Does the Cheetah need Suspension Front Forks?

Mr Miyagi

Region
USA
City
OC SoCal
Have any of you Cheetah owners thought about adding suspension forks?

Originally, I was thinking of an old style springer like those used on older motorcycles like these.
Springer-1.jpg

but I've bought a more modern set of telescopic units and and currently in the process of machining a set of triple clamps to adapt them for use on my Cheetah.
Of course now I see many new fat tire bicycles are coming out with these types of suspension forks.

Fat Tire Front Fork-Bike-3.jpgFat Tire Front Fork-Bike-5.jpgFat Tire Front Fork-Bike-5.jpgPugsley w Carver_fork.jpg

I'm excited to test my new modified units soon...and will post the results soon.

20200903_173322.jpg

Ride safe folks.

Attachments

• Fat Tire Front Fork-Bike-3.jpg
    Fat Tire Front Fork-Bike-3.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 908
  • Fat Tire Front Fork-Bike-1.jpg
    Fat Tire Front Fork-Bike-1.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 521
Thank you Timpo, After the mods I had to make to the telescopic tubes and machining the new triple clamps I have to agree with your choice too. I may still fabricate a springer in the near future. Thanks again for your input.

So you couldn't find a double shoulder suspension fork that would fit ? There are several on ebay for less than $250.

I’ve bought the two pieces of material that will become the upper and lower triple clamps to mount the modified downhill forks onto the Cheetah and have drawn them in CAD. I’ve finished machined the caliper spacers and threaded axle caps and am hopeful to be able to squeeze the clamps in between normal machining jobs. Got my new tanks back from paint as well.

Attachments

• 20201030_163124.jpg
    20201030_163124.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 497
  • 20201030_163117.jpg
    20201030_163117.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 508
  • 20201030_162549.jpg
    20201030_162549.jpg
    379.4 KB · Views: 476
  • fork tops.jpg
    fork tops.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 564

This fork on ebay has 34 m tubes. Guess what the diameter is on the stock non-suspension fork is? Yup, 34 m. That would mean you could slide your old fork out and the new one in without changing the headset...as long as the overall width of the two tubes is the same. The ad does not give that one dimension. Also, no fender mounting bosses.

Last edited:
Those forks look amazing! excellent bit of research done Chip! Let us know how they work and be sure to post photos when you get them mounted.

Hello my fellow cruisers,
I was able to progress a bit farther on my triple clamp project today! Scribed the first line into the block, poked the clearance
holes, machined internals, fabricated the fixture to contour the outside, machined the outer shape and now need to machine
the slots and drill & tap holes for the clamping hardware.
Getting there slowly but surely.

Attachments

• 2nd Clamp.jpg
    2nd Clamp.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 400
  • 3rd Clamp.jpg
    3rd Clamp.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 402
  • 4th Clamp.jpg
    4th Clamp.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 383
  • 5th Clamp.jpg
    5th Clamp.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 385
  • 6th Clamp.jpg
    6th Clamp.jpg
    667.8 KB · Views: 423
  • 7th Clamp.jpg
    7th Clamp.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 397
Hello fellow Cruisers,

I’ve finally got my triple clamp machining done and just did my final test fit. So I thought I’d share a few more photos and quick review.

These suspension front forks instantly changed the riding personality of my Cheetah for the better with one exception, they weigh a little more when loading it up in the bed of the truck. Other than a very plush front end it does exhibit a small amount of front brake dive simular to a motorcycle but nothing like going over the bars crazy. They’re really supple over small bumps and I haven’t bottomed them dropping off curbs. Overall they are everything I’d hoped for and look kinda cool too.

4DrvcYz.jpg

jtP2Inx.jpg

Congrats & awesome.
Im still shopping for a new fork. The Wicked Thumb guys won't say what fork they are using. Ive a Himalo fork with all the right dimensions but, no US supplier.
And leading up to Christmas, I can't spend on myself.

