Convert my 80s Peugeot to electric or get a new electric?

This would be a fun project. I love classic bikes with lugged frames. Here is a British one I did about six-months ago. The battery goes in the water bottle cage. You can see the connector. It is 85Nm. And here is a new red bike that made electric last week for a woman who just moved here from Japan. She will be trying a carless life style for one year. Just beef up the tires and brakes on the Peugeot and you will have a better bike than the ones from stores.
View attachment 113937
View attachment 113938
I´m sold. Even with virtually unlimited range my gas/electric hybrid will never remotely look that clean. My
Univega with Tange Pro tubing is the perfect candidate,(frame set just 3 1/2 pds.) With that kit I could
confuse the hell out of the carbon spandexters as this white-haired old hippy zooms past*. Could send me
a personal with the specifics on what I´d need to order. This is next on my projects list.
*that is if their bike bike is not hanging on the back of an Audi.

Last edited:
John, I don't sell anything or ship anything and do not have a recipe or formula. Each bike is different. I am just a mechanic with a little workshop. The motor is torque sensing. You can search for them. The six-pin is much cleaner that the more common eight-pin. I am crazy for this $299 Target cream colored bike. That was a clean build. It looks like they want $329 now. The Univega would be cool.
1644949607375.jpeg

John, I don't sell anything or ship anything and do not have a recipe or formula. Each bike is different. I am just a mechanic with a little workshop. The motor is torque sensing. You can search for them. The six-pin is much cleaner that the more common eight-pin. I am crazy for this $299 Target cream colored bike. That was a clean build. It looks like they want $329 now. The Univega would be cool.
View attachment 114390
Wasn´t looking to get kit from you; just wanted to know what kit to get. I understand it´s probly 36v. but
know nothing beyond that. Those bikes are elegant; I want to build one. The hybrid has been cobbled together
in a struggle where everything has fought me all the way. It is ugly though functional, sort of a spruce goose.
It´ll fly, but not sure I want to be seen on it.:rolleyes:

John, Some guy from Eastern Europe accused me of selling stuff here, so I am sensitive. I just want to encourage others. I mostly use TSDZ2 motors. Sometimes Bafangs. 36V & 350W is very nice. Do not install a speed sensor or throttle. Those will make life suck. I came upon not installing them by accident. It makes for a HUGE improvement.
One more thing. There is a secret compartment behind the chainring. It is for hiding extra wires so you do not have a zip tie mess at the HB.
Check this guy's build! Then one of mine.

Attachments

• BadBuilds4.JPG
    BadBuilds4.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 157
  • BadBuilds5.JPG
    BadBuilds5.JPG
    265.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Badbuilds6.JPG
    Badbuilds6.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 155
  • BadBuilds7.JPG
    BadBuilds7.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 160
  • MarinWireless1.JPG
    MarinWireless1.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 153
  • MarinWireless2.JPG
    MarinWireless2.JPG
    440.5 KB · Views: 157
  • MarinWireless3.JPG
    MarinWireless3.JPG
    323.2 KB · Views: 143
  • MarinWireless4.JPG
    MarinWireless4.JPG
    248.4 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
This is good information @PedalUma. So it seems like a mid-drive motor is the way to go. So if I'm going up a steep hill can you climb a hill pretty effortlessly?

I'm going to be out of town for a while but when I come back I may start thinking about converting my bike. I also like your Scwhinn's position being more upright. I'm not sure if something like that would be good for me being about 6'1". I'm also a little concerned about doing this modification with my French bike. Everything is a little trickier with that just gives these minor headaches when trying to do any modifications.

This is good information @PedalUma. So it seems like a mid-drive motor is the way to go. So if I'm going up a steep hill can you climb a hill pretty effortlessly?

I'm going to be out of town for a while but when I come back I may start thinking about converting my bike. I also like your Scwhinn's position being more upright. I'm not sure if something like that would be good for me being about 6'1". I'm also a little concerned about doing this modification with my French bike. Everything is a little trickier with that just gives these minor headaches when trying to do any modifications.
I am not saying that Target bike is for you. I am saying that you can take a less expensive bike and make it nice. A guy posted the price tag today on a $18,049.99 bike. That is not for you either. I joked him that that must be the price in Turkish lira.
@john peck, a Univega just came in.

