Dash Seems Perfect - Except for that high top bar

PowerMe

After watching Court's review of the Dash and seeing how zippy this bike is, and reading all the positive things the members have to say, I started salivating. But I'm short. Barely 5'0" and standover height is a real issue for me. Those darn top tubes are just too high.

Really wish the Dash came with a lower bar. I like everything else about this eBike but as a very short woman, I'm outta luck on this model. :mad:

hmmm. If you want > 20mph, the next cheapest option is probably something like the eflow Nitro or Flight, which come in low-step frames (those come in high torque or high speed motor versions). They are priced higher than the Dash, but not quite as much as stromer's or specialized turbos.

I don't need over 20mph. The Emotion Evo Jet comes in a smaller size. I just really loved the Dash when I saw it and the review.

Volton has a very nice bike that comes with a step threw frame. It's also about 600$ - 700$ (maybe more?) cheaper than the Dash. The Volton Alation ST-500 is the step threw design of the e-bike I just purchased, the Volton Alation 500. Check it out. I linked it in the green text above.

cheers.

I don't need over 20mph. The Emotion Evo Jet comes in a smaller size. I just really loved the Dash when I saw it and the review.

if you don't need the speed, that really opens up options for you then. Saw your post about not having a great experience at an LBS when checking for ebikes.... see if you can find some other dealers and try what's out there. Don't worry about the naysayers and ride as many as you can try and have fun with it.

I see the 2015 Dash small size frame is spec'd for people 5'0" - 5'6"

I realized that when I do eventually purchase an eBike, I will need a local full-service eBike place to service/fix, because I'm not the type to work on a bike, aside from putting on a water bottle cage, adjust seat height, and put air in my tires. So whatever I eventually choose will need to be a brand that my one local eBike shop can/will service for me. Otherwise I'm stuck, with other shops at least 3 hrs away. Service/support is obviously a big part of the purchase equation.

Last edited:
PowerMe,

Don't always trust the shops to help you in a bind when it comes to these kind of bikes. Unless they are more specifically geared to electric bikes, they do not have a clue on what they are doing. You will end up having to do the service yourself. Trust me, I just encountered this with a faulty bottom bracket sensor that a local shop who sold me this bike ruined installing. I figured out how to install it through the help of online support with Currie with regards to the E3 Dash (or with whatever they sell) and was able to fix this thing myself. In my experience, I would suggest you choose a bike that is to your liking and then deal with it from thereon. I would also recommend getting something where others have said online that the manufacturer stands behind it. I, for one, can tell you that Currie stands behind their products. If you need some help in fixing things, ask a friend to help you who is mechanically inclined. Sometimes we just can't avoid getting our own hands dirty. Plus, it's cheaper to fix things ourselves anyway and saves us a lot of time running to and from the dealer.

I will only purchase my future eBike from an eBike shop, not a regular bike shop. I don't have any mechanically-inclined friends. There is one dedicated eBike shop in my area, and they happen to carry several Currie models including Dash as well as others. I need to secure fixing/maintenance before I pull the trigger.

And that is why eBikes are not more popular. In addition to the increased cost and greater expense to get an eBike, there's also the "fix it for me" factor. Most people who are not hard core cyclists don't want to have to do much more than put air in the tires. I don't work on my car and I don't want to have to work on my bike. My Specialized Hybrid I can drop off at the LBS and they take care of it, it's part of the package. The same is, I think, important for eBikes to gain more traction in the U.S. (pun definitely intended!). I know Currie stands behind their bikes.

PowerMe,

You can’t go wrong with Currie. It’s the shops that I question. All things bicycles, and just about any shop can help you. It’s just the ebikes that most shops are not up to par with. Even an authorized Currie dealer doesn’t guarantee you that they will know how to fix your bike. Like I said, that is who I bought my bike from thinking they would know how to deal with it should anything happen. Well, not all of them do. The shop I bought my bike from surely didn’t (maybe an authorized service center could though). Being that some of us are so far from most of these shops, it behooves us to empower ourselves with knowledge about them.

