Different Bar for Hybrid

image.jpeg
Good thread here. I have the straight bar blues on my new ST1. My wrists hurt. I'm thinking the bar is just too low so I thought I'd try an adjustable stem first, to raise the bar up, a little back. Anyone ever tried this approach before switching out the handlebars?

Oh yeh. I put them on all my bikes. Helps find that 'just right' spot. But usually in combo with different bars it seems.

I find carbon bars more comfortable than aluminum, they seem to mute road chatter and vibrations better. I've bought some cheap chinese ones on ebay that have held up just fine. FWIW

I think an earlier thread got the ball rolling on flat bars. I give @Ron Bez for bringing this topic up.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/my-new-2016-turbo-base-model.2895/#post-36019

I tried an extension but it wasn't adjustable. I think the key may be that your hands and wrists end up in a neutral position.

The distance from the seat to the handlebars (or grips) must determine how far you lean forward. My wrists and thumbs got so bad with a flat bar I built the cruiser in my member photo (left). This works, but it seems to put a lot of stress on the rider's back, it's too upright. I bought a third bike a while after building the cruiser and it came with the standard flat bar. I was in pain the first time I rode it. I got rid of it immediately.

This is the bar I ended up with, and the nice grips. I have to be careful from here. I don't want it to start looking cluttered. You do get a lot of room with some of these curved bars.:)

Wearing gloves and moving your hands around, avoiding the 'death grip', all help.

Attachments

• bar.png
    bar.png
    458 KB · Views: 439
I think an earlier thread got the ball rolling on flat bars. I give @Ron Bez for bringing this topic up.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/my-new-2016-turbo-base-model.2895/#post-36019

I tried an extension but it wasn't adjustable. I think the key may be that your hands and wrists end up in a neutral position.

The distance from the seat to the handlebars (or grips) must determine how far you lean forward. My wrists and thumbs got so bad with a flat bar I built the cruiser in my member photo (left). This works, but it seems to put a lot of stress on the rider's back, it's too upright. I bought a third bike a while after building the cruiser and it came with the standard flat bar. I was in pain the first time I rode it. I got rid of it immediately.

This is the bar I ended up with, and the nice grips. I have to be careful from here. I don't want it to start looking cluttered. You do get a lot of room with some of these curved bars.:)

Wearing gloves and moving your hands around, avoiding the 'death grip', all help.
GS, that looks like what I might need. I'm thinking I will try raising the bar with an adjustable stem first. I've got one of those bad backs, too!

BTW, is that a Sony videocam on your bars?

BTW, is that a Sony videocam on your bars?
It's a Sony AS-100, so now discontinued. The image stabilization helps. I get the best stability with a chest mount but you really stand out doing that. The bar mount is pretty stealth.

The Chinese stuff just gets better and better. There is a Youtube channel, Techmoan, with a lot of reviews. I'll keep the Sony until it dies or 4k is just irresistible.

I just put that adjustable stem on my eJoe Koda today after starting to feel that tennis elbow sort of stiffness. Just that little bit higher and closer already feels better. I've got a lot of riding around Lake Placid planned for next week, and we'll see how it goes.

Back