John,
I priced out what it would take to fix this old Univega. $595. That motivated me. I just purchased two new bikes with classic lines for $549 each and another $45 for nice matching racks. That is about the same money as the old bike's repair. I will convert them to sell. I paid a kid at the bike shop the equivalent of a 12 pack of IPA to drop them off after work today. If I repaired the Univega it would still be an old bike. These two are sweet. They MSRP at $700 each. I think it is a great deal.

Attachments

• C7Blush.jpg
    C7Blush.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 139
  • C7BlushRack.jpg
    C7BlushRack.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 146
  • V7White.jpg
    V7White.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 130
Wasn´t looking to get kit from you; just wanted to know what kit to get. I understand it´s probly 36v. but
know nothing beyond that. Those bikes are elegant; I want to build one. The hybrid has been cobbled together
in a struggle where everything has fought me all the way. It is ugly though functional, sort of a spruce goose.
It´ll fly, but not sure I want to be seen on it.:rolleyes:
ebikes.ca for RTR kits. Amazing quality.

PedalUma: I've told you this before, but the ebikes you make look incredible. I'd love to try one someday.

I've been meaning to ask you this for a while: how would you respond to somebody who says that ebikes need to be built different than regular bikes, and that transforming a regular bike into an ebike via a kit is asking for trouble? You mentioned that ebikes should have better brakes than a regular bike, and this makes sense. Is there any other way that you think ebikes should be built different than regular bikes? I'm very interested in hearing your general opinion on this topic, and how

Again, I very much respect what you do. The ebikes you make look incredibly clean.

I think that someone only selling factory made ebikes might say such a thing. I would not convert most road bikes. Those are designed for race day to win that race that day. They are already pushing the limits in every way. You need some margin. They have drilled out chains to save grams. I turned down converting that red one this weekend. I also think that someone without experience might say such a thing. Not out of malice or self interest but because they just do not know. I like steel frames a lot. But many bikes are aluminum and that is fine. Mountain bikes are very good. They are strong and tough. You can just swap tires. Here is one I rode three times today. I put a stronger drivetrain on it and ditched the mountain bar for a gravel bar. A Boda Boda makes a wonderful commuter. It has extra strong wheels and carries 250 pounds on the rack. Here is a green one.

Attachments

• Chisel02.JPG
    Chisel02.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Chisel01.JPG
    Chisel01.JPG
    627.2 KB · Views: 158
  • bDSCF7451.JPG
    bDSCF7451.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 145
  • BodaXMc.JPG
    BodaXMc.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 143
  • BodaXMd.JPG
    BodaXMd.JPG
    289.9 KB · Views: 138
  • BodaXMe.JPG
    BodaXMe.JPG
    328.9 KB · Views: 146
  • BodaXMf.JPG
    BodaXMf.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 151
  • BodaXMg.JPG
    BodaXMg.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 150
I have a 80s road bike that's extremely light. I've swapped the drop bars for more of a straight bar and it now has a rack in the back. I have some pretty skinny tires on there as well.

I'm just wondering if I were to convert this to an electric, do you have any suggestions for what type of battery to get? I'm new to the topic of electric bikes but am very curious.

I would mostly be using it for commuting around town. I live in Pittsburgh and there are a number of potholes around and the drivers are not the most bike friendly.
If you really like the bike... I say go for it. Follow @PedalUma 's style/lead and you'll be good to go.
Wait! Are the shifters on the downtube? I haven't seen that since... Well 1980's!

