Derailleur Upgrade

Hi everyone,
Sorry I had a question on gear ratios. So if I increase the teeth count on my larger 2 or 3 gears, will that make it feel harder to pedal and help drop my cadence?

Would this cassette work with my bike (this one I think Is a little expensive though and again I'm not sure on the gear ratio)

SunRace CM993 11-50T 9 Speed Wide Ratio Cassette, Black, ST1881 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084YXMCJ...abc_DN2YEZV8WCKHZXHJ5ME1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you
You got it backwards. The larger cogs on the rear are your low gears for easy peddling, more torque, slow speed, uphill.... It's just the opposite on the front cog and is where you can increase the tooth count to lower your cadence, increase speed but torque decreases and it would be harder to peddle across all your gears. Sounds like you want to change your front chain wheel to a higher tooth count.

No, the opposite. The more teeth, the lower the gear on the rear cassette. On the front chainring, more teeth will make all your gears higher. Higher gears are harder to pedal.

mods should maybe move some part of this thread to the Allant forum. would not want lectric users confused by this talk of cassettes and 9 speeds

@rawlus
I think that would be good too. Do any of you know who I can ask to do this for me? I think my posts started with number 4 in the thread. This could also go into the general or trek forums. Thank you all and sorry for the confusion.

If you guys let me know who I can ask, I'll see if they can move it for me

@rawlus
I think that would be good too. Do any of you know who I can ask to do this for me? I think my posts started with number 4 in the thread. This could also go into the general or trek forums. Thank you all and sorry for the confusion.

i made a report to mods in this discussion asking for the move and moderation. let’s see how they handle it. cheers.

@rawlus

What is your end result goal you are trying to accomplish? Or what is it about your bike that you hope to improve? In looking at your previous posts it seems like you're trying to fix something that isn't broke and so I feel like I'm missing your intent.

@rawlus

So I spent a little time looking at your posts in other threads. Seems like you are searching for things to improve your bike. The Trek you purchased is a really solid ebike with quality components. The components in the drive train called a "group set" only need replacement as they break or wear out at which time you can then take advantage of the improved version of whatever it is you need to replace Changing gears will only move the gears you use to a different speed number on the shifter. The motor controller prevents more than 28mph so you won't go any faster and it also controls the cadence (how fast you peddle in whatever gear you're in) and even how hard you peddle/how much motor help. Experts in the industry have programmed the controller so the chance that you or someone else can improve upon your bike software is unlikely. Have fun personalizing your bike with accessories like a comfy seat, bike bag, water bottle holder, GoPro video camera to capture your ride and the occasional close call. Educate yourself how to fix a flat & change a broken chain while out riding (Park Tool videos in YouTube) so you can handle the occasional road breakdown emergency. Same videos will teach you how to clean & lube the chain and how to check it for wear along with other maintenance on your bike. Most of all enjoy the ride.

So I spent a little time looking at your posts in other threads. Seems like you are searching for things to improve your bike. The Trek you purchased is a really solid ebike with quality components. The components in the drive train called a "group set" only need replacement as they break or wear out at which time you can then take advantage of the improved version of whatever it is you need to replace Changing gears will only move the gears you use to a different speed number on the shifter. The motor controller prevents more than 28mph so you won't go any faster and it also controls the cadence (how fast you peddle in whatever gear you're in) and even how hard you peddle/how much motor help. Experts in the industry have programmed the controller so the chance that you or someone else can improve upon your bike software is unlikely. Have fun personalizing your bike with accessories like a comfy seat, bike bag, water bottle holder, GoPro video camera to capture your ride and the occasional close call. Educate yourself how to fix a flat & change a broken chain while out riding (Park Tool videos in YouTube) so you can handle the occasional road breakdown emergency. Same videos will teach you how to clean & lube the chain and how to check it for wear along with other maintenance on your bike. Most of all enjoy the ride.
Thanks Johny! Yes I'm loving the bike so far. I've had to get many adjustments done because I'm on the shorter end, and even with a small frame I was struggling with that and also how to get a smoother ride which is coming along.

I appreciate the advice above. I was just going to say that I didn't know the bosch software controls our cadence. I knew it had a limit where it would cutoff, but I didn't know it was fine tuned per gear.

The reason for the second part of this post was because I definitely felt like every great I was in was lighter than it should be - as in there was way too little resistance.

Originally, on my first ride I had a similar issue and all my gears felt too lite to pedal, before I heard a pop noise and then everything snapped back into place and was fine (it's like every gear just suddenly clicked into place).

At any rate, I just wanted to explain why I had been asking. I guess I forgot to explain that above. Everything's coming together and I'm new to ebiking so I do feel in the dark on a lot of things. I have been researching a lot though. One other thing too is that my LBS is a little far and it's been awkward taking it in because they are so busy all the time.

I just wanted to explain that. I do really appreciate your help with everything though.

Trail riding Is soo much fun and im glad to finally get into it. I also find it fun learning how the bike works and how to gradually do things on my own (I'm going to take you up on how to change a flat today, because that's my current skill level and I should probably know how to do that lol)

Sorry again for clogging up the lectric forums and thanks again. I won't post anymore until the thread moves.

PS I've thought of a go pro for my helmet, I just wish they weren't so expensive 😅.

Thanks Johny! Yes I'm loving the bike so far. I've had to get many adjustments done because I'm on the shorter end, and even with a small frame I was struggling with that and also how to get a smoother ride which is coming along.

I appreciate the advice above. I was just going to say that I didn't know the bosch software controls our cadence. I knew it had a limit where it would cutoff, but I didn't know it was fine tuned per gear.

The reason for the second part of this post was because I definitely felt like every great I was in was lighter than it should be - as in there was way too little resistance.

Originally, on my first ride I had a similar issue and all my gears felt too lite to pedal, before I heard a pop noise and then everything snapped back into place and was fine (it's like every gear just suddenly clicked into place).

At any rate, I just wanted to explain why I had been asking. I guess I forgot to explain that above. Everything's coming together and I'm new to ebiking so I do feel in the dark on a lot of things. I have been researching a lot though. One other thing too is that my LBS is a little far and it's been awkward taking it in because they are so busy all the time.

I just wanted to explain that. I do really appreciate your help with everything though.

Trail riding Is soo much fun and im glad to finally get into it. I also find it fun learning how the bike works and how to gradually do things on my own (I'm going to take you up on how to change a flat today, because that's my current skill level and I should probably know how to do that lol)

Sorry again for clogging up the lectric forums and thanks again. I won't post anymore until the thread moves.

PS I've thought of a go pro for my helmet, I just wish they weren't so expensive 😅.
Akaso Brave 4 on Amazon is a nice stand in for a go pro at a fraction of the price. uses all the same mounts and comes with a dozen different ones.

Thanks @rawlus, I never heard of the Akaso brand before! These are way better priced. They look pretty similar to the go-pro as well :)

I'm comparing some of the models now. I think their main Bravo 4 page is not in right now but they have the EK7000 pro which looks very similar. Thanks for mentioning this!

Back