Cube Compact Hybrid 20

Hi there from Athens/Greece.
I got my cube compact hybrid sport at the end of October 2021 and have two questions:
  1. Did anybody had issues fitting the front rack. Specifically I have difficulty screwing all the way in the screws at the bottom.
  2. Has anyone fitted a frame lock? Does it fit in ? I have received an ABUS Pro Shield Plus 5950 NR Frame Lock and it seems as if it doesn't fit mostly due the rear fender.
An update regarding the questions above:
  1. I did not want to force the screws so I went to my local service spot and the responsible cut the screws to resolve the issue.
  2. The same man measured the frame lock and concluded that unfortunately it does not fit in my cycle. Waste of money ordering one keyed alike. I have now discovered that Abus produces a bigger one that obviously can fit but this does not support the keyed alike option. Therefore I have decided to use the one I got on another cycle that usually travels with me.

Finally, I would like to ask if somebody has tried both cube compacts (sport and the one with the 5 internal gears) to outline the main differences - not the technical but how different they are during cycling. I mainly wonder how smoother the non-sport is. For me, the extra power the sport has is rarely needed. Also, my local service shop, during the first service and adjustments procedure that performed about 2 weeks ago at 600k kilometres seems to have misadjusted the 10 gears the cycle has. Now gear changes are loud and not as smooth as they where. I guess that would not be possible with the non-sport model with the internal gears (I have no experience of internal gears).

Anyway, I plan to visit my local service shop again on Monday hoping that he will resolve the issue he created. This time I will also bring the battery with me hoping that this would assist better testing and adjustment.

1. I did not want to force the screws so I went to my local service spot and the responsible cut the screws to resolve the issue.
  2. The same man measured the frame lock and concluded that unfortunately it does not fit in my cycle. Waste of money ordering one keyed alike. I have now discovered that Abus produces a bigger one that obviously can fit but this does not support the keyed alike option. Therefore I have decided to use the one I got on another cycle that usually travels with me.

Finally, I would like to ask if somebody has tried both cube compacts (sport and the one with the 5 internal gears) to outline the main differences - not the technical but how different they are during cycling. I mainly wonder how smoother the non-sport is. For me, the extra power the sport has is rarely needed. Also, my local service shop, during the first service and adjustments procedure that performed about 2 weeks ago at 600k kilometres seems to have misadjusted the 10 gears the cycle has. Now gear changes are loud and not as smooth as they where. I guess that would not be possible with the non-sport model with the internal gears (I have no experience of internal gears).

Anyway, I plan to visit my local service shop again on Monday hoping that he will resolve the issue he created. This time I will also bring the battery with me hoping that this would assist better testing and adjustment.
Hi...
I also had problems fitting the rack, especially the lower bolts, but got there in the end.
The main reason for replying is the thorny issue of the frame lock.
The local dealer ordered one which didn’t fit, so I emailed Cube in Germany and asked the which one would fit and they confirmed which one fitted.
I was over the moon! It arrived and I started to fit it.... it fitted over the mudguard and the tyre..... I thought that at last I’d got the correct one... BUT the two lugs on the frame got in the way and there was no way to secure the lock to the frame.
I’ve had this type of lock on several of my previous bikes and they were first class. (Obviously I didn’t need them on my three Bromptons).
As well as simple extra security, one of the main uses was to act as a “hand brake” to stop the bike rolling down the hill outside my local shop which is on a steep hill.
If my Cube had been old and battered I’d have been tempted to get the angle grinder out and remove the frame lugs and the lock would have been perfect, but on a pristine new bike I couldn’t bring myself to do it.

