Difference between Sport and eMTB modes

Klemze

Region
Europe
When i bought my R&M Supercharger2, the guy at the dealer upgraded the firmware, and said the upgrade had the eMTB mode, previously Sport. Can someone that knows, tell what the exact difference is? I get that it checks how hard you pedal and adjust assistance accordingly..so it is basically Turbo when you need it. But this was how i was explained the sport mode also. Maybe someone can fill in some details im missing here.

FIrst post btw 🥳

As one of the first to go from Sport to EMTB with an Allant+7, I noticed a big difference in how the CX motor reacted to pedal input. I had tried an uphill through heavy grass before and after the update and the Sport was just slightly better than Touring. EMTB is much more responsive and torquey and I definitely prefer it.

I noticed that my Purion display shows 'sport'. Richard, what does your display show?
First I had REI replace my Purion with a Nyon before before delivery. Nyon reads out EMTB when selected as level 3 assist.
Second I have the high speed, class 3 28mph/45 kph model which does not have EMTB as an option. EMTB is strictly a Performance CX optional feature.

Sport/EMTB mode, basically is an auto mode, assist levels can vary between 140-340%.

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.54.06 PM.png

I too have the eMtb mode on my Powerfly FS9 and LOVE it to death! You just set it and forget it, pedal hard, go hard; pedal soft go soft. Small hills, large hills, flat roads, it all just compensates for whatever the roadway conditions dictate. I still end up with the same battery usage with the average of one mile per one percentage of battery used, about 100 miles before I have to head on home :)

So, if my display shows 'sport' does that mean I don't have the updated software, with the 85nm of torque? I bought my bike is August, well after the upgrade's release, so I automatically thought the bike would come with the software update.
Richard, I know you posted that eMTB only comes with the CX motor-is that motor only on the mountain bikes?

So, if my display shows 'sport' does that mean I don't have the updated software, with the 85nm of torque? I bought my bike is August, well after the upgrade's release, so I automatically thought the bike would come with the software update.
Richard, I know you posted that eMTB only comes with the CX motor-is that motor only on the mountain bikes?
the CX motor's designed intent from Bosch was for eMTBs but there are many CX motors used on other bikes, especially in jursidictions that do no allow class 3 (45 kmph) bikes.

If you still have an Purion display it will show EMTB when selected, according to @Dallant who has a Purion on his Trek Allant. I know that with the Intuvia shows sport but flashes EMTB full screen briefly when level 3 assist is chosen. The new Nyon has different screen background color (green, blue, purple & red) for each mode Eco-Turbo and a small label in the title strip at the top of each screen. I am not sure about Kiox or smart phone hub as I have no experience with either one.

Last edited:
the CX motor's designed intent from Bosch was for eMTBs but there are many CX motors used on other bikes, especially in jursidictions that do no allow class 3 (45 kmph) bikes.

If you still have an Purion display it will show sport, even when EMTB is installed and the selected mode. I know that with the Intuvia it also shows sport but flashes EMTB full screen briefly when level 3 assist is chosen. I am not sure if the Purion does this or if you just have to trust that it is in the EMTB mode when sport is selected. The new Nyon has different screen background color (green, blue, purple & red) for each mode Eco-Turbo and a small label in the title strip at the top of each screen. I am not sure about Kiox or smart phone hub as I have no experience with either one.
My Allant+7 w/Purion shows EMTB at all times, when selected.

I had been told otherwise. Thanks for the correction. I will go back and edit my post.
Well, other generations of the CX may be different but this is mine.

Attachments

• D97B4E94-A220-4DB3-95A0-7A4952B471BB.jpeg
    D97B4E94-A220-4DB3-95A0-7A4952B471BB.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 332
As far as i know:
You have a Purion and it show's Sport, this means eMTB is not enabled. This does not mean you don't have the 85Nm upgrade.
Can someone please verify this as a table of what is/not possible:
Motor/UpgradeeMTB85Nm
CX Gen2yesno
CX Gen2 HSnono
CX Gen4yesyes
CX Gen4 HSnoyes

As far as i know:
You have a Purion and it show's Sport, this means eMTB is not enabled. This does not mean you don't have the 85Nm upgrade.
Can someone please verify this as a table of what is/not possible:
Motor/UpgradeeMTB85Nm
CX Gen2yesno
CX Gen2 HSnono
CX Gen4yesyes
CX Gen4 HSnoyes
That’s my understanding of how it works with my 4th Gen CX. The other option was the ability to turn the lights on/off. I don’t know about the other generations.

Then if you have a Trek you could:

I'm taking my Cannondale Lefty 3 back to the bike shop I bought the bike from in May, to have them install the larger chain ring I purchased and reset the motor's computer for the larger ring. I'll also make sure I have the latest software updates and ask about the eMTB mode.

Back