Could there be a way to list where we live?

I have noticed that a few people have inadvertently posted photos... that someone could use to figure out where they live.
To check where a photo on the EBR Forum was taken, click the photo to enlarge it and then right-click to download it - or the equivalent on your device (I'm using a MacBook Pro). If the photo was taken on a smartphone, location data will probably be included in the file.

Below is one of my photos downloaded from EBR (not the original on my computer). It's been opened in the HoudahGeo app to reveal location information available to anyone.
mbc_houdah_geo.jpg

Probably most photos on the forum are taken on smartphones which embed GPS data in the photo file which is then uploaded. That's fine for photos in the Where You Ride Your Ebikes thread; not so good if you’ve photographed your pride and joy in your garden for the Let's See Your Best Pic thread

Before I upload a photo taken at home (this includes photos of bike racks, pedals, mudguards, kickstands, and so on), I open the photo file in an app like HoudahGeo or Adobe Bridge and blank out the location data.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
That is super interesting.
The way I post photos is to post a screenshot of the photo. @David Berry , am I safe to assume that a screenshot would not have location information? Here's an example: This lovely shot is of the traffic I would have had to be sitting in if I had driven my car to my destination yesterday. Cycling meant that I could take a different, parallel street that cars aren't allowed on during rush hour, and missed all of the other traffic also by using sidewalks/bike lanes and taking a bike path. OH--the photo does have a garage sale sign that would give some regional information IN the photo--that also would be something to consider when posting photos!! Here's the photo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 10.21.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 10.21.03 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 606
Am I safe to assume that a screenshot would not have location information?
Yes! Screenshots don't record where they were made so no one will be able to track down Amy's favourite Starbucks haunt!
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys! we talked about the idea and I worked with my developer friend to add a new field for "location" so users can share where they are from. It appears when you hover over a profile picture or avatar but may not be present for older users... Perhaps we will have a map or other flair in the future, but we are working on some other bugs in the meantime. Thanks for your great ideas and patience as we make this space as great as we can :D

Sincerely,
Court

Revisiting the topic of finding other riders...

I follow an adventure motorcycling forum (advrider.com) that has subforums (subfora?) for geographical regions (not each state). They are very helpful subforums for the people who live in the various regions as well as for the people who plan to visit the various regions. Riders in each region are not necessarily close enough geographically to ride together, but the ride reports posted in one’s region are fantastic ways to discover nearby rides and develop a rapport with nearby virtual friends. I would love to see this option here in EBR.

Another idea is to let ebike manufacturers and ebike accessories advertise on the shirt with their logos. This could offset the cost of making the shirt. Just maybe, a crazy thought.

Back