Do You Remove the Battery when not riding?

Jerry LM

I have had my battery stored in the house for winter but put it back on the bike for a ride, when I came back since it was warm and in the garage I left it on the bike, turned it all off and when I returned a week later it is dead as a doornail! I recharged it last night and back to full charge now. What could drain the battery when everything is off???? I didn't plan on removing it every ride in the summer since it sits warm and dry in the garage.

If the battery has an on/off switch, shouldn't matter if you remove it or not.

The battery protection circuit draws power off a few cells. If you didn't charge it all winter, and then did some riding, maybe those cells got a little lower afterwards and caused the BMS to shut off the battery. Luckily they weren't so low that it shut off the battery for recharge (it happens).

Give it a long charge, and the BMS should rebalance the cells. I don't like to leave my packs charging indoors, so I do that outside.

Jerry, you assume that it was fully charged after winter storage, but it was not. There is always a self-discharge, even when battery is disconnected.

The BMS in some batteries will put them in a "sleep" state if not used for a period of time. They aren't completely discharged and will "wake up" when put on the charger.

From his description it doesn't sound like BMS put battery into sleep due to inactivity.
Could be what HarryS said - BMS shut it down when some cells became imbalanced after winter (partial) self-discharge coupled with one ride afterwards.
He rode the bike after winter storage, then left it for a week, and when he came back it was "dead", - whatever it means.

Should've charged it full 100% after winter. Normally 100% is not a good idea, but once in a while this should be done for balancing purposes.

From his description it doesn't sound like BMS put battery into sleep due to inactivity.
Could be what HarryS said - BMS shut it down when some cells became imbalanced after winter (partial) self-discharge coupled with one ride afterwards.
He rode the bike after winter storage, then left it for a week, and when he came back it was "dead", - whatever it means.

Should've charged it full 100% after winter. Normally 100% is not a good idea, but once in a while this should be done for balancing purposes.

Maybe not, it's hard to tell from the op's description.

I had two of my five Pedego batteries go into sleep mode after just a week of inactivity. I'm not sure why the other three did not since they were all charged at the same time. I suppose there are a lot of variables involved.

No. My battery just got to the red LED (44 v) after leaving it alone since the last charge December. Been plugged up the whole time, used only to cross the 6 lane street on the 8 second green lights.

Last edited:
Sounds like a problem. If the controller was plugged in, it could be the controller. If the battery was isolated, it was in the battery.

I removed the battery for the first time after riding 500+ miles only because I placed it in my car rack. No issues.

But he said the battery was drained from full charge to empty in a week though..
Nope. He said he rode it after winter, left if for a week and then it was "dead". Unknown state of charge at the beginning of that ride, at the end of that ride, at the end of one week storage (other than it was "dead"), and at the beginning of charging.

Not that the battery bars on the display are a reliable measure of state of charge...

Maybe not, it's hard to tell from the op's description.

I had two of my five Pedego batteries go into sleep mode after just a week of inactivity. I'm not sure why the other three did not since they were all charged at the same time. I suppose there are a lot of variables involved.

What is sleep mode?

Started my ride at 100% came back and parked in garage at 90% left for about 10 days and yesterday it was completely dead

Started my ride at 100% came back and parked in garage at 90% left for about 10 days and yesterday it was completely dead
Few possibilities:
1) It wasn't 100% when you started the ride, minor self-discharge during winter. Bars indicator is approximate, it measures voltage, and voltage curve is near flat on this stage, bars could remain the same.
2) Same for 90% - indicator is not accurate.
3) No matter whether it was 95% or 80%, it is possible that some cells got out of balance during stage 1 and 2, and BMS shut it down.
4) Battery is beginning to fail, and then anything can happen. Severely diminished capacity. It reads 100% but only holds a fraction of what it should've.

Last edited:
I put it away in Nov. at 80% charge after 3 mo. was down to about 60%, put it on the charger and rode the bike for about 10 miles before parking it. Charged it last night and went out just now it says fully charged and still does. Will see in a day or so what it does.

Don't forget to account for cold temps when checking your charge.

20% Self-discharge in 5 months at room temperature is normal, but keep an eye on it.

Li-ion self-discharge 5% in the first 24 hours, so don't believe when it reads "Full" next day.
Subsequent self-discharge is 3-4% a month.

Back