Cube Compact Hybrid 20

btw, which suspension post are you using ? I want to fit one to my bike too.

Regarding the front suspension, I agree, as the tires have a pressure range from 30psi to 65psi you can adjust accordingly. I have 36 at front and 42 at the rear but I am thinking of trying going even closer to 30 for the front tyre.

I think mine is Thudbuster 3.

I have fitted the Cube suspension post bought from dealer. Works OK. Very inexpensive and as I am short in leg seat height remains the same.
I have been waiting for a spanner on the controller to tell me I need a service. Dealer told me it would tell me when the service was due when I bought it.
Over 1K miles no spanner and due to Covid I am reluctant to visit dealer, or anybody. I am now overdue a service and notice a firmware update is due for motor. As I had my first bike (trike) 70 years ago and dozens since am not in favour of having to visit dealers for simple services. Anybody know if the Purion can be updated to something that can take a usb? for DIY updates?.
I have also fitted Ortlieb City small panniers. Really good, simple and quick to remove and use as a shopping bag.

Hello from the Goldfields region of Victoria, Australia. I just received my Cube Compact Sport after a couple of months wait and am delighted. First EBIKE, I ride a roadie and a MTB but we have ferocious headwinds and sometimes help would be welcome. I’ve had Brompton and Dahon folders in the past so small wheels weren’t an issue.
First impressions: range is amazing, over 200 km on a charge appears possible using eco mode and working through the gears on hills. Seatpost needed cutting down as I’m short, around 152 cm. The Cube dealer in Australia is 99 Bikes, who were excellent and made sure all the fitting and safety checks were done before I drove home from Melbourne. They installed the front rack and cut the seatpost for me. I have a Suzuki Ignis (tiny) and it fitted in with rear seats folded and passenger seat back forward. Our country roads are potholed and bumpy with many unmade. The small fat tyres give a stable and forgiving ride even without suspension in fork or post. Freewheeling downhill is a blast, got up to 52 kph yesterday. Motor assist cuts out at 25 kph by law in Australia.
Not sure why this bike is marketed as an urban machine when it’s so good in the country as well.
F4074121-CB87-4DF4-A282-D11426A1E483.jpeg

Reactions: ckc
I'd love some advice. Cube Compact is on my shortlist, as I need lots of power in a smaller package (hello huge hill North Vancouver small apartment living) However they're $4500-5000 to purchase in Canada including tax and that's too much for me currently. Used ones very rarely come up for sale. I found one this weekend that is 2021, 5500 km's but "runs great" for $2800. I'm trying to sort out what I should consider re what will need replacing and buyer-beware. Apparently it has been kept indoors. From my googling, at this mileage the battery might be halfway through its lifetime and the chain is likely due for replacement. Any other considerations? Thanks!

Last edited:
I'd love some advice. Cube Compact is on my shortlist, as I need lots of power in a smaller package (hello huge hill North Vancouver small apartment living) However they're $4500-5000 to purchase in Canada including tax and that's too much for me currently. Used ones very rarely come up for sale. I found one this weekend that is 2021, 5500 km's but "runs great" for $2800. I'm trying to sort out what I should consider re what will need replacing and buyer-beware. Apparently it has been kept indoors. From my googling, at this mileage the battery might be halfway through its lifetime and the chain is likely due for replacement. Any other considerations? Thanks!
Good deal.
At 5500kms battery will still be 90%. Should still be under 2yr Bosch warranty, just make sure it comes with original purchase receipt when you buy it. Budget on service as most likely drivetrain is worn out. NB Bosch motors aren't serviceable, sealed for life.

Reactions: ckc
Good deal.
At 5500kms battery will still be 90%. Should still be under 2yr Bosch warranty, just make sure it comes with original purchase receipt when you buy it. Budget on service as most likely drivetrain is worn out. NB Bosch motors aren't serviceable, sealed for life.
That's very helpful, thank you. I was hoping it would be like my 170 000 km and still-going- strong Toyota :) Yes they have the receipt.

I have now invested in the Sport version and absolutely love it.
Its like a mini Tern but without the £4000 price tag...

View attachment 66198
I just got the front rack for my Compact and I'm having a tough time confirming which link system attaches to it (everything online I can find refers to using bungee cords.) But i'm looking for a more solid set up than bungee cords, similar to what you have. What link system(s) attach to the front rack? Thanks!

Like everyone else, I am loving this bike - here's a shot of it almost fully loaded for a 50 km roundtrip to a spot where I swim, then haul home about 30 lbs of wet neoprene. On this particular day it was incredibly windy and I was glad for the weight coming around certain corners. I've also found a little Leyzne saddle bag that fits on the horizontal frame bar directly behind my water bottle holder when I am travelling light and just need my phone and wallet. Love.
My question: has anyone found a hitch bike rack that works for this frame? I have 2 big road trips coming up and they will be far more comfortable if I can hang this off the back of my vehicle rather than packing it inside. Does the Thule EasyFold work? Thanks!

1683737536842.png

PXL_20230409_181257307.jpg

I like to change to new dampened stem, i guess i need to change fork for this?
Edit, i cut of top of the stem and installed a Redshift shockstop. Much softer ride.
Swapped the balloon tyres to Schwalbe marathon plus 1,75". Had to shim the fenders as the marathon has smaller diameter.
I guess the odometer shows wrong values now?

Last edited:
I like to change to new dampened stem, i guess i need to change fork for this?
Edit, i cut of top of the stem and installed a Redshift shockstop. Much softer ride.
Swapped the balloon tyres to Schwalbe marathon plus 1,75". Had to shim the fenders as the marathon has smaller diameter.
I guess the odometer shows wrong values now?
Ended up swapping fork, Suntour XCM-JR-AIR-SL fits perfect, need to extend tube by 50-100 mm tho

Went back to rigid stock fork, got the new 70 mm wide moto x and no real need for front suspension anymore

The Nexus 5e IHG seems very fragile, i am on the 2nd unit and its starting to fail, 2nd gear is very noisy.

Back