Disappointment with Allant 7

Sorry, I thought you said you were testing an Allant+7s. That is a class 3 bike in the U.S.
No problem! I am seriously interested in acquiring a class 3 ebike due to its top speed of 28 mph. I would expect the class 3 to perform better on hill climbing as well. Many hills where I live; therefore, a more powerful ebike would seem a very good idea.

No problem! I am seriously interested in acquiring a class 3 ebike due to its top speed of 28 mph. I would expect the class 3 to perform better on hill climbing as well. Many hills where I live; therefore, a more powerful ebike would seem a very good idea.
Actually that expectation would not be correct, at least within the Bosch ecosystem. The Bosch CX motor which is found on most Bosch powered bikes in Canada and on class 1 bikes in the USA is essentially the same motor that is used for the Speed version on class 3 bikes. They both put out a maximum of 85 Newton meters of torque. They are just programmed differently with different torque curves. The CX is the most commonly used Bosch motors for E-mountain bikes, so the torque curve hits higher torque at lower speeds whereas the Speed version pushes out the higher torque at higher speeds helping the bike overcome the more intense wind resistance that occurs over 22 mph. Thus the CX will definitely be a better performer in climbing hills as it offers its highest torque at a lower climbing speed.

Actually that expectation would not be correct, at least within the Bosch ecosystem. The Bosch CX motor which is found on most Bosch powered bikes in Canada and on class 1 bikes in the USA is essentially the same motor that is used for the Speed version on class 3 bikes. They both put out a maximum of 85 Newton meters of torque. They are just programmed differently with different torque curves. The CX is the most commonly used Bosch motors for E-mountain bikes, so the torque curve hits higher torque at lower speeds whereas the Speed version pushes out the higher torque at higher speeds helping the bike overcome the more intense wind resistance that occurs over 22 mph. Thus the CX will definitely be a better performer in climbing hills as it offers its highest torque at a lower climbing speed.
Hi,
Thank you very much for clarifying! I heard the same from the Trek head office in Wisconsin. I feel more confident about the Allant 7 with the Bosch CX performance motor now! Perhaps the motor was not configured properly at the bike shop where I recently purchased and returned my Allant 7.
I will be visiting another Trek store to try another Allant 7. I understand that 85 nm is the correct setting for that motor,
Thanks again!

Can you provide a reference for this? Has Bosch published the torque curves?
Thanks.

I learned this from a Bosch certified technician at our local Trek store. You can search the web for confirmation as easily as can I but I do not need to do that as I have ridden both motors and gotten all the confirmation I need.

I'm with Alaskan here. I have no Bosch experience for reasons I won't go into here, but I can confirm that class 3/28mph rating provides NO assurance you'll have more power to climb. First, you have to equal things out by specifying a climbing speed. A bike making a hill at a speed where you are pedaling your brains out just to maintain enough speed where you can maintain your balance is a FAR cry from a bike making that same hill with power to spare while maintaining 15mph.

Both bikes COULD be rated class 3, because each will do 28mph on flat paved surfaces, but that's not the end of the story. You may find wattage and NM rating has much more to do with a bike's hill climbing performance. Just a heads up. Do your own due diligence before buying.....

I learned this from a Bosch certified technician at our local Trek store. You can search the web for confirmation as easily as can I but I do not need to do that as I have ridden both motors and gotten all the confirmation I need.
thanks. I've searched for this information in the past and failed. Guess it doesn't matter at this point, since I've figured out how to make the bike work for me...

thanks. I've searched for this information in the past and failed. Guess it doesn't matter at this point, since I've figured out how to make the bike work for me...
Has anyone any experience on ebikes with belt drives?
Specialized Vado 5 looks impressive, but costly of course.
Just heard about the Zen Samurai ebike that also looks good.
Thanks!

Have been riding and sorting one of these the last couple of weeks-

If it helps any, wife and I (both over age 65) have had our new Allant 7 for about a month now and just LOVE them... we both climb the steepest hills in town with eaze, hills we could never climb on our Trek "non-ebike" that we traded in...

it does take effort to use a mid drive. its not the same feeling as a hub drive. there effort you put into it the more you get out of it.
I’m really pleased with my 7, but I’m having trouble getting to 45 kmh if there is a light head wind or a gentle climb, even if I’m putting in 300+ watts, is this to be expected? I have a daily commute of 35km and only ever ride in turbo.

I’m really pleased with my 7, but I’m having trouble getting to 45 kmh if there is a light head wind or a gentle climb, even if I’m putting in 300+ watts, is this to be expected? I have a daily commute of 35km and only ever ride in turbo.
yes those fat tires eat up your watts. you still have to put out another 150 or so watts before ou hit the limit of the Bosch motor.

yes those fat tires eat up your watts. you still have to put out another 150 or so watts before ou hit the limit of the Bosch motor.
Ok, but the thing I don’t get is, on a flat road with no head wind I can easily hit the 45km limit with around 120w of my power, why is it so much harder to reach max speed with the extra resistance of a slight climb? Can the motor really not give me more power? I’m new to eBikes, and obviously still have a thing or two to learn.

Ok, but the thing I don’t get is, on a flat road with no head wind I can easily hit the 45km limit with around 120w of my power, why is it so much harder to reach max speed with the extra resistance of a slight climb? Can the motor really not give me more power? I’m new to eBikes, and obviously still have a thing or two to learn.
are you sure? on my bulls bike with the older motor and 1.5" tires I had to put out 200 to 250 watts on turbo to keep to the max speed. that bike accelerated and took less work to keep it going over my trek with the fat tires. 125 watts is about what I use to go 22mph I have had a nyon on both bike for a long time and have measured watts a lot. those fat tires really eat up the watts when your trying to go fast.

Back