For the most part, you should not have any trouble; because, after all, they are just bicycles with a battery, throttle and motor added to them; plus sensors to determine cadence and torque, etc. Currie seems to have gotten the problems behind them with the motors and sensors on the 2014 E3 Dash models, so you really shouldn’t need to worry about that should you get a 2015 model. They have even redesigned some of the features, such as the Control Pad and the mounts for the LCD, to make them more stable and useful. And, by the way, should your bike ever stop functioning as an ebike, you can always still pedal and enjoy your bike while trying to find a fix---something we just can't do with a motorcycle or car.

Powerful,

Take a look at the iZip Path +. My eye tell me that it has the same frame, battery power and motor as the Dash. The differences seem to be the lack of front suspension, the swept back handlebars, skinnier tires, fenders and rear rack with battery. It also appears to have a slightly different program (less speedy) and operates using two, rather than three types of sensors. Most importantly, it comes in a low step frame. Rbike has a medium high step frame on eBay for $1399 with a flat $100 shipping rate. Adam at the shop was great to deal with by phone. Seem to me that the Path+ checks most of your boxes and may be just a handlebar swap and front suspension fork away from a Dashish ride. I thought about Rbike's Path+ for my 5'2" wife but I really need to find one locally so she can test that all important stand over height.

Good Luck!

Bud

Hi Bud,

I had my eye on the Path+, and even started a thread in the "compare" section, however Chris Nolte and others mentioned that the Path+ would likely be too big for me as I am only 5'0". I've instead been looking at the Easy Motion Evo Street (2015) model, which comes with 26" tires and a smaller frame size and height. My choices are limited since I'm so short.

Hi Bud,

I had my eye on the Path+, and even started a thread in the "compare" section, however Chris Nolte and others mentioned that the Path+ would likely be too big for me as I am only 5'0". I've instead been looking at the Easy Motion Evo Street (2015) model, which comes with 26" tires and a smaller frame size and height. My choices are limited since I'm so short.

Unless you test ride them ( 30 min), it's hard to say what's best for you.
What matters is the inseam rather than the height. Height is important but the inseam length is different for each person at the same height. So be sure to test ride.
Cheers

Good point, Ravi. With an inseam length of 27" I am proportionately short. I do know I need to test ride any bike I am considering and I plan to do that.

With a Path+ step-thru you do not need to worry about the inseam. There is no top tube to worry about.

Thank you all for the replies. Yes I'm aware the Path+ has a step-thru option. I don't know why Chris Nolte (an eBike retailer very active and respected here) thinks this particular bike might be too large for me, but that's what he has said a couple times. The frame for the step-thru smallest size (M) for the Path+ 2015 model is 17". The Dash 2015 model, as a point of comparison, has a size S frame as an option (15").

It's one of those things I just have to try and see how it fits, if it fits. It remains to be seen if the Path+ step through model in size 'M' fits me or not or is comfortable for me or not.

BTW, there's a dedicated thread set up to discuss and compare the iZip Path+ 2015 vs the Easy Motion Street 2015 here and I'd love to get more comments and invite all to visit:
http://electricbikereview.com/commu...eet-2015-vs-currietech-izip-e3-path-2015.949/

PowerMe - I was just checking and I think the 2015 Path+ Step Thru might fit you, I haven't gotten it into my shop yet, but looking at the geometry it could work. The 2014 step thru was only available in a large size, but the new one has a medium size which may work. If your local bike shop has it, it may be worth a shot.

Thanks Chris!

The local Currie dealer has no 2015 models yet and they don't seem to stock a lot of eBikes in general. I will ask them to order one in a medium size so I can try it. Alternatively, the next time I go to visit my mother in FL I can get to a really good eBike shop nearby that carries Currie and Easy Motion, among other brands, and does a much higher volume of business, so hopefully they will have a variety of eBikes in stock that I can try out.

Thanks Chris!

The local Currie dealer has no 2015 models yet and they don't seem to stock a lot of eBikes in general. I will ask them to order one in a medium size so I can try it. Alternatively, the next time I go to visit my mother in FL I can get to a really good eBike shop nearby that carries Currie and Easy Motion, among other brands, and does a much higher volume of business, so hopefully they will have a variety of eBikes in stock that I can try out.
Cool. Sounds like a good plan :)

Back