Disparity between Kiox speed & GPS

It seemed that for my Delite I needed to select the smallest wheel circumference on my Kiox to get my GPS and KIOX readings to match.

Am I correct in assuming that if you use the smallest wheel circumference that can be selected this should give you the maximum actual speed before motor cutout even if potentially overestimating the distance travelled? For my Roadster selecting the smallest wheel circumference seems to overestimate the GPS distance by about 4%.

Also as another matter of interest I get motor cutout at 9% remaining battery on the e14 Delite and motor cutout at 5% remaining battery on the Roadster Vario. I understand the early cutout on the e14 is to ensure gear changing remains operational.

Cheers Stephen

It seemed that for my Delite I needed to select the smallest wheel circumference on my Kiox to get my GPS and KIOX readings to match.

Am I correct in assuming that if you use the smallest wheel circumference that can be selected this should give you the maximum actual speed before motor cutout even if potentially overestimating the distance travelled? For my Roadster selecting the smallest wheel circumference seems to overestimate the GPS distance by about 4%.

Also as another matter of interest I get motor cutout at 9% remaining battery on the e14 Delite and motor cutout at 5% remaining battery on the Roadster Vario. I understand the early cutout on the e14 is to ensure gear changing remains operational.

Cheers Stephen
I appreciate that information, I had assumed that the percentage was maximum useable so I reckon I have been very close to cutoff several times when I thought I was making it home comfortably. As I tell my children, assuming makes a dickhead out of everyone.

Is it bad to actually drain the batteries entirely? I’ve heard mixed opinions on this question ....

Unfortunately it doesn't, at least from my and several others' experience and that is the problem. Although your speed readings will be lower and may match the gps, the speed reading at the cutoff will also decrease accordingly. So it is tied to your wheel rpm. For example when I decreased the wheel circumference in my bosch cx mid drive, the speed readings went down by around 1mph accordingly but the support was also completely cutting off at 19mph in that case.

Bottom line: the algorithms written for almost all Ebikes are written to be on the “safe” side of the potential lawsuits.

The disparity in speed readout is due to the Bosch system referencing a physical speedometer instead of GPS.

As has been mentioned, the solution is adjusting the wheel circumference setting.

Last edited:
Back