Hi...
I also had problems fitting the rack, especially the lower bolts, but got there in the end.
The main reason for replying is the thorny issue of the frame lock.
The local dealer ordered one which didn’t fit, so I emailed Cube in Germany and asked the which one would fit and they confirmed which one fitted.
I was over the moon! It arrived and I started to fit it.... it fitted over the mudguard and the tyre..... I thought that at last I’d got the correct one... BUT the two lugs on the frame got in the way and there was no way to secure the lock to the frame.
I’ve had this type of lock on several of my previous bikes and they were first class. (Obviously I didn’t need them on my three Bromptons).
As well as simple extra security, one of the main uses was to act as a “hand brake” to stop the bike rolling down the hill outside my local shop which is on a steep hill.
If my Cube had been old and battered I’d have been tempted to get the angle grinder out and remove the frame lugs and the lock would have been perfect, but on a pristine new bike I couldn’t bring myself to
I have been a great fan of Brompton for many years, latterly having a Brompton Electric 6 speed..... the fact you couldn't change power without stopping and pressing a button on the battery was "inconvenient" to be polite about it! Also wheelspin from the front hub was dangerous on even slightly gravelly surfaces found at the edge of many roads.... so it had to go!
I wanted a Bosch crank drive bike which wouldn't take up too much room in the garage.
I saw the publicity for the Cube Compact and went for a test ride.... I was so impressed I bought one straight away.
I really wanted the "Sport" version with the slightly more powerful motor but Cube had run out of them.
I'm so pleased I didn't get the sport as I think the "mech" seemed to hang very close to the ground and who really needs 10 gears on an electric bike?
I'm 6'7" and about 17 stone living in a VERY hilly area. I cannot believe the power from the new Bosch Active Line Plus motor, it's unbelievable and the twist grip 5 speed gear change is very slick... also the motor is so quiet I can't hear it above the noise from the tyres on the road.
The way I can fold the handlebars through 90 degrees makes storage an absolute dream... no more complaints about the handlebars catching SWMBO as she walks past it.
View attachment 59454

Firstly I stand by my comments about how fantastic the Cube Compact 20 bike. It’s so smooth on the road with the bungee tyres and the 5 speed internal hub gearing is a delight to use... smoother than a derailleur and zero maintenance.
Late 2020 I got the bike serviced, having covered about 100 miles and sadly just after that I fell up some steps and fangled my good knee... now my other knee, which was replaced three years ago is my good knee!
I now feel, with two “iffy” knees, nerve damage in a delicate area and coming up 70 I’m going to bite the bullet and sell it.
A great friend of mine who lived close by, left the North East of England two years ago and moved to Mallorca as he found the heat was so much kinder to his arthritic joints than the North East climate.......
When I get time I suppose I’ll have to put it in the Classified section with more photos, but I suppose the only thing extra to show that isn’t in my initial photo would be the front rack and quick release Ortlieb bag which are a real boon for a day trip out.

If they fail to adjust the gears on the first service of a new bike I would probably steer away from them and find another bike shop I can trust :)

Firstly I stand by my comments about how fantastic the Cube Compact 20 bike. It’s so smooth on the road with the bungee tyres and the 5 speed internal hub gearing is a delight to use... smoother than a derailleur and zero maintenance.
Late 2020 I got the bike serviced, having covered about 100 miles and sadly just after that I fell up some steps and fangled my good knee... now my other knee, which was replaced three years ago is my good knee!
I now feel, with two “iffy” knees, nerve damage in a delicate area and coming up 70 I’m going to bite the bullet and sell it.
A great friend of mine who lived close by, left the North East of England two years ago and moved to Mallorca as he found the heat was so much kinder to his arthritic joints than the North East climate.......
When I get time I suppose I’ll have to put it in the Classified section with more photos, but I suppose the only thing extra to show that isn’t in my initial photo would be the front rack and quick release Ortlieb bag which are a real boon for a day trip out.

This is now in the Classified Section... for UK readers!

Does anyone know how to check if the gear change sensor works properly? It seems that mine is not working and my local service shop does not know much about it. Possibly that is the reason my gear changes are not as good as they were - I wrote about that earlier...