Hello fellow Cruisers,

I’ve finally got my triple clamp machining done and just did my final test fit. So I thought I’d share a few more photos and quick review.

These suspension front forks instantly changed the riding personality of my Cheetah for the better with one exception, they weigh a little more when loading it up in the bed of the truck. Other than a very plush front end it does exhibit a small amount of front brake dive simular to a motorcycle but nothing like going over the bars crazy. They’re really supple over small bumps and I haven’t bottomed them dropping off curbs. Overall they are everything I’d hoped for and look kinda cool too.

4DrvcYz.jpg

jtP2Inx.jpg

Pretty cool ebike!
And smooth ride with those fat tires, front shocks, and Kinect seat post.
Liking the paint job on the “gas tank”. 🚴🏾‍♂️😎😁

Very nicely done Mr Miyagi. Impressive machine work and tasteful mods. It really came together. Enjoy the ride and be safe. Happy Holidays, JC Fat tire cruiser... new mods coming soon!

Hi chipgibbs,
Im still shopping for a new fork. The Wicked Thumb guys won't say what fork they are using. Ive a Himalo fork with all the right dimensions but, no US supplier.
And leading up to Christmas, I can't spend on myself.

Thanks Chip, Those inverted Wicked Thumb forks look great! I just couldn’t wait till mid-January and had already purchased my forks back in October.

Hello Marci jo,
Pretty cool ebike!
And smooth ride with those fat tires, front shocks, and Kinect seat post.
Liking the paint job on the “gas tank”

Thank you for the kind words,
You’re very observant! Although my Cheetah will never replace my motorcycles, it does fill a different sort of void and keeps me very busy in retirement…

Hey there JC,
Very nicely done Mr Miyagi. Impressive machine work and tasteful mods. It really came together. Enjoy the ride and be safe. Happy Holidays, JC Fat tire cruiser... new mods coming soon!”

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement buddy! This bike has single handedly kept me off the couch binge watching Netflix, eating popcorn during retirement! A work in progress with lots more goodies planned…
Merry Christmas and Seasons Greetings to all.

I am really loving the look a traditional Springer front fork brings to our bikes! Congrats to Dominik Strnad of the Czech Republic for the first Springer front fork setup I’ve seen on a Cheetah!

QbksPP3.jpg

I’m still super happy with my downhill fork mod but the chrome Springer simply fits this bike better in my opinion. I may be moving forward with fabricating a Springer Front Fork for my 2021 project…

after a second look I wonder if that front wheel could be a 29 x3 incher and why wouldn’t the front wheel also be white.
Wish there were more photos of the front end

Folks from all over the planet are customizing there Cheetah/Wicked Thumb/VARANEO/Scout ie all E-Bikes!

I’ve asked Dominik about his Springer Front Forks. Specifically where to source the springs.

I’d really prefer a progressive rate coil as I can machine/fabricate the pivot plates, triple clamps and brake
caliper mounts.
I’m also contemplating using a stock set of Cheetah forks with upper and lower trees as the base or starting
point and then adding my own steel pivot plates, aluminum arch, middle tree and the outer tubes.
I can imagine they could possibly be retrofitted to any stock Cheetah which would then allow every owner the
ability to enjoy a suspension front fork by simply adding a few parts. I’ve now got to order a stock set of forks
to begin the madness! I have shaved a few inches off my stock Cheetah forks before having them triple chrome
plated to compensate for my short legs…
Agreed, all black with chrome springs and acorn nuts would look just right!!

4RYTlEI.jpg

DNA-narrow-springer-black.jpg

I finally got to test ride a Springer Front Fork equipped bike and was thoroughly disappointed with the suspension feel as opposed to my current downhill telescopic tubes. I was so bummed by it's pogo stick like action and no real way to adjust the compression and rebound dampening. Which is probably why they are no longer used today.
They still look so fricken cool and very nostalgic but I've decided to move to other customizing projects and leave the Springer idea behind...

Back