Do I have a problem with these tires?

mfgrep

Region
USA
I am nearing 500 miles on these Pathfinder Pro tires that came on my new Specialized Turbo Vado SL 4.0 (non EQ).
I have had zero problems with the tires. They hold air sufficiently and I check them a couple times per week.

The other day I added a hitch mount platform style rack to my car. While trying it out a bit....and while the bike tires were raised closer to eye level....I observed a 'slash' type appearance along one of the sidewalls.
I would be surprised if I had somehow created this slash.....but I cannot be certain.

What do you make of this? I'm not freaking out....but it doesn't give me any comfort when traveling at near 30 mph.

PXL_20230724_142214229.jpg

PXL_20230724_142358888.jpg
PXL_20230724_142404440.jpg

I’d replace the tire. The tube holds air. That is good, but the tire, will it continue to support the tube? Looks like the bead is separating from the tire. I would definitely take it off to check closer.

If it were me, I would keep thinking about it, hoping that it won’t fail me. Replace it and no more worry.

If bike is still in warranty shop should be replacing it for free. Looks like manfacturing defect unless you have over inflated it.

I would definitely bring it to the dealer's attention in hopes of a free replacement. If they don't do it for free, pay for it yourself. It looks like a failure in the casing due to something happening on the assembly line. I doubt thats a slash.

I bet if you pull the tire off the rim you'll see more of interest than you can see now.

I see a pretty good nick in the rim. Maybe something got hit while you were riding?

I see a pretty good nick in the rim. Maybe something got hit while you were riding?
That nick was there when I bought the bike new from the LBS. It's really superficial.

I took it back to them and they replaced it with the same tire in a 42..... Slightly wider.
I don't like it. I just ordered the tire myself in the same size that I had for $24. It'll be here in a week or so. In the meantime, at least I'll be safe

Last edited:
Gravel cyclists say PP 2B in size 42-622 is about one of the best tyres available!

Yes...although I am not particularly a gravel cyclist. I am more an urban/suburban cyclist. Truthfully my OCD in combination with a general lack of bicycle 'knowledge' made me uncomfortable with two different tire sizes on the bike. I did ride this morning, however, and having a 42 at the front and a 38 at the rear was not a problem. In hindsight I am glad to have a free tire installed promptly. When he saw it in person he promptly deflated it and appeared to have a fear that it would blow at any moment lol. I have a size 38 being shipped to a much closer LBS and will likely trade it out when it arrives. Shockingly he said that tire was on sale and it cost me $24 shipped including taxes. It is my 'deal of the week' for sure.

For those that find the Vado SL to be entirely too rigid....I now see that switching to 42's.....and perhaps 50-55lb pressure....would go a long way towards a general softening of the Vado SL's ride. There might be a modest speed differential but not enough to cry about.

For me though....you know of course....with my ballz of titanium.....and my super macho steel coated butt....it makes little difference (joking)

Last edited:
Specialized started as a tire company in 1976. Yes, the tire in the photo is defective. I am glad that you had it replaced. They retail for about $64.

Yes...although I am not particularly a gravel cyclist. I am more an urban/suburban cyclist. Truthfully my OCD in combination with a general lack of bicycle 'knowledge' made me uncomfortable with two different tire sizes on the bike. I did ride this morning, however, and having a 42 at the front and a 38 at the rear was not a problem. In hindsight I am glad to have a free tire installed promptly. When he saw it in person he promptly deflated it and appeared to have a fear that it would blow at any moment lol. I have a size 38 being shipped to a much closer LBS and will likely trade it out when it arrives. Shockingly he said that tire was on sale and it cost me $24 shipped including taxes. It is my 'deal of the week' for sure.

For those that find the Vado SL to be entirely too rigid....I now see that switching to 42's.....and perhaps 50-55lb pressure....would go a long way towards a general softening of the Vado SL's ride. There might be a modest speed differential but not enough to cry about.

For me though....you know of course....with my ballz of titanium.....and my super macho steel coated butt....it makes little difference (joking)
@mfgrep as long as you ride Vado SL non-EQ, you could benefit from PP 2B 42-622 installed as tubeless and ridden under lower inflation.

I invested dearly in the full Redshift system and could not be happier but that's not for everyone. I could have bought a Vado SL 5.0 but the colour of the frame available at that time was repulsive to me! :) Later, I learned the carbon fork of SL 5.0 had a weight limit, and I am on the heavy side! :D

You are suggesting a 700x40c... And one could even go larger to a 700x42 if desired.

The redshift stuff looks great but I am unwilling to pay for it. Perhaps in the future should the need arise.

More pressing: I need to pick your brain on the specifics of installing a rack on my non EQ Vado 4.0.

More pressing: I need to pick your brain on the specifics of installing a rack on my non EQ Vado 4.0.
No experience with that! If your Specialized LBS is any good, they should be able to give you an advice regarding the rear rack. Unfortunately, the standard Vado SL rack is integrated with the fender... And the latter only takes 38 mm tyres!
You are suggesting a 700x40c... And one could even go larger to a 700x42 if desired.
No, I'm suggesting 700x42 :) Let us use ETRTO sizes such as 42-622 as that convention raises no doubt as to the tyre size! (The first number is the tyre width and the second is the inner rim diameter, both in millimetres). Interestingly, 622 mm is the rim diameter for both 28 and 29" wheels (hence, 700x to confuse the users more!) but the 29" wheels are wider and are for tyres from 2" (50 mm) up.

I'd run 42 on rear. At max pressure difference in rolling resist between it and 38 is insignificant. Where 42 shines is dropping pressure for rougher surfaces eg gravel roads and rail trails, gives lot more comfort and traction.

I'd run 42 on rear. At max pressure difference in rolling resist between it and 38 is insignificant. Where 42 shines is dropping pressure for rougher surfaces eg gravel roads and rail trails, gives lot more comfort and traction.
This makes a lot more sense to me too.

I run 38mm front and 42mm rear with that tyre. It was due to stock at the time. Works good.

Arguably more grip running the wider tyre up front. But my commute is hardly pushing the limits of traction so I prefer the extra air up back where the weight is.

I'll go 42mm front and back when the front eventually wears out in about 30 years time.

I run 38mm front and 42mm rear with that tyre. It was due to stock at the time. Works good.

Arguably more grip running the wider tyre up front. But my commute is hardly pushing the limits of traction so I prefer the extra air up back where the weight is.

I'll go 42mm front and back when the front eventually wears out in about 30 years time.
On the other hand, an issue I'm experiencing on my Vado 6.0 (which, technically, is a 51-622 wheel e-bike) is the rear wheel slippage. I cannot find proper tyres to avoid that when riding on some surfaces of "powder" type. I cannot understand how a knobby rear tyre such as Smart Sam can slip sideways on very shallow sand!

Back