Diamondback vs Yamaha?

Just so that potential Yamaha customers know, any Yamaha dealer, including motorcycle shops are required by Yamaha to perform warranty work on Yamaha ebikes. The Wabash RT has some interesting software with an “Automatic Support Mode”. It’s also a Class 3 and has a three year warranty.

Regarding a statement that an ebike is a toy. Even if it is for some, it is still a vehicle that you have to rely on. You want good handling, some comfort, a reliable power train, good brakes and a pleasurable riding experience. There is of course a point of diminished returns, but the Wabash RT seems top be a good value and should provide many years of transportation, commuting, fun and/or exercise.

Last edited:
The Wabash RT has some interesting software with an “Automatic Support Mode”.
I know that feature from a Giant e-bike equipped with a Yamaha motor. It is not good. The power delivery in the AUTO mode is uneven, excessive, not really working on climbs (it should increase the assistance on the climbs but it does not). The battery consumption cannot be predicted. I still shudder when I recollect my Giant test ride in the AUTO mode. The battery went flat 10 km to my destination. There was a torrential rain and I got lost in the forest (including marshes); I had to get out solely on my leg power.

While I do not appreciate the Yamaha AUTO mode, I think Yamaha Wabash RT and Diamonback Current are both interesting e-bikes in their class, and I am glad I do not need to make a purchase decision myself!

Hah, yes, I’ve been looking on and off for a few years now, ever since the Trek Crossrip + was discontinued. It can be frustrating. These two bikes are the closest I’ve seen to the Crossrip. I emailed Diamondback and they confirmed that the Current can be equipped with lights (pre-wired), fenders and rack. Neither Yamaha nor Diamondback have dealers nearby that carry their bikes through.

I’m leaning towards the Diamondback because there is an REI nearby that sells regular Diamondbacks. They told me they could build/service it if I brought it in. The other LBS I go to probably would also (even though Pon owns the shop now). On top of that, I like that it has the Bosch motor (though I don’t think I like how strict they are with the speed limiter).

I also want to test ride them. Last time I bought a bike sight unseen, it didn’t go well. Decisions, decisions.

Hmmm, the plot thickens. I just discovered the Specialized Turbo Creo SL Comp E5 (there's a mouthful). It's on sale now for just a few hundred more than the Diamondback, already has lights, and can take racks and fenders.

Edit: Fixed to include "Creo" in the name. Still a mouthful!

I have a Diamondback Union 2 that I bought almost two years ago and it has been a good trouble free bike for me (3000 miles) Put a suspension seat post and suspension goose neck on it and it really helps smooth out the ride. The Current is equipped similarly as the Union 2 but is a gravel bike as opposed to a hybrid as you know. Unless you really want the gravel bike, you can save some cash as the Union 2 comes equipped with fenders, rack and lights. Diamondback must have wanted to clear out inventory this spring as they were discounting the price on both the Union 1 and Union 2, $2800 and $3400 respectively, good pricing for a 4th generation Bosch powered bike with decent Shimano equipment. Sale is still going on but they are down to x-large size being the only stock left. My local dealer still has a Union 2 in large size listed at $3250, but shipping would be stiff ( i'm in Anchorage, Ak)
To the OP, i'm 5'11" and the large size fits me perfectly, I have a 32" inseam.

The Diamondback Current is now on sale. A pretty good deal too. $3000 (27% off - originally $4100)! It’s now back under consideration.

Did you get something else or still looking? I picked up the aluminum creo. Spent a lot more then originally intended but besides some treks and the Yamaha it was the only bike I could try and there are multiple dealers around I can go to with issues The trek domaine was nice but I wanted class 3 and also a mid drive motor. The price I could have got the diamond back for was really great like 2800 if not less actually but that bike is very heavy and I was too unsure of the sizing. I am very happy with the creo honestly. The thing rides amazing. I had a carbon “gravel” bike I sold and this rides so much better and smoother.

Nice! I’m still a little unsure about the Diamondback or the Creo. I may go with a flat bar like the Gazelle Medeo and add extenders.

Did you add racks or fenders? Any pictures you’d like to share? Utility is a concern of mine, but so is the ability to have a more aero position. It can get pretty windy where I live. Even though the e-assist would help with that, having wind blowing in your face still sucks. Plus, it’s a 10+ mile ride so being able to change hand positions is important.

Nice! I’m still a little unsure about the Diamondback or the Creo. I may go with a flat bar like the Gazelle Medeo and add extenders.

Did you add racks or fenders? Any pictures you’d like to share? Utility is a concern of mine, but so is the ability to have a more aero position. It can get pretty windy where I live. Even though the e-assist would help with that, having wind blowing in your face still sucks. Plus, it’s a 10+ mile ride so being able to change hand positions is important.
honesty if you want utility and have a lot of wind the creo may not be the best bike. the only time I have really wanted more power with the creo is in extreme wind. If I lived somewhere with more climbing or a lot of wind I would probably want a stronger motor or battery if you are going more then 15 miles.

honesty if you want utility and have a lot of wind the creo may not be the best bike. the only time I have really wanted more power with the creo is in extreme wind. If I lived somewhere with more climbing or a lot of wind I would probably want a stronger motor or battery if you are going more then 15 miles.

Thanks. It’s just too bad that the Momentum Voya E+ 1 is a Class 1 with only a 25 Nm motor. It’s perfect in every way EXCEPT the motor. If it was at least a 65 Nm Class 3 eBike, it would be perfect.

The Diamondback Current is the closest I’ve seen to the Voya that is a Class 3. Diamondback confirmed that it will take racks, lights and fenders (though I’m not totally sure that includes front racks). I just wish there was somewhere nearby that I can try it out before deciding I want to buy it.

Back