Design error on the battery lock on Turbo Vado 5, and more models…?

JP Stromer ST1

Hi, as my profile name indicates I`m Stromer e-bike fan, but recently also bought a new (2017) Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0, upgraded with TCD-W display, Mission Control and the Supernova M99 Pro front/back.

Nice bike, if you, compared to Stromer like big wheels, a lot of plastic and the rounded design.

Anyway, this topic might have been discussed, and most of you owners (and thieves) probably know how to remove the battery using a plastic card, quicker than with key.

See video.

Was unable to upload hope this can be seen.

I find it hard to believe how a premium e-bike supplier can deliver such a simple battery locking mechanism. The fact that they use ABUS cylinders just makes it funny.
Can it be that this thieve friendly battery locking mechanism is intended in order to sell more batteries?

So what do you do?

Do you always carry the battery with you OR HAR ANYONE FOLUND A SMART LOCK THAT FITS THIGHT AROUND THE BATTERY MAKING IT HARD TO STEAL IT?

I have looked at Hiplock, Ottolock and similar, but not had my hands on them.

I believe also due to the shape of the battery that you will need two additional looks, make a DIY design that prevents the lock from be pushed to the thinner side.

Any comments on how to secure the battery.

Attachments

• hiplok-z-lok-kabelbinderschloss-50cm-3-stellig-all-black-1.jpg
    hiplok-z-lok-kabelbinderschloss-50cm-3-stellig-all-black-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 528
  • ottolock-cinch-lock-45-cm-stealth-black-1.jpg
    ottolock-cinch-lock-45-cm-stealth-black-1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 518
  • vado lock I.jpg
    vado lock I.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 958
  • vado lock II.jpg
    vado lock II.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1,330
Hi, as my profile name indicates I`m Stromer e-bike fan, but recently also bought a new (2017) Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0, upgraded with TCD-W display, Mission Control and the Supernova M99 Pro front/back.

Nice bike, if you, compared to Stromer like big wheels, a lot of plastic and the rounded design.

Anyway, this topic might have been discussed, and most of you owners (and thieves) probably know how to remove the battery using a plastic card, quicker than with key.

See video.

Was unable to upload hope this can be seen.

I find it hard to believe how a premium e-bike supplier can deliver such a simple battery locking mechanism. The fact that they use ABUS cylinders just makes it funny.
Can it be that this thieve friendly battery locking mechanism is intended in order to sell more batteries?

So what do you do?

Do you always carry the battery with you OR HAR ANYONE FOLUND A SMART LOCK THAT FITS THIGHT AROUND THE BATTERY MAKING IT HARD TO STEAL IT?

I have looked at Hiplock, Ottolock and similar, but not had my hands on them.

I believe also due to the shape of the battery that you will need two additional looks, make a DIY design that prevents the lock from be pushed to the thinner side.

WOW! Possibly we can insist that existing owners as early adopters get a hefty, substantial discount on a new bike (with a real locking mechanism), or seek some sort of class action.....thoughts?

Hopefully there are a few senior members here who have dealt with similar issues or even some from Specialized.
Currently I would like to feel safe leaving the battery in the bike for short errands in the city.
Might be av way to prevent this, open invitation for thieves.
Could be melting a new layer of steel or plastic around the top of the battery to prevent access to the locking mechanism.

Could be melting a new layer of steel or plastic around the top of the battery to prevent access to the locking mechanism.
That's crazy... i'm on ebr quite often but nobody else has ever mention it ! Maybe u should delete the video or the whole thread.

See the pic on how a reliable
brand does it. That's the proper way on how the skillfull engineers that designed my Class 3. I'm glad i was never on the stromer/special bandwagon...great sexy looking ebikes though.

The top nudge on the battery is a very hard plastic part that's part of the battery case ;that nudge goes inside that 5-6mm hole on the top portion inside downtube . And bottom is secured with that thick aluminium that slides in/out of the battery case when using the key. A LOT harder here to take it off.
There's def. a manufacturing defect there or lack of good engineering.

