Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO Vs SL Expert

Beautiful bikes. These are essentially the two bikes I am considering! I love the blue color of the Expert...no longer available for 2021. For 2021 they have a monochromatic grey color that I like. You can see photos of a members creo Expert earlier in this thread.

I must say the bike also looks great in black.

So as I am planning to decide between these two models and you own both versions -do you have any words of wisdom?

Best,
Mvbike

@wmason -
Thanks. I guess it wasn't a bad thing that it was the only color available at the time. That said, it's always nice to have options. :)

@mvbike -
I don't think that you'll be disappointed with either from a stand point of ride, handling, etc…Convenience and super precise shifting of Di2 and the carbon Roval wheels are the standout on the Exp as wmason pointed out. You’ll just have to justify spending extra for stepping up. In my mind, it was worth it but not everyone will agree…but I'm okay with that. I also have a set of WTB Riddlers in standby in the event I want to do gravel which speaks for the versatility of these bikes.

From what I understand, road remotes will come standard on select 2021 MY Creos which, in my mind, is a huge benefit.

Thanks for the feedback! I am also planning on have a pair of 38mm tires for offroad use regardless of whether I go with the comp or expert as I like the non evo colors for both model lines. This is a tough decision but am leaning towards the Expert...will decide soon!

Here is shot of our 2020 Creos taken earlier in the fall. My wife’s Satin Comp Carbon and my Cast Battleship Blue Exp, Pretty much concur with the input provided by the other Creo owners here. Love our Creos and can’t wait for spring to arrive.
View attachment 75306
Great looking bikes. I am also torn on color and what level to go with. I don't want to spend 9000 but you do get some nice options with the Expert level.

I recently bought the MY21 Creo Expert EVO in Forest green. I was torn as well but just knew I would want to upgrade wheels at a minimum and liked this color the best of all years and models. The fact it came with Di2 and road remotes was icing on the cake. Not to be overlooked is the fact the 21’s come with a stock chain keeper. I have read multiple posts of folks dropping the chain to the inside and potentially damaging the frame and paint at the bottom bracket. I did replace the dropper post for the Terra carbon, which I prefer. I also really like the Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 38c tires for the mixed roads I mostly ride. It is definitely an individual decision as everyone’s needs and wants are different.
C05F4AA4-4E8F-4166-93A1-FBDA7B21684B.jpeg399F7917-40CF-4D2F-A89F-EBFDA780121E.jpeg9F702692-92B8-4D66-970F-4BE7EE56B9A2.jpeg

I ride a 2020 Carbon Comp Evo and I chose exactly this model. Even if the R470 wheels are lousy and a disappointment for a expensive carbon bike (heavy and weak and to narrow for Evo/offroad). But I personally do not like Di2 and I mostly go offroad/"graveling". Also the 2020er Roval carbon wheels were still a littel bit to narrow for this. Luckily the color of the 2020 Comp Evo was also my preferred one...

The "Evo" stuff on the Evo versions is not a big thing I realized after riding it a while. The handle bar flare is quite small, the tires or ok but nothing special and the dropper post is a very cheap one, also on the Expert EVO. And I don't think that you don't need it very often on a gravel bike. So I took it off and prefer to have lesse weight, cleaner optic and less parts/mechanics to care. In the 5 months afterwards I had one situation where it would have been nice but not essential. And one on a trip with mountain bikers, where I walked one hill downhill. It was so steep and rocky and slippery, that the dropper posts alone would not have helped, only much wider tires with more grip, better brakes/bigger discs and more suspension. When you put all this together, you have a MTB...

It seems the only extra extra of the 2021er expert versions to 2020 is the remote control. But I guess you can buy it separately and add it later if you miss it.
I would go for the Expert version if you want/need ALL extras, so DI2, remote control and the narrow Roval carbon wheels, so if you go mostly onroad/asphalt. If offroad/gravel is your main thing, I would take wider wheels/rims. Some weeks ago, the 2021 Expert models had the Roval Terra CLX wheels ond the Specialized website, which are wider and more suited for gravel/offroad. Seems it was mistake, as they come now only with the S-Works version and in the wheel section they are listed with twice the price of the C38 and a really nice weight...

Here is shot of our 2020 Creos taken earlier in the fall. My wife’s Satin Comp Carbon and my Cast Battleship Blue Exp, Pretty much concur with the input provided by the other Creo owners here. Love our Creos and can’t wait for spring to arrive.
View attachment 75306
How hard is it to keep the Satin Carbon looking good? Is the finish holding up well? Thanks

How hard is it to keep the Satin Carbon looking good? Is the finish holding up well? Thanks
I don’t think that it's any more difficult to maintain than any other CF frame bike. We've never felt it necessary to hose the bikes down and find that simply wiping the frame down with a bucket clean water and a towel or spritzing with some quick detailer does the job. I guess it just depends on the conditions your bike is exposed to on rides. Finish still looks minty.

The 2021 Creo SL Expert that I own in Smoke/Black/Carbon is easy to take care of. Damp microfiber cloth after every ride seems to work quite well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 3.14.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 3.14.04 PM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 364
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 3.17.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 3.17.33 PM.png
    855.7 KB · Views: 399
The 2020 Comp Carbon also sports holographic reflective decals. Not sure how I feel about them although they do add a bit of bling which my better half appreciates. ;)
IMG_20200830_1430495.jpg

@Prairie Dog Since your family owns both the bikes I am considering, I would love to know if you notice any major differences in the way the Expert rides versus the Comp. I really love the Comp Carbon in black - it really makes it look like a normal bike which I happen to like.

I am leaning towards the Comp based on the color.

Just wondering if you have any insights of the way the two bike rides and perform. I know I will be giving up DI2 with the Comp - the real question I have is the how different the Carbon wheels feel on the Expert? Do they improve the ride quality (smoother)? What benefits are you experiencing?

Any insights would be most appreciated!

Mvbike

@Prairie Dog Since your family owns both the bikes I am considering, I would love to know if you notice any major differences in the way the Expert rides versus the Comp. I really love the Comp Carbon in black - it really makes it look like a normal bike which I happen to like.

I am leaning towards the Comp based on the color.

Just wondering if you have any insights of the way the two bike rides and perform. I know I will be giving up DI2 with the Comp - the real question I have is the how different the Carbon wheels feel on the Expert? Do they improve the ride quality (smoother)? What benefits are you experiencing?

Any insights would be most appreciated!

Mvbike
I haven't logged much time on my wife's CC but I would have to say that that it isn't giving up much in terms of performance when compared to the Exp with the exception of some higher end components ie Ultegra vs GRX and overall weight. I do have to admit that Di2 is a feature that I would feel hard pressed to give up and the Roval wheels are lighter compared to the CC’s DT Swiss. I don’t think you would be disappointed with either but if you are craving the whole enchilada, the Exp is the way to go, IMO. If it's simply your preference of the CC's color then go with your gut. I only have to look at the grin on my wife's face to know that she's enjoying her rides on the CC. ;)

The shop where I purchased our bikes from only had one of each in stock in our sizes so it wasn’t like we had several models to choose from.

Thank you as I am torn between the two bikes also. I would think if I do the Expert I should go with the 2021. I love the 2020 gunmetal color though and Specialized is still showing a few larges in stock.
Thanks again

Back