You can get a low end 29er with disc brakes and make a bike with a kit that will perform awesome. I think disc brakes are a must have after working on my wife's v brakes all the time. She rides her E Bike every day and we have big hills. I converted her Trek Pure to disc brakes by making custom mounting brackets. Big tires are really comfortable as well 29er = 700c 29x2.35 or 29x2.6 Johnny Watts. Any bike will do but start with something fun to ride. The kits I used are all hub drives 1000-1500watts. Front drive for the fat tire, rear drive for the other 4 including my tadpole 3 wheeler. If I'm riding road, it's the tadpole If I'm on trails It's the fat tire. $700ish for a kit and battery. I'll post some pics as soon as it warms up here.

John, Some guy from Eastern Europe accused me of selling stuff here, so I am sensitive. I just want to encourage others. I mostly use TSDZ2 motors. Sometimes Bafangs. 36V & 350W is very nice. Do not install a speed sensor or throttle. Those will make life suck. I came upon not installing them by accident. It makes for a HUGE improvement.
One more thing. There is a secret compartment behind the chainring. It is for hiding extra wires so you do not have a zip tie mess at the HB.
Check this guy's build! Then one of mine.
That looks good next to mine. Even after internally running the main power. I have an ungodly snarl of
cable, half on which was too long & some too short requiring extensions. 2 throttles. gas & electric, brake
cutoffs that were 3 times as long as needed coiled on my light bar. & two shifters. It sorta looks like a trout net,
but I have a bar bag that hides it all. I sawed the batry mount off my dead CCS cuz I have 4 dorado bats.
It´s a tad ungainly, but modified to take 2 sizes of bats as long as I strap ´em in with a 6¨ hose clamp.
On the +side I have 2 whl drive on demand. On a long pass climb the gas keeps the batry from cooking,
& the e-motor keeps the belt drive from overstress, that & a 300+ mile range with 2150w of power if needed.

Show a photo John. I love it. My first conversion was a Bafang Mid on a new 650B (27.5) $299 on sale MTB from Dick's Sporting Goods. Here it is. It was mess. But I was happy because of my investment in ownership and creativity. Avoid a hub motor if you can.

Attachments

• DSCF6642.JPG
    DSCF6642.JPG
    913.6 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCF6645.JPG
    DSCF6645.JPG
    621.7 KB · Views: 141
  • DSCF6665.JPG
    DSCF6665.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 148
P.S. Top spd is 36 mph, but the modified kit is geared specifically for a comfortable cadence that
uses very little fuel at 13 to 18 mph starting just above idle at 3200 rpm. It mushes at bike speeds
but can still pedal without power, 42/34/24 chainring, 32/11 freewneel.

Show a photo John. I love it. My first conversion was a Bafang Mid on a new 650B (27.5) $299 on sale MTB from Dick's Sporting Goods. Here it is. It was mess. But I was happy because of my investment in ownership and creativity. Avoid a hub motor if you can
I probly shudda coffed up for a mid drive, wudda simplfied things a lot, but hey. 2 whl drive. My old 1080
camera needs a batry & sd card, but i might get a bit of charge if i shoot a couple quick.

Those bikes arrived, almost an hour late. I am so happy. Look at how the rims match the frames.
1644980241791.jpeg

Attachments

• C7Blush1.JPG
    C7Blush1.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 125
If you really like the bike... I say go for it. Follow @PedalUma 's style/lead and you'll be good to go.
Wait! Are the shifters on the downtube? I haven't seen that since... Well 1980's!
My last bike had shifters on the downtube. I was quite surprised when I started looking at eBikes and discovered the shifters on the handlebar... GollyGee ... what will they think of next 😀

@Gionnirocket That's right this is a classic!
@PedalUma (I'm assuming your name is a play on Petaluma) Have you ever done a fixed gear mid-drive conversion? I'm wondering if you're getting the extra help from the motor would a fixie be a good option? Also, currently my bike has 700x26c tires (Panaracer Gravelking). My friend said these are the best tires and you have to pay a little extra for that. Are there any specific brands you like to use for gravel tires? The tires aren't that old but they certainly are thin. Given that extra speed on an e-bike would something like a 28c tire give you a lot of extra stability? I'm not sure what the max width I could get on my Peugeot but sometimes I wonder if my tires are a little too thin for this pothole-ridden city of bad drivers.

Back