Does the Garmin e-bike Remote work with Ebikemotion equipped bikes?

It didn’t at first for me either but after a few minutes it did and now it works properly every time. I think the Edge has to learn which switch you have first and defaults to the other switch Garmin sells. Make sure first that the +/- arrows on the Edge work to change the assist level. If they do then you have to make sure the Edge recognizes the commands of the switch. Use the scroll button on the remote to go through screens to make sure the remote is paired properly. Then keep pressing the up and down buttons on the remote until the Edge (and the bike) responds. It may take a few minutes but eventually it will.

When you first wake up the ebikemotion button remember you have to press it once to wake up and another time to select the assist level and the Edge and remote work the same way, except you will be able to scroll up and down. It takes some getting used to but it will work. Since I was able to get it to work on the 820 (and a 1030) I’m sure you should be able to on the updated 830.
Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, the +/- on the edge are working and changing the assist level
The remote control is recognized since the scroll button allows to switch from screen to screen
It seems that the arrows don’t do anything but I cannot find any setting on the remote for assigning these arrows. So I guess there is nothing to configure.
I will then try again with the arrows to see if they eventually works.
Thanks again !

Thanks for your quick reply.
Yes, the +/- on the edge are working and changing the assist level
The remote control is recognized since the scroll button allows to switch from screen to screen
It seems that the arrows don’t do anything but I cannot find any setting on the remote for assigning these arrows. So I guess there is nothing to configure.
I will then try again with the arrows to see if they eventually works.
Thanks again !
They should eventually. I think the Edge has to learn what remote you're using since there's more than one Edge remote. I kept pressing buttons until it eventually responded. After this... no more problems. It's only when you use it the first time. If this doesn't work then I'd contact Garmin or go to the Garmin forums.

Hello.
Now it is working. I have deleted all other Garmin sensors (cadence, speed, and also remote ...).
After that, I reconnect the remote and the arrows were working.
It seems indeed that the ebiked field app is interfering.
It's a pity because I prefer to see the remaining battery in % and mode in ECO/TRAIL/TURBO than as the Garmin is showing.
But I am already happy to be able to control the assistance via the remote.
By the way, I have installed the remote as explained here... it is a very nice position

cheers

Glad it works! I had to totally uninstall the ebike field app as well because it was interfering with the Garmin’s native ability to control the assist level. You can still add % battery as a display field though. I have a Varia Vision and set it up so I can see % battery left there, and also have % battery on one of my Edge data screens. The assist level bars on the ebike control screen are good enough for me, so I didn’t see if there’s a data field for assist level. That’s a great position for the remote! I have mine installed just a little further back from the hoods but the position in the video looks optimal.

Glad it works! I had to totally uninstall the ebike field app as well because it was interfering with the Garmin’s native ability to control the assist level. You can still add % battery as a display field though. I have a Varia Vision and set it up so I can see % battery left there, and also have % battery on one of my Edge data screens. The assist level bars on the ebike control screen are good enough for me, so I didn’t see if there’s a data field for assist level. That’s a great position for the remote! I have mine installed just a little further back from the hoods but the position in the video looks optimal.
Yes there is a data field for assist level.
strangely, the three levels go from 2-4-7 but not a bid deal.
so I have all the info I need without the Ebike field app, even though it was better to see ECO, SPORT, Turbo

If you want to see battery level in % and assist level in words (Off-Eco-Trail-Turbo) you can use the ebike field from Jan Capek available at Garmin Connect IQ. You can combine it with other data fields on one screen. It works not only with my Specialized Levo, also with my Simplon Inisso Pmax (eBikemotion with additional ANT+ dongle). Tested with Garmin Edge 130 and Edge 1030.

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 19.35.35.jpg
    Bildschirmfoto 2020-11-28 um 19.35.35.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 427
I've tried the Garmin Remote on my 2021 Ribble which is equipped with ANT+ (I don't have an Edge). Pairing directly to the bike was no problem but the up/down control didn't work reliably and you can't really see on it's tiny display what level you are in so I sent it back. I then tried the PulsarOne computer/display which is much better in that the display shows clearly which level you are in but it still doesn't reliably change levels. I've since found out that I need to update the firmware on the bike to get it to work properly and I'm waiting for Ribble to tell me how to do this, it's a dealer only thing apparently and I'm hoping that I don't have to send the bike back to get it done!

Yes! Or at least make it so that any LBS can do it. All very well saying take it back to where you bought it but so many bikes are bought from online only outlets.

Changing the levels using the +- on the 1040 touch screen has a slow reaction time and cannot hit it twice and move it 2 steps until the screen refreshes which seems to take about 2-3 seconds. Half the time a simple tap would not work. The touch screens in general seem to be not very sensitive. Also concur that the level change at the bottom of the screen causes page changes when trying to change assist levels. Hoping to try Ebike Field App to see if is any better on the 1040 or my Venu watch.

That’s one of the reasons why I got the remote. I just mash it up and down to get it to respond because I almost always go from level 1 to 3 on hills and vice versa on descents and flats. Keeps my hands on the bars and after almost 3 years now of use it’s become second nature. Almost never use the Edge to change power levels unless I want to turn off assist altogether.

I don't know if it's written somewhere, but i just discovered accidentally that you can change level assistance to "0" (white light) with the remote.
Until now, i switched to assistance level to "0" (purple mode) by cycling modes with the ebikemotion button, but since i started bikepacking with my 2022 Scott addict eRide 20 (X20 motor), this was a pitty because of the top tube bag (see picture)...

But i was happy to discover that a long press on "less assistance button" (red arrow one) switched the assist level to "0", so i wanted to share it in case i'm not the only one to ignore it until now.

Attachments

• IMG_20230610_075928.jpg
    IMG_20230610_075928.jpg
    769.6 KB · Views: 138
Back