Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO Vs SL Expert

The effect of good carbon wheels is not that big, you will not notice it that much in tours in your free time. On the other hand, the Creo is such a great and light and already expensive e-bike, even more in a carbon version. It would be a shame to ride it with labile and heavy wheels jsut to save a few bucks and the R470DB wheels are all of that.
But if you pay the high price for good carbon wheels or the expert version, the wheels should fit perfectly for you and your needs. The roval C38 are surely good for an "normal" rider on the road, but they are not wide enough for gravel/EVO use. Of course you can do it with 20mm inner width, but for $1000-1500 extra they should be perfect. Also a heavier rider could need some more spokes. So if we only talk about the wheels, it may an alternative to take the Comp Carbon and order a good individual set at a good wheelbuilder (who can handle the 12x110 in the front...). As I'm fat and love gravel and don't like Di2, that's the way I went.

The effect of good carbon wheels is not that big, you will not notice it that much in tours in your free time. On the other hand, the Creo is such a great and light and already expensive e-bike, even more in a carbon version. It would be a shame to ride it with labile and heavy wheels jsut to save a few bucks and the R470DB wheels are all of that.
But if you pay the high price for good carbon wheels or the expert version, the wheels should fit perfectly for you and your needs. The roval C38 are surely good for an "normal" rider on the road, but they are not wide enough for gravel/EVO use. Of course you can do it with 20mm inner width, but for $1000-1500 extra they should be perfect. Also a heavier rider could need some more spokes. So if we only talk about the wheels, it may an alternative to take the Comp Carbon and order a good individual set at a good wheelbuilder (who can handle the 12x110 in the front...). As I'm fat and love gravel and don't like Di2, that's the way I went.
Does anyone know the weight difference between the Roval wheels and the DT wheels that come on the Carbon Comp?

The Roval C38 set is listed with 1560g, the R470DB with 1670g. Not that much difference, but for a 65% higher rim and a much stronger wheel, but this roval rim is not that special/light I think. I had an offer from a good wheel builder with 1565g, 28 spokes, similar price and similar parts and also 38mm rims, but 25mm wide. So with a light and good road rim 20mm wide in this price class you should get near 1500g. With more money for for example DT240 hubs and even better rims you can get 1300-1400g.

The Roval C38 set is listed with 1560g, the R470DB with 1670g. Not that much difference, but for a 65% higher rim and a much stronger wheel, but this roval rim is not that special/light I think. I had an offer from a good wheel builder with 1565g, 28 spokes, similar price and similar parts and also 38mm rims, but 25mm wide. So with a light and good road rim 20mm wide in this price class you should get near 1500g. With more money for for example DT240 hubs and even better rims you can get 1300-1400g.
Thank you!

@jodi2 Thanks for the reply and advice-I think your points were on the money as I will mostly be riding alone and only occasionally in a group. I happen to really love the Comp Carbon in Black - everything blends together (including the motor) making it look less like an eBike. The color preference, my usage and the fact that 40%+ of the time I intend to go off road is swaying me towards this bike- not to mention a $2,500 saving. I actually would enjoy Di2 but it is not a deal breaker for me as I think the 105 shifting is very crisp and precise - going to electronic is a nice to have for me. I have it on another bike and like it but I also ride another bike without it and I just don't think it justifies the cost difference for me and my usage. In the end I think the black color is calling me....

But the decision between expert or comp carbon has nothin to do with gravel or not. And as i already wrote the differences between road and evo versions are not that big. Most riders change the tires very soon, rims are only 20mm wide at both version (if you don't go for the S-Works...). The biggest difference is the dropper post, but many people (like me...) do not need it on a gravel bike and the one at comp and expert is a cheap and heavy one.
I would only go for the expert, if I can make best use of ALL extras, so Di2 AND the wheels. I don't know the Roval C38 for road use, but for gravel they are to narrow. The R470DB as well and I guess even worse/weaker and 110g heavier, but it does not hurt to put them away. Order extra a good&light carbon wheelset from a good wheelbuilder exactly for your needs and you have for $1000 less a better bike for gravel than the expert with the C38. If you are a light rider and want to use only tires up to 30-33mm or if you do almost no gravel (and you like Di2), go for the expert. Or if you already know that you want/need two wheel sets, for example one for road, one for gravel, than take the expert plus a good wheelset for gravel.