Attachments

• DA614AD0-2819-43B3-AF0C-84E95C5D211E.jpeg
    DA614AD0-2819-43B3-AF0C-84E95C5D211E.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 433
  • C5BAEBF3-45FE-4EA9-A0BB-AC72F1D4600B.jpeg
    C5BAEBF3-45FE-4EA9-A0BB-AC72F1D4600B.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 479
  • 5AD98F51-B2EA-4795-9DE2-F51612080BA4.jpeg
    5AD98F51-B2EA-4795-9DE2-F51612080BA4.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 404
  • A57B3626-803C-4057-8E1C-C997A0F1CDB7.jpeg
    A57B3626-803C-4057-8E1C-C997A0F1CDB7.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:
what material is the top of the battery casing? the easiest solution, given how it removes, would be a lip which closed the gap from above. a battery thief equipped with only a credit card would likely be deterred by something welded (even spot welded or plastic welded) there.

Smthng . similar to what i posted, but it would need many changes to the bike downtube and battery case . Honestly this is just Wooow... for the safety of others ebikes ,thread should be restricted. And i'm the biggest 🥇S /Stromer hater on ebr

Try to get some opinions from the folks @ endlesssphere . That's the Pro forum for ev's esp. ebikes.

I have both a Vado and a Pedago the locks on both are very cheap. On the Pedago all bikes use the same key. My Vado had a battery that was impossible to remove or install with a key thanks to poor engineering. I worry less about a stolen battery than getting the whole bike stolen if left unattended.

I have both a Vado and a Pedago the locks on both are very cheap. On the Pedago all bikes use the same key. My Vado had a battery that was impossible to remove or install with a key thanks to poor engineering. I worry less about a stolen battery than getting the whole bike stolen if left unattended.
Sure, I agree, but the bike i simple to lock to most objects using a high quality U lock or two, but when you can remove the battery i 2 sec I worry that thief's that already has stolen a bike without battery will try to find a specialized battery.

Is is suggested that I remove this thread.
Personally I think its better to alert owners and find solutions.
But it might be (professional) thief`s that prepare by reading this forum (not very likely).
If more members want the thread removed, I will do it, my intentions was pass on valuable information though.

And to get an official reaction from a senior level Specialized employee admitting that this is a design fault and that they will investigate a solution. Produce a fix that covers the gap at the top or propose an additional locking device.

Smthng . similar to what i posted, but it would need many changes to the bike downtube and battery case . Honestly this is just Wooow... for the safety of others ebikes ,thread should be restricted. And i'm the biggest 🥇S /Stromer hater on ebr

Try to get some opinions from the folks @ endlesssphere . That's the Pro forum for ev's esp. ebikes.
Thx, will do, are familiar with endlesssphere, had to be with a Stromer St1 :) Very cool bike, but extremely sensitive electronics. I had to replace display two times, motor, most wiring, often problems with the sensor etc ;)

Is is suggested that I remove this thread.
Personally I think its better to alert owners and find solutions.
And to get an official reaction from a senior level Specialized employee admitting that this is a design fault

It may be Bosch fault as well, since they make the batteries, at least they should have done a test on all the ebikes equipped with this type of battery. B/c for a secure fit, the engineering has to be done on the battery case itself beside the frame. There is a rep. From Bosch here on Ebr- @William - Bosch Team .

I understand that Abus is known as a quality lock maker for many ebike companies. Not sure about Stromer, but the issue with Como/Vado locks seems to have been taken care of, at least on my 2020 bikes. I would think new locks could be purchased from a Specialized or Abus dealer.

I understand that Abus is known as a quality lock maker for many ebike companies. Not sure about Stromer, but the issue with Como/Vado locks seems to have been taken care of, at least on my 2020 bikes. I would think new locks could be purchased from a Specialized or Abus dealer.
That is good news, I will check with my dealer, thx

Yes, it seems to have been taken care of on the 2020 models. Specialized accepted complaints due to crack in the motor/frame attachment and offered me a 2020 Turbo Vado 6.0 in return for my 2017 Turbo Vado 5.0.
AND YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO USE A CREDITCARD TO UNLOCK THE BATTERY.

Attachments

• 2020 Turbo Vado 6.0.jpg
    2020 Turbo Vado 6.0.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 246
Yes, it seems to have been taken care of on the 2020 models. Specialized accepted complaints due to crack in the motor/frame attachment and offered me a 2020 Turbo Vado 6.0 in return for my 2017 Turbo Vado 5.0.
This give me hope! My Turbo Vado 4.0 2022 is having major issues after only 2 weeks of ownership. I hope Specialized takes care of me too!!

Last edited:
How did you do this? I am impressed. One of my motor mount broke. Mine is a 2017 Vado 5.0 too.

I think an easy fix would be to glue a little strip of plastic down as low as you can in the gap so a card would hit that.

Back