-hand store.

Maybe I shoulda bought a carry-size dog. 😊

IMG_0349.jpeg

I like this option. You can purchase the optional wire cover to ensure your pet can't leap out and it works with the MIK system. If you have a incompatible rear rack you can simply purchase the MIK carrier plate that converts any rear rack to the MIK system. There are also a ton of other accessories should you not be transporting your pet.

Basil Buddy Pet Bike Basket
61+fANf5YVL._AC_SX679_.jpg

our dogs get so excited but they want to bail. I have to strap them in and even then out 59 pound guy managed to jump out and flip the trailer. so he needed a spike collar to keep him calm. I wonder fi the dog trailers would work entree since you can close them. the burley kids trailer you cant close the front enough to keep a dog in.

I saw this. You can get two for $900, or $450 each, and it includes the electric bikes. Who knows what shipping costs and the level of quality. They may catch fire on the first ride. Or never arrive. Or get held hostage in customs.
1693865040985.png

View attachment 161938View attachment 161939
This is a piece of Samsonite luggage made for a dog. I carry my 4 pound poodle on my back.

Not bad. What I like is the redundancy: If one strap fails, the odds are very good you can stop without dropping the dog, or at worst, mitigate the impact to a mild tumble.

Our terrier is only 15 pounds, which you would think would be manageable in a carrier. My buddy has the same breed and has a great handlebar carrier on his Serial 1, but his is 15 and ours is 4, very warm, loving and loyal, but still absolutely psycho, unpredictable, and prone to rare seizures and brief episodes of savage violence, which are followed by episodes of such intense guilt and self-loathing that punishing them is almost redundant. A few stern words and a 10-minute time out in the kitchen is all that's useful or that they can stand.

There is an online support group for the breed, and the newcomers always arrive at the edge of their own sanity, exhausted, scarred and covered with blood. Their central nervous systems are overactive. At six years old or so, they usually calm down.

I don't think I could safely or predictably carry him when he's worked up, even if he were in a straightjacket and I was wearing a suit of armor. And he hates Seeker anyway-- peed on the tires once (but never again after he saw the look on my face.)

Guys,
Try this trick,
I use it on all my Aussies, and other fur paws, to get used to the trailer, and riding,
move their bed, food and water dish inside the trailer, don't wimp out and give in,
after a day or so, they'll like their new home, and won't want to give it up.

To get use to the trailer movement, with that type of halter you have on your fur baby, get a quick snap and a couple pieces of chain lengths, an "eye bolt",
and towards the front find the center and mount the "eye bolt" with HD washers on each side.

Open the "eye bolt" end just enough to slip the end of the chain loop thru it.
You'll close up the "Eye bolt after the correct distance is found).
Then have them stand right over the eye bolt and adjust the chain links with a quick snap attached to the bottom ring of the halter, make sure you take the slack out of the halter when measuring, you want a firm support on the halter, around and holding them in that place.

Then snap them in and get use to the feeling of being tethered to that spot,
they may fight it, but if they can't get their front paws up and over the side rails,
they can't bail out.

Leave them there for a short time and moved the trailer around with them tethered there. After a short while they will get used to and like it, then start making short rides around the yard to get her used to the sounds/movements of the trailer etc.

My Aussie and German shepherd love riding all the toys I have including the ATV/SxS, they soon learn that the tethered helps them with any quick movement of the ride, and lean into the tether for support etc.

You can also use a wheelbarrow to start training them, with the same principal with the snap chain, for smaller paws etc.

Hth's

I need a bigger solution for a 15-20lb dog. Prefer a handlebar system or front pack carrier so I can keep an eye on him.

As if my bike wasn't carrying enough weight. 😁

Back