Thanks for the reply and advice-I think your points were on the money as I will mostly be riding alone and only occasionally in a group. I happen to really love the Comp Carbon in Black - everything blends together (including the motor) making it look less like an eBike. The color preference, my usage and the fact that 40%+ of the time I intend to go off road is swaying me towards this bike- not to mention a $2,500 saving. I actually would enjoy Di2 but it is not a deal breaker for me as I think the 105 shifting is very crisp and precise - going to electronic is a nice to have for me. I have it on another bike and like it but I also ride another bike without it and I just don't think it justifies the cost difference for me and my usage. In the end I think the black color is calling me....
I went for the Comp Carbon evo as the price difference in my eyes was nowhere near worth it, However if you do want the Expert look around for discounts as I have seen quite a few at a lower price in dealers.

The most flawless Creo is the S-Works and I would buy it/the price would be adequate if it would be at the expert level...

Thanks again @jodi2 for the thoughtful reply. I get what you are saying. I was actually thinking that I would not want to ride the more expensive carbon wheels off road and in gravel. If I buy the comp I will probably put a set of 38mm tires on it to give me the flex. to ride road and gravel. And perhaps down the road buy upgraded wheels. However, be aware that due to boost spacing on the Creo (larger axle) only certain wheel hubs will work. And you cannot buy the C38 wheels even though they are listed - you have to buy the more expensive Roval wheels (Terra CLX I think) that are $2500. At that point you might as well gone with the expert.
I went for the Comp Carbon evo as the price difference in my eyes was nowhere near worth it, However if you do want the Expert look around for discounts as I have seen quite a few at a lower price in dealers.
@Amoto65 Can you give me a sense of the discounts being offered by other dealers as I have not made a purchase yet and this would be useful information. Thanks!

Thanks again @jodi2 for the thoughtful reply. I get what you are saying. I was actually thinking that I would not want to ride the more expensive carbon wheels off road and in gravel. If I buy the comp I will probably put a set of 38mm tires on it to give me the flex. to ride road and gravel. And perhaps down the road buy upgraded wheels. However, be aware that due to boost spacing on the Creo (larger axle) only certain wheel hubs will work. And you cannot buy the C38 wheels even though they are listed - you have to buy the more expensive Roval wheels (Terra CLX I think) that are $2500. At that point you might as well gone with the expert.

@Amoto65 Can you give me a sense of the discounts being offered by other dealers as I have not made a purchase yet and this would be useful information. Thanks!
I have seen no discounting in the US for the Expert.

Fair point , I am in England where the Creo is not so popular, Have seen it discounted from £7500 to £6500.
Thanks. I did get a small discount from our local dealer on a Carbon Comp in stock. Probably need to suck it up and just buy the thing. I keep going back in forth between that bike and going with an Expert. I plan to do only road riding.

Thanks. I did get a small discount from our local dealer on a Carbon Comp in stock. Probably need to suck it up and just buy the thing. I keep going back in forth between that bike and going with an Expert. I plan to do only road riding.
@drodg I feel your pain!

@drodg I feel your pain!
You only live once. The Creo is a state of the art machine. Think about the extra $$$ to buy the Expert amortized over a year or two. It won't hurt that bad and you won't have to think about carbon wheel upgrade every time you ride with people who already have them. The combination of a perfectly integrated motor, software, electronic shifting, and carbon wheels is pure joy.

You only live once. The Creo is a state of the art machine. Think about the extra $$$ to buy the Expert amortized over a year or two. It won't hurt that bad and you won't have to think about carbon wheel upgrade every time you ride with people who already have them. The combination of a perfectly integrated motor, software, electronic shifting, and carbon wheels is pure joy. Way more meaningful than the damn color :).