I think the sensor is internal to the motor and has no external parts. Don't expect miracles, it just eases off part of the support under heavy changes. You cant feel it actually.
If you want long life on the transmission components you still have to ease of pedaling on each change when under load. If you just spin the pedals with huge torque then its OK to not to.
You will be able to tell by the transmission noises 😅

Check the derailleur hanger alignment and the derailleur adjustments.
In addition clean the chain with a cleaning device and use some good oil on each and every link of the chain. Reverse rotate a few times and then wipe off the excess with a clean cloth.

A well maintained transmission can sound almost silent.

Last edited:
That was the reason, more lubrication was needed.

Now I have another question, I almost got a puncture (just removed a nail but the angle was huge so tube seems unaffected). I did almost 20 km with the nail in the tire , I know that as I was listening to it from the very beginning of my commute. Therefore I thought that it would be a good idea to be prepared for the future in case I get a real puncture. I know that the tyre we have is the super moto-x and thinking of getting one or two from bike24 but have no idea what tube we need. Ooops! Just noticed the the tire is not in stock there! Delivery time 18-19 weeks!

Regarding the tubes from my research i guess this air plus is suitable. Correct ?
Generally i would like suggestions for tires and tubes. Have in mind that the roads here are bad, I bike with a front suspension would be better suited than ours.
Thanks

That was the reason, more lubrication was needed.

Now I have another question, I almost got a puncture (just removed a nail but the angle was huge so tube seems unaffected). I did almost 20 km with the nail in the tire , I know that as I was listening to it from the very beginning of my commute. Therefore I thought that it would be a good idea to be prepared for the future in case I get a real puncture. I know that the tyre we have is the super moto-x and thinking of getting one or two from bike24 but have no idea what tube we need. Ooops! Just noticed the the tire is not in stock there! Delivery time 18-19 weeks!

Regarding the tubes from my research i guess this air plus is suitable. Correct ?
Generally i would like suggestions for tires and tubes. Have in mind that the roads here are bad, I bike with a front suspension would be better suited than ours.
Thanks

Check this site too:

And this is the tube I would use:

I have a Cube 20 sport which I bought in September. I love it.
It is indeed a little powerhouse. It's comfy, stops brilliantly and handles so well.
After being in hospital with Covid 19 for a month, it is an ideal bike for rehabilitation. I dont have to cock my leg over a top tube and the power helps with my breathlessness.
I do have one problem. I got a flat. The tyres are too tight to get off easily. I ruined the wire rim with metal tyre levers after snapping my resin ones
Does anyone have any advice?

Mine has been great over the lockdown. I have the front pannier which I attach a basket with velcro straps for shopping. Rear panniers off my old folder as they are nice and small and the frame lock. I had no trouble getting the lock but it is important to get the correct one 5750. The key is the same as the battery and it has a chain if you need to lock it to a lamppost which is in its own carrier under the seat. I emailed Cube and Bosch to get the part numbers. Before the frame lock arrived I used a coiled wire bike lock that chipped the paint badly when it sprung back. I also had folding peddles fitted as my dealer is not close. With the peddles and bars folded it goes in my car (Prius) boot a treat.

Attachments

• 20210326_122502.jpg
    20210326_122502.jpg
    746.6 KB · Views: 489
Mine has been great over the lockdown. I have the front pannier which I attach a basket with velcro straps for shopping. Rear panniers off my old folder as they are nice and small and the frame lock. I had no trouble getting the lock but it is important to get the correct one. The key is the same as the battery and it has a chain if you need to lock it to a lamppost which is in its own carrier under the seat. I emailed Cube and Bosch to get the part numbers. Before the frame lock arrived I used a coiled wire bike lock that chipped the paint badly when it sprung back. I also had folding peddles fitted as my dealer is not close. With the peddles and bars folded it goes in my car (Prius) boot a treat.
Where did you get the 5750 from abus from ?
My dealer ordered it from Abus giving the key number for the battery. You need to endure it is the big tyre version. If I can find the email from Abus I will put a link on the post. Be warned it ain't cheap.

