Do you bother to use PAS 6, 7, 8 or 9?

tlippy

Can't figure why there's even any choice to bother with these additional PAS levels. It's my understanding that PAS 1-5 and PAS 1-9 both have the same MAX. All the 1-9 set-up does is cause you to push the PAS button more often. It's hard for me to believe that on a 8 speed cassette you can really tell much difference.

Can't figure why there's even any choice to bother with these additional PAS levels. It's my understanding that PAS 1-5 and PAS 1-9 both have the same MAX. All the 1-9 set-up does is cause you to push the PAS button more often. It's hard for me to believe that on a 8 speed cassette you can really tell much difference.

9 is probably a bit much, but after tweaking my settings I definitely use more than 5.
1: I use when slow very controlled speed is necessary like going up a twisty bumpy trail.
2-3: is typical for just starting out or slower transition speeds between paths or terain.
4-6: for pedaling in the teen mph range
7-8: for speeds in the low to mid 20 mph range
9: is set to max for use with the throttle no matter what the PAS level set to.

That said on most rides I use PAS 3-6.
If you tweak your settings it's nice to have smaller more usable changes in power as I found the stock settings with too large an increase for each 1 up... especially if set to a total of 5

But now after watching @Mike N. video... I have to find a way to get 11 PAS settings.

Pretty sure you can program PAS=0 any way you would like, no? Nothing cast in stone about the need to have everything, or just the PAS shut down there if you'd rather have something else.

Yes, Any PAS can be set to what ever value you like.
Many set PAS 0 for use as throttle only... But honestly I don't see the need as any PAS can do that by just not pedaling.

I've thought about changing the number of PAS settings but it would be to increase them from 9 if I could, or alter them. This is the reason: I like to pedal at a certain number of revolutions and a certain resistance. Very often on level ground, of the the PAS settings in the middle range, none of them match up with how I want to pedal in any of the gears. I still want them for when I'm accelerating and switching up PAS levels and gears same time. But I'd want an extra setting in there. I've used the very low PAS settings almost never. Usually I use the throttle and pedalling together to get going from a stop, letting off the throttle soon after, and using minimum PAS 3. No use going to a setting that you're already going faster than setting 1 or 2 would be useful for. Minimum from a start up is setting 3.
So the best thing would be either an extra setting or be able to adjust some settings. I have a 7 gear bike. I usually feel good with PAS 7 when riding in traffic but 8 feels better and 9 is great. I like to keep up to traffic in many situations in city. However, I also want to get the exercise and make the battery less stressed. So I could easily do without settings 1 and 2 because I use throttle starting up from every stop. I do not want to be without any of the higher settings.
If I rode in the mountains probably I'd have a different need.

I've thought about changing the number of PAS settings but it would be to increase them from 9 if I could, or alter them. This is the reason: I like to pedal at a certain number of revolutions and a certain resistance. Very often on level ground, of the the PAS settings in the middle range, none of them match up with how I want to pedal in any of the gears. I still want them for when I'm accelerating and switching up PAS levels and gears same time. But I'd want an extra setting in there. I've used the very low PAS settings almost never. Usually I use the throttle and pedalling together to get going from a stop, letting off the throttle soon after, and using minimum PAS 3. No use going to a setting that you're already going faster than setting 1 or 2 would be useful for. Minimum from a start up is setting 3.
So the best thing would be either an extra setting or be able to adjust some settings. I have a 7 gear bike. I usually feel good with PAS 7 when riding in traffic but 8 feels better and 9 is great. I like to keep up to traffic in many situations in city. However, I also want to get the exercise and make the battery less stressed. So I could easily do without settings 1 and 2 because I use throttle starting up from every stop. I do not want to be without any of the higher settings.
If I rode in the mountains probably I'd have a different need.

As you eluded to.. This is a personal preference thing.
And also that is why I tweaked my settings to how I ride. I found a similar situation often that a PAS setting offered no help but going up one was way more than I wanted. Having smaller changes between each setting made much better use of the motors power range for me.

Back