Could there be a way to list where we live?

rich c

The forum has world-wide participants. We get a mix of kph and mph and questions about obscure European cycles. We also get questions about battery life and the poster may not include their location where heat or cold could really make a difference. Would it be helpful to have location information under the contributor's name? Also a suggestion for contributors to list both Imperial and Metric units would be appreciated. Luckily I can just ask Siri, but a conversion in the post would sure benefit everyone.

I'm all in favor of that. Most social media sites give you the option to list your demographics or not. Even to have that information visible by hovering over the member's avatar would be an improvement. I'd like to see the member's primary ebike model and type of rider they are (recreation, commuter, etc) too if the member wants to disclose it.

Rich ...
My avatar displays my real name, my photo (exactly what I looked liked in 2009!), my present age (74) and where I live (Ipswich in Queensland, Australia). It's always available for anyone to see.

I know your first name and present age. I know that PCDoctorUSA lives in Aiea, Hawaii.
... David

PC Doc ...
It's good to put a face to your forum name!
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say that are several here that know my real name because of private conversations I've had with them. I've never had anyone use my real name in a public post and likewise I would never use anything but their screen name.

While this doesn’t trickle down to visibility right here at the forum posting level, I believe you can choose to reveal your location on your Profile page. You have to populate the field then, I think, activate the Settings feature that lets others see it...?
If you click my user name right here in this post you get a pop up with like, my forum stats. In that pop up my user name is again clickable and that pulls up my profile page—I think it should display Arlington VA to you... let me know!

While this doesn’t trickle down to visibility right here at the forum posting level, I believe you can choose to reveal your location on your Profile page. You have to populate the field then, I think, activate the Settings feature that lets others see it...?
If you click my user name right here in this post you get a pop up with like, my forum stats. In that pop up my user name is again clickable and that pulls up my profile page—I think it should display Arlington VA to you... let me know!

Yes it does display that.

Well, somehow I missed the fact that it also appears on the initial pop up when I click on my name, and I don't have to click the second time… Just noticed that later this evening.

As far as identifying e-bike(s) you own, add it to your signature. That is what I have done.

I was on another big forum with usernames, and we decided to re-name ourselves with "_place" after our names. For example:
"ebikemom_us" since I'm from the US. Could even be
"ebikemom_usWA" to give country and state/province.

@Ann M. could let us know if it is possible to re-name ourselves. Then, those who desire to show their location in their username could do so, and the information would be easily accessible to readers of posts.

--ebikemom_usWA

@JayVee i can see it says Switzerland...

@rich c and @ebikemom here's what I'm talking about, in screenshots:

IMG_0200.jpg IMG_0201.jpg IMG_0202.jpg

I'm from Albuquerque, New Mexico, and the wife and I are both 52

I am also on car forums and you have an option to list your location, age, or clever tag line under your avatar. We also have an option to upload an animated avatar if the file isn't too big. On one forum, there is a "thanks" button and it keeps track of how many times you give and received a "thanks" in X amount of threads. They also let you put a signature block that appears under every comment if you want to give more details about your vehicle or want to have a clever notation after every comment. There is another page once you click your avatar ID name to show additional pics of your ride and any past/current/future mods.

Sample signature block:
2014 Transeo GT XL 700X40c commuter bike (retired and collecting dust in garage)

Sample Avatar:

mrgold35
Get Out of the Left Lane!

@ebikemom, the forum isn't set up so that you can change your own username. Any member can contact me and I will do that for them.

@JayVee, if I hover my mouse over your name or avatar, info pops up indicating that you are from Switzerland. Is that not correct?

Age 52 from Portland, OR. It would be nice to be able to see a person's location. With my first Ebike, it would be nice to connect with others in my area and maybe form an Ebiker's gang.

I know you can hover and see it but I am impatient and would rather scroll down quickly and look than scroll, stop, hover to the right place and wait for the popup. In researching, finding comments from local people helped me make my decision but it was time consuming to stop and hover on everyone's avatar, especially when going through pages and pages of comments.

Last edited:
Everyone; please be patient on this matter. You have all presented some interesting ideas and we know that some software exists to allow members to choose to give more specific location information (I think @EddieJ might have a link to one example of this) and perhaps some modifications could be made to how our member names display; however, all of these cost $$. Please understand, Court does upgrades and modifications when possible or necessary but the site provides free access to all material- no fees for better material or posting rights like some other sites do and only shows ads from bike shops. So he budgets and remembers these recommendations.

Equally important, we respect every member's right to privacy about their personal name and location and how they chose to be contacted by the EBR site and members of the EBR Forum. Keep the ideas coming, please! :)

Everyone; please be patient on this matter. You have all presented some interesting ideas and we know that some software exists to allow members to choose to give more specific location information (I think @EddieJ might have a link to one example of this) and perhaps some modifications could be made to how our member names display; however, all of these cost $$. Please understand, Court does upgrades and modifications when possible or necessary but the site provides free access to all material- no fees for better material or posting rights like some other sites do and only shows ads from bike shops. So he budgets and remembers these recommendations.

Equally important, we respect every member's right to privacy about their personal name and location and how they chose to be contacted by the EBR site and members of the EBR Forum. Keep the ideas coming, please! :)
We’re not in a hurry Ann. Maybe the first step would be to add a donate button. That could eliminate the financial issue. I will be one of the first to donate. Love talking eBikes. If privacy does concern some, maybe something as simple as country would even help. There are keys to country of residence with terms like engine, and kph. But when folks ask for help it sure is beneficial to consider laws and climate. Keep up the great effort!

Rich, Court used to have a pale "donate" link after the first post of every new thread but he said it didn't help much. However, an actual button that appears with each page might be more effective. Court's been concerned that ads detract from the site and forum and might imply some implicit brand bias although he is very careful to be fair with all brands and models when doing his reviews.

What do you think of the idea of an EBR t-shirt with some cute phrase?

I'd buy a shirt to support. Maybe start a thread to get a consensus for design, colors and price people are willing to pay.

Edit: I've had conversations with friends recently about the lack of apparel offered by the ebike industry in the U.S. The industry is missing an additional revenue stream and easy promotion. A casual style mtb Jersey would be nice. There are easy order websites that offer jerseys for clubs. Minimum orders are small and they will design per the customer's specifications.

Last edited:
Back