This is a copy of mail
The fitting frame lock for this bike is our 5750L and you can also order it matching to your battery lock if it is a Plus System.

If you have any further question feel free to contact us at any time.

Kind regards

André Wagner
Kunden-Servicecenter Mobile Sicherheit

Telefon:
Telefax:
PC-Fax:
E-Mail:
+49 23 35 634-1270
+49 23 35 634-350
+49 23 35 634 11270
[email protected]

ABUS | August Bremicker Söhne KG
abus.com
________

Altenhofer Weg 25 · 58300 Wetter · Germany
Telefon: +49 23 35 634-0

I have a Cube 20 sport which I bought in September. I love it.
It is indeed a little powerhouse. It's comfy, stops brilliantly and handles so well.
After being in hospital with Covid 19 for a month, it is an ideal bike for rehabilitation. I dont have to cock my leg over a top tube and the power helps with my breathlessness.
I do have one problem. I got a flat. The tyres are too tight to get off easily. I ruined the wire rim with metal tyre levers after snapping my resin ones
Does anyone have any advice?
Funny I got a flat first time out.. My dealer fitted a hew tube and could find no cause but guessed it was a thorne. Second time out a crank fell off and lost the bolt. Dealer fitted a new crank since then it has been fine. I used the tyre pressure to the max. I do find lots of ebikes pass me at an indicated 15.5 mph max. On the coast cycleway. Not sure how they get the extra speed but it gets hard to peddle above the limit.
The tyre tubes are supposed to be "double defence" so I was surprised to get a puncture so maybe it was in manufacturing

I haven't read all the detailed posts yet, so forgive me if this has been answered, I thought I had read that the battery recharge time was 11.2 hours. Was that a misprint - on Court's review page? It can't take that long can it? And the one other question - and again, this might already be answered, but what kind of distance are you getting on a full change. Otherwise, if you haven't posted in a while on this string, now that you've got some decent miles behind you, are you enjoying the bike as much now as early on, and if you had to do it again, would you buy it or get a different type/style/model of bike? I'm curious if perhaps, a novelty factor might wear off.

thx,

Stuart

I haven't read all the detailed posts yet, so forgive me if this has been answered, I thought I had read that the battery recharge time was 11.2 hours. Was that a misprint - on Court's review page? It can't take that long can it? And the one other question - and again, this might already be answered, but what kind of distance are you getting on a full change. Otherwise, if you haven't posted in a while on this string, now that you've got some decent miles behind you, are you enjoying the bike as much now as early on, and if you had to do it again, would you buy it or get a different type/style/model of bike? I'm curious if perhaps, a novelty factor might wear off.

thx,

Stuart
On page 10 of the official Bosch Battery Guide you can see the charging times of all combinations ;)

Last edited:
I am thinking seriously about buying the Cube Compact Hybrid to carry inside my camper van. I had looked at the Tern HSD but I really don’t need the cargo carrying capacity. It really bothers me that there is not a front suspension fork. Have you missed not having the front suspension?

I am thinking seriously about buying the Cube Compact Hybrid to carry inside my camper van. I had looked at the Tern HSD but I really don’t need the cargo carrying capacity. It really bothers me that there is not a front suspension fork. Have you missed not having the front suspension?
The Tern HSD is a fantastic bike.
But it costs twice as much as the Cube Compact. We bought two Compacts for the price of one HSD. My wife has one and I have one. We use for commuting around town and on the back of our Campervan.
Totally love these bikes, they’ve been brilliant.

The front suspension fork is a nice touch. To be honest, the suspension seat post I fitted has been more beneficial IMO.
I run my tyres with low PSI and the ride comfort is greatly improved.

btw, which suspension post are you using ? I want to fit one to my bike too.

Regarding the front suspension, I agree, as the tires have a pressure range from 30psi to 65psi you can adjust accordingly. I have 36 at front and 42 at the rear but I am thinking of trying going even closer to 30 for the front tyre.

Back