Cyrusher Kommoda

billmeek

Region
USA
City
Summertown, TN
Back in August, I saw the Cyrusher Kommoda in the Step-thru thread:

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/step-thru.15620/page-24#post-461755

I thought it was an interesting looking ebike. Since my Sondors LX hadn’t arrived and I didn’t know when I’d get it, I placed an order for the Kommoda Oct 27th when I saw the preorders open up. After the shipping delays (isn’t there always shipping delays these days?) the Kommoda finally arrived yesterday (01/12/2022). Because of work, I didn’t get it assembled until today. With only 1 mile on it, I can’t provide a lot of feed back on the bike. But there are a few minor nit picks:

The plastic to protect the fenders are not only under the bolts, but also under the rivets of the front fender too.

I read a review of the bike that stated the pre-production model they had came with a rear reflector and the production model would have an integrated tail light. I hoped this was true, but it’s not. There is a rear reflector mounted under the rack and there is a battery powered light (not using the bikes battery system) built into the seat.

I’ve had a little problem with the adjustable handlebar stem collapsing. I torqued it hard this time and it seems to be holding for now.

This bike is low to the ground… which can be a good thing. But it's easy to have ground strikes with the pedals when leaning into a turn. Although it looks ready for offroad, this bike is really for riding on flat surfaces.

The front fender provided only uses the one bolt to hold it in place although the forks have attachment points for a brace.

From my little bit of puttering around, it appears the throttle is limited to the PAS setting. I’d much rather have full power available on the throttle at any PAS level. I need to dig thru the advanced settings to see if this can be changed.

A few obligatory photos so you can see a size comparison of the Sondors LX to the much smaller Cyrusher Kommoda:

LX&Kommoda1.JPGLX&Kommoda2.JPGLX&Kommoda3.JPGLX&Kommoda4.JPG

Forgot that I should post a link to the Cyrusher Kommoda webpage:

When you sign up with Cyrusher, they will email you a new customer discount code for $50 off. If you decide to order, you can use this link to get $100 off your first order instead:

Full disclosure, it you use the link above to purchase, I get $50 for the referral.

Back in August, I saw the Cyrusher Kommoda in the Step-thru thread:

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/step-thru.15620/page-24#post-461755

I thought it was an interesting looking ebike. Since my Sondors LX hadn’t arrived and I didn’t know when I’d get it, I placed an order for the Kommoda Oct 27th when I saw the preorders open up. After the shipping delays (isn’t there always shipping delays these days?) the Kommoda finally arrived yesterday (01/12/2022). Because of work, I didn’t get it assembled until today. With only 1 mile on it, I can’t provide a lot of feed back on the bike. But there are a few minor nit picks:

The plastic to protect the fenders are not only under the bolts, but also under the rivets of the front fender too.

I read a review of the bike that stated the pre-production model they had came with a rear reflector and the production model would have an integrated tail light. I hoped this was true, but it’s not. There is a rear reflector mounted under the rack and there is a battery powered light (not using the bikes battery system) built into the seat.

I’ve had a little problem with the adjustable handlebar stem collapsing. I torqued it hard this time and it seems to be holding for now.

This bike is low to the ground… which can be a good thing. But it's easy to have ground strikes with the pedals when leaning into a turn. Although it looks ready for offroad, this bike is really for riding on flat surfaces.

The front fender provided only uses the one bolt to hold it in place although the forks have attachment points for a brace.

From my little bit of puttering around, it appears the throttle is limited to the PAS setting. I’d much rather have full power available on the throttle at any PAS level. I need to dig thru the advanced settings to see if this can be changed.

A few obligatory photos so you can see a size comparison of the Sondors LX to the much smaller Cyrusher Kommoda:

View attachment 111746View attachment 111747View attachment 111748View attachment 111749
I just got the Cyrusher X590 which is being discontinued. I already have a 20" fat tire bike and they are not good on trails with rocks and roots despite looking tough. 20" wheels don't roll over things well and fat tires are not very nimble.

I was also disappointed that the half-twist throttle was aligned with the PAS levels and not independent and available at 0 PAS. I hate cadence assist so I opened up the controller box (a few screws) and unplugged the cadence assist wire. I can now set the PAS to 5 and have full throttle at all times to aument pedalling at will without the cadence assist kicking in.

<snip>

I was also disappointed that the half-twist throttle was aligned with the PAS levels and not independent and available at 0 PAS. I hate cadence assist so I opened up the controller box (a few screws) and unplugged the cadence assist wire. I can now set the PAS to 5 and have full throttle at all times to aument pedalling at will without the cadence assist kicking in.
Any chance you can post a pic of what you did?
Any updates on your opinion of the Komoda?

Although the Cyrusher XF590 is no longer available, the bike was actually
made by another company which still sells it and has 2 different battery options.

I have several other ebikes of various types and sizes. This is a fun little bike that folds quickly and will fit upright in the back of my Hyundai Kona with the rear seats up. It is not very powerful going up hills, but handles very well and is nimble in the woods for a bike with 20" wheels. I have another bike with 20" X 4" fat tires which is very clunky in the woods to the point of being dangerous. These 2.4" tires are just right.

I made the following modifications:
  • Disconnected the PAS cable from inside the controller (opposite the battery when you fold it). This way you set the PAS to 5 and you get full throttle without any PAS.
  • Swapped the 14-28 cassette for a 11-32, so that you don't have to pedal so fast in 7th gear,
  • Replaced the handle bar with something wider and with some rise and removed the front turn signals and associated wires.
  • Replaced the pedals with quick-release ones plus toe clips.
  • Replace the seat and added a suspension seat post (not shown and not really needed since it has a rear suspension).
20220309_220732.jpg

Pedals:
Clips:
Handlebars:
Freewheel and removal tool:

I just got the Cyrusher X590 which is being discontinued. I already have a 20" fat tire bike and they are not good on trails with rocks and roots despite looking tough. 20" wheels don't roll over things well and fat tires are not very nimble.

Maybe that's why they were discontinued, because they are so uncomfortable.

Back