If you are a light rider and want to use only tires up to 30-33mm or if you do almost no gravel (and you like Di2), go for the expert.
This is the exact category that I fall into. I weigh roughly 136 lbs and am strictly a road rider during the summer months. In the winter, I rely on my standard steel rigid MTB to help with my conditioning.

We wanted to buy local but there was nothing available here at the time. I ended up purchasing the Creos from an out-of-province shop and also received a discount for the pair. The bikes were shipped at their cost and were virtually assembled in the box when we took delivery.

I was actually thinking that I would not want to ride the more expensive carbon wheels off road and in gravel. If I buy the comp I will probably put a set of 38mm tires on it to give me the flex. to ride road and gravel. And perhaps down the road buy upgraded wheels. However, be aware that due to boost spacing on the Creo (larger axle) only certain wheel hubs will work.
(Good) Carbon wheels offroad are no problem, as well es a carbon frame are no problem/not more sensible than alloy ones.
Yes, the front dimension 12x110 is difficult to find, ready made wheels are only a few form DTSwiss. But for a good wheel builder it's not a problem, at least with DTSwiss 350 und 240 hubs, where they can change the outer parts to fit also our front boost standard.

Here in Germany (or all over the world?) the Specialized dealers live in another sphere and mostly offer 0% discount. Sometimes 3%, with a lot of effort I found one nearby who gave at least 5%. With brands/dealers 10-20% is usual, even with new models.

You only live once. The Creo is a state of the art machine. Think about the extra $$$ to buy the Expert amortized over a year or two. It won't hurt that bad and you won't have to think about carbon wheel upgrade every time you ride with people who already have them. The combination of a perfectly integrated motor, software, electronic shifting, and carbon wheels is pure joy.
If the Roval C38 wheels fit exactly your needs like for PrairieDog. If not, you get the better bike and more joy with a Comp Carbon and a handmade wheelset.

I am torn between the Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO and the Creo SL Expert (2021 model). The reason I am choosing the the non-EVO version of the Expert is color related - I basically like the Smoke/ Black/ Carbon color. I would actually ask the dealer to swap of the tires for the wider 38mm version found on the EVO if I go the SL Expert route.

The Comp Carbon EVO is $6,750 while the 2021 Expert is a spendy $9,000. What you get for the money is Ultegra Elect. shifting, carbon wheels, and the road remote (the ability to change modes on the handlebar-this does really appeal to me). These upgrades do seem worth it but I really don't think the bike will ride appreciably better - any input from anyone who has had experience with either of these models would be appreciated!

Best,
MVBIKE
I have a 2021 Creo SL Turbo Creo Expert (Marketing types !!).
A couple of comments, it's a pretty nice bike and for an e-bike too too heavy.
About six months old.
1. Do not buy a white bike.
2. I have a constant problem with the chain dropping off the outside of the chain ring, in spite of a 'chain catcher' and a few visits back to the LBS. This is a known problem, see this forum for discussion. Putting chain back on with a chain catcher is not easy. A real issue for me and it's not yet solved.
Cheers,
Softman

I just wanted to say that I found this thread really useful when deciding which Creo model to get. I ended up choosing the Expert as I have electronic shifting on my other bike and really like it. My LBS matched the lowest internet deal that I could find, so I was happy enough with that. Since then, I have been swapping out bits to make the bike work better for me and my intended use which is fast Gravel/Touring. Today I threw on my tubeless Conti Terra Speed 40's and installed the Planet3 speed derestrictor.

Next on the list are narrower bars with more integrated cables and a SRAM XX1 10-42 cassette coupled with a 48t chainring to stop me spinning out at higher speeds.

I can see this bike being a great (light) gravel and good touring companion for a few years.

Cheers,
Alex

Attachments

• IMG_1226.jpeg
    IMG_1226.jpeg
    762.1 KB · Views: 417
Back